Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Just have to try the Deleon

ToneTime

What can I say, I really like Tesoro metal detectors. I got another one on the way, the Deleon. I tell myself I don't need anymore detectors but the more I read about them the more I want to try them out. I think I have a problem, anyway how do you guys run the Deleon? I really like the style of one tone detectors going by sound, most places I do great with them, but there is a very trashy park nearby that has been driving me crazy. I thought maybe the TID ranges could maybe help me out here. There is just about every kind of pull tab and melted metal you could imagine, old beavertails to somewhat modern tabs by the thousands. So far I have managed to find a merc and some old Wheaties including a 1910 running a higher discrimination but know there has to be some other good stuff here. I want to run a lower discrimination but every time I do I end up getting frustrated spending my day digging nothing but pulltabs. Maybe this is the way it is but looking for any tips for the Deleon or any of the other detectors I use. Don't get my wrong, I do dig a fair amount of trash and I know that is a part of the hobby but this park seems over the top. Thanks, ToneTime.

If your digging that many pulltabs and other trash. It must be a popular spot to picnic or party. Has to tell you the place was never hit that hard. If they drive you crazy, they probably drove others crazy, so they left.

How much of that trash is masking a ton of goodies a bit deeper? Use a 5.75" coil. Pick a 8x8 area, clean it out, keep going back over until you get no more targets with the Silver and or Outlaw. Then try a larger coil for deeper targets.
Then go back in for the final kill with the Tejon with the 5.75 coil. If your 8x8 patch proves out to produce some excellent finds, try another 8x8 patch.

The Deleon probably won't help you much since you already know there's plenty of pulltabs etc in the area. And if there's trash masking, any ID machine is not going to be accurate.

It's a lot of work to hunt such a trashy spot, which are not for everyone. If you have the patience and time, that spot might be worth it. If you are getting pulltabs down to 7". Place maybe a gold mine. Personally hate hunting such places.

I run my Deleon just above iron and just watch the numbers. You will learn pretty quick the range that the tabs are falling in. Using the numbers in conjunction with the bar graph is the secret. The numbers can jump around some but you will get what its telling you if you watch the bar graph too. It separates really well so move slow and watch for the good numbers. Most women's rings come in below nickel so pay attention to the numbers in that foil rang. Nickels can be difficult as they are close to square tabs but the bar graph should help. Go slow in that trash and watch for 95's.

Sven said:
If your digging that many pulltabs and other trash. It must be a popular spot to picnic or party. Has to tell you the place was never hit that hard. If they drive you crazy, they probably drove others crazy, so they left.

How much of that trash is masking a ton of goodies a bit deeper? Use a 5.75" coil. Pick a 8x8 area, clean it out, keep going back over until you get no more targets with the Silver and or Outlaw. Then try a larger coil for deeper targets.
Then go back in for the final kill with the Tejon with the 5.75 coil. If your 8x8 patch proves out to produce some excellent finds, try another 8x8 patch.

The Deleon probably won't help you much since you already know there's plenty of pulltabs etc in the area. And if there's trash masking, any ID machine is not going to be accurate.

It's a lot of work to hunt such a trashy spot, which are not for everyone. If you have the patience and time, that spot might be worth it. If you are getting pulltabs down to 7". Place maybe a gold mine. Personally hate hunting such places.

Sven is right on target with this suggestion. I have a couple of favorite areas that are exactly as you describe. One is a park that is well over a hundred years old overlooking the bay. I have pulled a few silvers out of this area that in the trashy areas. One was a 1894 Barber quarter in excellent condition.

I pick a small area about 20 x 20 feet and remove 20 or so trash targets everytime I am there. This way I don't leave it all dug up. Eventually you get enough trash out of the way. The coins are there and others have just passed on this area because of all the trash. I love trashy areas. The park I am talking about has been hit with detectors since they were made, yet I still find silver- it's in the trash areas. Looking at your detector list you have a great arsenal to get the job done. I agree with Sven use the DeLeon or Outlaw for the initial cleaning, the come back with the Tejon and finish the site off!

Also WheatyMike has some great experience and advice for you on the DeLeon. The DeLeon is next on my list!

It looks as though you've got the tools for what you want to do. Whether the D will be an improvement over what you already have remains to be seen when you try it. I run my D with the sens at 7 - 8 and the disc between iron and foil with good results in less trashy places. Where you describe really heavy trash, my thinking is use the smallest coil you have, regardless or what detector.
BB

Thanks guys for all the information you provided! I will just try one small area at a time like suggested, that will probably help me get to see what all is there with the trash. I tend to just detect in a straight line from one point to the other, habit probably but you got me thinking about this square section idea. Even though I got those other detectors I can't wait to try out the Deleon. I will use the 5.75" coil for sure. Thanks for the tip on the numbers and bar graph in conjunction with each other, I will keep an eye on this for sure. How about the sound qualities the Deleon has? I hope it's similar to the silver Umax! Thanks, ToneTime.

The DeLeon is a very powerful machine.....if you are using it in a very trashy area, I would suggest keeping the sensitivity down to 2-3 to start off with. This amount of sensitivity will give you depth to approx 4-5" (providing the ground is not too bad in terms of mineralisation). By keeping the sensitivity low, you are giving the detector a chance to be selective with its targets. HH

After using the Vaq and a 4" Concentric that small Snipe coil would be my suggestion
I will be buying one for my Silver ASAP, or better yet ordering the Outlaw with one
and then I'll have the bases covered with the 4" and my stock 8" Concentric and I
have a Widescan 12x10....

As for sound quality. If I run mine just above iron, most all the small bits of foil and can slaw seem to give off a scratchy sound on the edges. If I get a number in the range of say 10 and 30 and it is clean sounding I always dig it. Also you really have to pay attention to the more faint hits. I sometime get in the habit of just listening for the hard hitters. But, those faint sweet sounds are were its at.

Great advice here, thanks to all.
Everyone likes cherrypicking and clean ground hunting.
But where there's trash, there will be goodies.
I love trashy ground, but then again I have a high tolerance for pain! Lol
Most folks disregard the mental side of hunting to a certain degree. Detecting teaches patience and focus.
I don't like hunting when I'm distracted by work issues and the like that clutter mind.
Hunting small patches thoroughly as stated by others here is one of the better ways of .notord. getting discouraged.d.d
So bring on the trash!
Cheers!

Make sure you let us know how you like that Deleon! That is the next Tesoro on my list.

Will do, soon as we get through this stormy period and I get time I will be out with the Deleon to try it out. Seems like every time set out to detect a storm rolls through. Got to love this time of year with the pop up thunderstorms.

I have also pulled the trigger on a new Deleon, and I'm very excited. I have owned a Cibola, so I'm familiar with Tesoro.
I must say, the Deleon seems impressive. I just wish there were more info and videos out there.
Getting info from you guys that use the Deleon has been very helpful.

You won't regret it. My Deleon scored silver #14 of the year this morning. I think you will find that the Deleon loves silver.

Thanks guys for all the replys. I had the Deleon out for a short time today down at the river where I grew up fishing. I realized there is an awful lot of trash down there. Although I didn't dig any coins today I am learning that the this detector gives a lot of information. It can almost be overwhelming at first but I need to give it more time. One thing I did notice is that the detector overloads a lot and tells you to lift coil. I think this is good, even when the sound is quiet like on large iron you get this information that let's me know to slow down and work around these large items. On my other Tesoro I wonder how often targets were being masked by large iron and I was not aware. The ID bounced around a lot but I expected that on trash items. I found a few larger split shot that the ID was stable. I am going to spend some more time with this machine this week at a local park. I got a lot to learn but this is what I Iike in learning a new machine, it's not always about finding good stuff but the challenge of understanding the detector.

[attachment 294319 1404180861759.jpg]
Went out with the Deleon to some lookouts on the mountain road this evening. I am starting to figure out the charectoristics of this machine. I used the 5.75 coil and concentrated on the audio this time. I then checked what the meter was trying to say before I dug. The audio does not seem to have quite the modulation that I'm use to with my other machines so it will take some getting use to but shouldn't be too bad. For a coin shooter this machine should fit the bill just well. With the other machines I have I got a great arsenal to adapt to all off my hunting areas. For the summer with the dry hard dirt I think the D will be great. The other areas I hunt are all but un-huntable at the moment with all the weeds and bugs, freaking bugs and ticks are bad this year. I will be going to some public parks with lakes soon.

[attachment 294522 1404438059212.jpg]
Getting to know the Deleon and it's a good machine. I am enjoying using it and learning what it's telling me. I went up on another trail that overlooks the railroad tracks and leads to a good fishing spot. Got me some coins and a silver dime. 1961. I was happy to see it pop out of about 4" of dirt. There was a 22 casing just about 2" away but the D locked onto both targets and separated them real well with the 5.75". I am happy I got this detector and to anyone thinking about getting one I would reccomend it. Happy 4th to you all.

I bet a Deleon with a Tesoro 5 x 10 Widescan coil would be just awesome. Especially if the coil is calibrated to the detector by Tesoro.

tabman

I'll bet, I love that coil on the Tejon, if it was available for the Umax that would be sweet!