Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Memorial Day.. for my American friends

Micheal_R

Staff member
Nothing more to be said

memorialday.jpg

Calm seas, Fair winds

Micheal

Last edited:

Greg(E.Tn)

Thank you so very, very much for that, Mikie.

Tomorrow I take my 89 year old mom to the cemetery where her husband of 64 years, her father, uncles, cousins, all veterans, lie buried.

She calls it "Decoration Day", and yes, technically, it falls on Monday, but we do it on the Sabbath.

I offer to let her sit in the car and let me place the flags, but she insists on doing it herself, even if it rains.

She misses my dad so, so much...…..but she still keeps on, keeping on.

Digger

Staff member
Thanks Micheal
Our mom's sound a lot alike Greg. My mom will soon be 88. They too had been married 64 years when my dad passed away 5 years ago. Decoration Day has always been a special day for our family. As far back as I can remember, we'd gather up the peonies, iris and ferns and decorate our relatives graves. Dad was a WWII Veteran and always made sure my brother and I honored those whose memory the flags represented, and understood the real reason we were there. My dad's only brother was also in WWII, as well as his uncle, my mom's only brother and her uncle. I've had family in every war this Nation has been involved in since the Revolutionary War. So Decoration Day is special!
Like many other days, I went to the nursing home today to visit with mom. I have to stand outside her window and call her on my cell phone, due to the Covid-19 "lock down". On my way to the nursing home, my brother called to tell me he was going up to visit dad at the cemetery. As I spoke with mom, I could sense she was concerned we wouldn't be able to decorate graves this weekend, again, due to her being restricted to her room. Needless to say, she was elated when my brother called her from the cemetery. I plan to go to the cemetery on Monday, taking what few peonies are blooming, and will call my mom again, while my brother visits with her through her window. These are difficult times for everyone. But they are particularly difficult for nursing home residents who can't have visitors or leave their rooms. As I said before, Decoration Day is Special. And we do what we do for family. That is how our dad raised us.

Last edited:

Micheal_R

Staff member
My father was one of those veterans as many know... he celebrated [actually the wrong word I guess].. your memorial day in the US.

Observed is actually a better term.. He was a commando... but in his latter years, he talked a bit about the war.. and mentioned that the US soldiers were tops in his book

when it came to fighting..

I too miss my father..

Calm seas

Micheal

Missouri--Ma Betty

Thanks Micheal
Our mom's sound a lot alike Greg. My mom will soon be 88. They too had been married 64 years when my dad passed away 5 years ago. Decoration Day has always been a special day for our family. As far back as I can remember, we'd gather up the peonies, iris and ferns and decorate our relatives graves. Dad was a WWII Veteran and always made sure my brother and I honored those whose memory the flags represented, and understood the real reason we were there. My dad's only brother was also in WWII, as well as his uncle, my mom's only brother and her uncle. I've had family in every war this Nation has been involved in since the Revolutionary War. So Decoration Day is special!
Like many other days, I went to the nursing home today to visit with mom. I have to stand outside her window and call her on my cell phone, due to the Covid-19 "lock down". On my way to the nursing home, my brother called to tell me he was going up to visit dad at the cemetery. As I spoke with mom, I could sense she was concerned we wouldn't be able to decorate graves this weekend, again, due to her being restricted to her room. Needless to say, she was elated when my brother called her from the cemetery. I plan to go to the cemetery on Monday, taking what few peonies are blooming, and will call my mom again, while my brother visits with her through her window. These are difficult times for everyone. But they are particularly difficult for nursing home residents who can't have visitors or leave their rooms. As I said before, Decoration Day is Special. And we do what we do for family. That is how our dad raised us.
I, too, not only remember but was a part of the Decoration Day at the cemetery--I am almost 85 & mom would pick fresh flowers & place them on the graves of our family to remember them who had gone on before us! We also had the gathering on Sunday with the preacher & his wife--singing the old hymns & then the preaching & then dinner on the ground before or after the preaching! That too wasn't like it used to be as those who stayed gathered around the outdoor tables while others left to gather with their families somewhere else. We slowly had less & less people as my mom & dad & the elderly passed away! Too many too far away & too busy BUT my family & our cousins attended, unless it rained too much & the creeks were up, until a high water bridge made crossing the main creek easier without drowning out the cars! Before any bridge low water or high-water one was built the cars would get stuck in the soft gravel & needed help getting them out!

I can't attend any more as too hilly & rocky for me to get around! I use a cane or a wheelchair but still a problem outdoors! Therefore, as long as you can help take care of & visit the graves of loved ones & friends do so, as mortal life passes so quickly & soon our bodies of clay are buried with our soul living on either in heaven or in hell according to whom we believe in & serve while mortal, either Jesus for everlasting life or for satan to be cast into the Lake of Fire. I love Jesus & serve Him & I hope & pray my Findmall Forum & CMD family do too! God Bless the veterans & all those still living & able to visit cemeteries with or without help! Amen! Ma Betty

Confetrit

Thank you so very, very much for that, Mikie.

Tomorrow I take my 89 year old mom to the cemetery where her husband of 64 years, her father, uncles, cousins, all veterans, lie buried.

She calls it "Decoration Day", and yes, technically, it falls on Monday, but we do it on the Sabbath.

I offer to let her sit in the car and let me place the flags, but she insists on doing it herself, even if it rains.

She misses my dad so, so much...…..but she still keeps on, keeping on.
Greg, give your Mom a big Hug from me. God Bless her and all other widows of veterans, and All Veterans Themselves both living and past. Through all our turmoil, we are still A Blessed and Free America. Happy Veterans Day. You sir are a Good Son.

Confetrit

My father was one of those veterans as many know... he celebrated [actually the wrong word I guess].. your memorial day in the US.

Observed is actually a better term.. He was a commando... but in his latter years, he talked a bit about the war.. and mentioned that the US soldiers were tops in his book

when it came to fighting..

I too miss my father..

Calm seas

Micheal
Micheal, you got it right. Your Father was a Veteran of that terrible war. If one fought to bring down the Nazis and the Imperial Empire, we recognize them too. Had it not been for their efforts and sacrifice our language today would have been German and or Japanese. We Salute your Father and his service. Happy Memorial Day.