Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My mamma always said if you could hear thunder, you could get struck by lightning. But what if it strikes before the sound reaches you?

Greg(E.Tn)

Or, what happens if originates, say 700 kilometers away?

" The UN's weather agency announced Thursday the longest lightning bolt on record—a single flash in Brazil on October 31, 2018 that cut the sky across more than 700 kilometers. "
That is equivalent to the distance between Boston and Washington DC in the United States, or between London and Basel, Switzerland, the World Meteorological Organization said in a statement. "

The second link is a video of a lightning strike that skipped of the lake bank, hit the water, then apparently took off at a right angle up the channel.

Watch real close and you can see the spark and it hit the water:

bulletman

Bet there were a lot of dead fish after that strike. When I was about 13 years old and visiting at a friends house, a storm blew in. We had just started eating spaghetti for supper. He and I were seated at the bar when the house took a direct hit from lightning. Instantly, I was airborne out of a metal barstool and landed a good 10 feet away. The lightning had run through the house wiring and jumped out of an electrical outlet and into my barstool. I took a high degree of voltage, my arm was in pain and hand swollen and burnt from where the voltage jumped out of my hand holding a metal fork. It was pitch black in the house, and the only way you could see was from the burning phone line running up the wall. The attic caught fire from all the wiring burning. Luckily, the fire dept was less than a half mile away and they stopped the fire quickly. Storms around here command my respect as we get violent ones. Interesting video Greg!

GeorgeinSC

My detectors will false when there is lightning within a number of miles of me. Watched a storm that was barely visible over the horizon. before I would see the flash of the lightning my Xcal would false. Had to be in excess of 30 miles from me to the storm. When my machines start falsing I start looking for dark clouds. And I get my decrepit old body off the beach or to shelter when dirt fishing.

Micheal_R

Staff member
My detectors will false when there is lightning within a number of miles of me. Watched a storm that was barely visible over the horizon. before I would see the flash of the lightning my Xcal would false. Had to be in excess of 30 miles from me to the storm. When my machines start falsing I start looking for dark clouds. And I get my decrepit old body off the beach or to shelter when dirt fishing.
I was diving when a similar thing happened to me, George.. sudden crackling in the headphone.. came up, saw the lightning

and left the water with very good speed.

Calm seas

Micheal

calfrope

Or, what happens if originates, say 700 kilometers away?

" The UN's weather agency announced Thursday the longest lightning bolt on record—a single flash in Brazil on October 31, 2018 that cut the sky across more than 700 kilometers. "
That is equivalent to the distance between Boston and Washington DC in the United States, or between London and Basel, Switzerland, the World Meteorological Organization said in a statement. "

The second link is a video of a lightning strike that skipped of the lake bank, hit the water, then apparently took off at a right angle up the channel.

Watch real close and you can see the spark and it hit the water:

You know Greg, there is another ole saying,”If you are ever bit by a snapping turtle, they won’t let go until they hear thunder”. After watching that video I can understand why now. :LOL:

hawgdawg

You know Greg, there is another ole saying,”If you are ever bit by a snapping turtle, they won’t let go until they hear thunder”. After watching that video I can understand why now. :LOL:
Theres another old saying about snapping turtles,, is if you chop off their head ,, it will stay alive for 24 hours ,, which means don't mess with it because it can still bite you. And I can attest to the head living for at least close to 24 hours ,, my grandpa told me that back in the 70s,, I would help him clean snappers we caught on trot lines in the swamps ,, he had the turtle snap down on a stick ,, then pull it out and pop him in the head with a 22cal. pistol. He told me to take the head to the edge of the swamp and throw it out,, that's when he told me the story of it living for 24 hours. So I laid the head beside a tree ,, went out the next day ,, and the head was still there clamped on the stick ,,, as soon as I touched the stick,,, his eyes popped open ,,, kind of freaky that was ,,, but grandpa was telling the truth.

calfrope

Theres another old saying about snapping turtles,, is if you chop off their head ,, it will stay alive for 24 hours ,, which means don't mess with it because it can still bite you. And I can attest to the head living for at least close to 24 hours ,, my grandpa told me that back in the 70s,, I would help him clean snappers we caught on trot lines in the swamps ,, he had the turtle snap down on a stick ,, then pull it out and pop him in the head with a 22cal. pistol. He told me to take the head to the edge of the swamp and throw it out,, that's when he told me the story of it living for 24 hours. So I laid the head beside a tree ,, went out the next day ,, and the head was still there clamped on the stick ,,, as soon as I touched the stick,,, his eyes popped open ,,, kind of freaky that was ,,, but grandpa was telling the truth.
Yes that is freaky. There is a part in the movie “Cool Hand Luke” that depicts a good scene of what a snapper is like.