Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not to get off topic but a gun question.........

Dan-MO

Bought a Walther Colt 1911 .22 cal rail gun .....from a friend (All legally done.......at least as of today) Pistol is in near mint condition, comes in the original factory hard case, with three 12 round magazine clips and a tactical light and laser sight. I consider myself an above average marksman with a rifle or shotgun........but don't have lots of experience with a handgun and am average at best. At a range of about 50 feet........after removing the laser and light......shooting without a rest, I emptied 3 clips (36 shots) and hit the paper plate every shot. The laser and light seemed bulky to me on the 5" barrel. I have never used a laser sight before.....is this something that takes some getting used to? Also trying to convince my wife that I bought it because I got a good deal on it.....a story she has heard many times over our 45 year marriage. At $275 for it all....what do you think? Do any of you gun guys have any experience with this gun? (Did not get it for home defense - just plinking and possibly small game)

Last edited:

carver

Great gun very accurate. Laser ok at night but not in daylight . Green will show up in daylight but you have to have good eyes to see it. Close might be OK. Good price.

Carver

Greg(E.Tn)

Bought a Walther Colt 1911 .22 cal rail gun .....from a friend (All legally done.......at least as of today) Pistol is in near mint condition, comes in the original factory hard case, with three 12 round magazine clips and a tactical light and laser sight. I consider myself an above average marksman with a rifle or shotgun........but don't have lots of experience with a handgun and am average at best. At a range of about 50 feet........after removing the laser and light......shooting without a rest, I emptied 3 clips (36 shots) and hit the paper plate every shot. The laser and light seemed bulky to me on the 5" barrel. I have never used a laser sight before.....is this something that takes some getting used to? Also trying to convince my wife that I bought it because I got a good deal on it.....a story she has heard many times over our 45 year marriage. At $275 for it all....what do you think? Do any of you gun guys have any experience with this gun? (Did not get it for home defense - just plinking and possibly small game)
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.

A (deceased) buddy of mine was a fine marksman with pistol, rifle, and shotgun, and competed professionally. He was a perfectionist where marksmanship was concerned, and wouldn't stop until he had fully mastered his weapon.

He showed me a target he once put a bunch of .45 caliber holes in--all were grouped within about a five inch group, and looking at the target, I noticed it was a standard NRA bullseye target for .22 marksmanship from a distance of 50 feet.

I commented that was fine shooting from 50 feet and he corrected me--he wasn't shooting from 50 feet, he was shooting from 50 yards.............

On another day he was shooting from 50 yards--he would shoot one round, check the target with a spotting scope, then shoot another, check, etc..

His first round was out of the bullseye--his second was farther out, his third hit the target support and spun the target to where it was angled at about 45 degrees, leaving him a much smaller target to shoot at.

He put is next seven in the X. :drinking:

Once he got tired of that, he got into trap shooting. At a tournament in Kentucky, he hit 100 out of 100.

Digger

Staff member
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal to me. The Colt 1911 frame is nice. You will have a great time with that one. I recently found several thousand rounds of 22 in an ammo box that I had forgotten I even had. Some boxes were price marked at $1.29, so you can imagine how long I've had them! I bought a Colt New Frontier Buntline 22 with both cylinders back in 1974, but decided it was too valuable now to just be plinking around. As many of you know, 9mm ammo is tough to find right now, and I don't need to be shooting targets with my 357 HPs. As to laser sights.....I have a Crimson Trace on one of my LCRs, and have yet to get use to it. I know it is a short barrel revolver. But at distances of 25 yards or more, it pisses me off because it shows me how much more my hands shake than they did just a few years back. :shrug::lol: So a couple weeks back, I bought a Ruger SR22 just to shoot targets and varmits. Well made and seems to take just about any ammo I can run through it. Get out and shoot that 1911 rail gun. You'll have a great time.

Ted S

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal to me. The Colt 1911 frame is nice. You will have a great time with that one. I recently found several thousand rounds of 22 in an ammo box that I had forgotten I even had. Some boxes were price marked at $1.29, so you can imagine how long I've had them! I bought a Colt New Frontier Buntline 22 with both cylinders back in 1974, but decided it was too valuable now to just be plinking around. As many of you know, 9mm ammo is tough to find right now, and I don't need to be shooting targets with my 357 HPs. As to laser sights.....I have a Crimson Trace on one of my LCRs, and have yet to get use to it. I know it is a short barrel revolver. But at distances of 25 yards or more, it pisses me off because it shows me how much more my hands shake than they did just a few years back. :shrug::lol: So a couple weeks back, I bought a Ruger SR22 just to shoot targets and varmits. Well made and seems to take just about any ammo I can run through it. Get out and shoot that 1911 rail gun. You'll have a great time.
SR 22 is a great gun! My wife bought one to compliment her Ruger SR 9. And I just got a Springfield 1911 A-1 in 9mm. To the OP...You got a good deal! Congrats!

GeorgeinSC

Bullet weight and ammo brand can make a real difference in accuracy of a gun. Sold firearms for years and had customers tell me that their fun was not accurate. If i could convince them to try different brands of ammo until they found one the gun liked i then became an expert in their view. One of the reasons that a lot of folks reload is tailoring the round to the barrel of the gun Even with 22 ammo brand can make a tremendous difference. I purchased a new 22 rifle. Went to every gun shop in the area. I purchased a variety of 22 ammo. One brand would not group in less than 3 inches at 50 yards and one brand would put ten shots inside a nickel at 50 yards.

Ronstar

As far as shooting accurately and using the laser.... grip is primary starting point. 22 doesnt recoil hard but remember to try and align the firearm straight along the forearm. Next, never move your head to find the the sights, sight alignment needs to come up to your eyes then sight picture come next. Always keep the front sight in focus, not the target. Lastly, the laser puts the dot on the target and the fired round should be close the dot when fired. A lot of firearm movement happens when you grip, squeeze, and fire the gun. Laser sights are extremely fast in target acquisition at relatively short distances. Most defensive shootings are under 7 yards so focus on the dot on the target. Just my two cents but it works, and nice firearm to acquire!!!

still looking 52

I remember back when I was a kid my dad had this 22 rifle with a scope and was target practicing with one of those pre- printed targets, he was hitting the center just about every shot and then this horse fly lands on target, he said I'm going to try and hit that horse fly on the target. He shot and we all thought he missed but when we got closer all you could see was two wings with a hole in the middle of the wings.

Dan-MO

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.

A (deceased) buddy of mine was a fine marksman with pistol, rifle, and shotgun, and competed professionally. He was a perfectionist where marksmanship was concerned, and wouldn't stop until he had fully mastered his weapon.

He showed me a target he once put a bunch of .45 caliber holes in--all were grouped within about a five inch group, and looking at the target, I noticed it was a standard NRA bullseye target for .22 marksmanship from a distance of 50 feet.

I commented that was fine shooting from 50 feet and he corrected me--he wasn't shooting from 50 feet, he was shooting from 50 yards.............

On another day he was shooting from 50 yards--he would shoot one round, check the target with a spotting scope, then shoot another, check, etc..

His first round was out of the bullseye--his second was farther out, his third hit the target support and spun the target to where it was angled at about 45 degrees, leaving him a much smaller target to shoot at.

He put is next seven in the X. :drinking:

Once he got tired of that, he got into trap shooting. At a tournament in Kentucky, he hit 100 out of 100.
Greg, I started out with a .22 single shot rifle. As a boy living in a very rural area, I fired it nearly every day - when I could scrounge up the .50 cents for a paper box of 50 shells. I used to shoot pennies with it - with open sights at a fair range. I have found and read of others finding shot thru cents with a detector......and it always brings a smile to my face at the memories. Another trick I used to do was throw a bottle in the air and bust it probably 9 out of 10 times with that old gun. The trick.....throw the bottle nearly straight up and when it reaches it's apex.....it will pause for a split second before it starts to fall.....take the shot THEN. I won a few dollars in wagers doing this.

My dad was a very dedicated quail hunter .....saved his vacation time for quail season, raised and trained bird dogs (Mainly English Setters) and we hunted quail 6 or 7 days a week during season. After a few seasons and when I got a little older I learned a few tricks about shooting quail. First, on a covey rise....you have a few seconds more time they you think. Take a extra second and pick out a individual bird to fire on...then move to another....many people will blindly shoot into the flock....most times getting nothing. Many times I got 3 birds with 3 shots on a covey rise.....and a few times got 4. Sadly Quail are nearly gone in my part of the world. Subdivisions now stand where dad and I used to hunt. Quail hunting with ny dad behind old Salty (Our best dog) on a crisp winter day are among my most precious memories.....

After cutting my teeth on quail.... trap shooting came almost easily to me. I shot competitively for a few years and held my own.....I have a few trophies lying around somewhere. Once , long after I quit competitive shooting, my son and a few of his friends talked me into going trap shooting with them. They were hitting the clay birds about half the time. My first round, I busted 9 out of 10.....they called me lucky....so I went another round and got 10 out of 10. They found a new respect for the old man's ability with a shotgun! Sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me re-live some memories. The world has certainly changed since those days.....

Greg(E.Tn)

Greg, I started out with a .22 single shot rifle. As a boy living in a very rural area, I fired it nearly every day - when I could scrounge up the .50 cents for a paper box of 50 shells. I used to shoot pennies with it - with open sights at a fair range. I have found and read of others finding shot thru cents with a detector......and it always brings a smile to my face at the memories. Another trick I used to do was throw a bottle in the air and bust it probably 9 out of 10 times with that old gun. The trick.....throw the bottle nearly straight up and when it reaches it's apex.....it will pause for a split second before it starts to fall.....take the shot THEN. I won a few dollars in wagers doing this.

My dad was a very dedicated quail hunter .....saved his vacation time for quail season, raised and trained bird dogs (Mainly English Setters) and we hunted quail 6 or 7 days a week during season. After a few seasons and when I got a little older I learned a few tricks about shooting quail. First, on a covey rise....you have a few seconds more time they you think. Take a extra second and pick out a individual bird to fire on...then move to another....many people will blindly shoot into the flock....most times getting nothing. Many times I got 3 birds with 3 shots on a covey rise.....and a few times got 4. Sadly Quail are nearly gone in my part of the world. Subdivisions now stand where dad and I used to hunt. Quail hunting with ny dad behind old Salty (Our best dog) on a crisp winter day are among my most precious memories.....

After cutting my teeth on quail.... trap shooting came almost easily to me. I shot competitively for a few years and held my own.....I have a few trophies lying around somewhere. Once , long after I quit competitive shooting, my son and a few of his friends talked me into going trap shooting with them. They were hitting the clay birds about half the time. My first round, I busted 9 out of 10.....they called me lucky....so I went another round and got 10 out of 10. They found a new respect for the old man's ability with a shotgun! Sorry for the long post and thanks for letting me re-live some memories. The world has certainly changed since those days.....
Sounds like some fine marksmanship to me, Dan.

I had an uncle in SW Virginia who was a fine shot with a .22. He was in the second World War, came home, and lived in some pretty hard times as you can imagine. My dad said he would go out hunting for rabbits with a single .22 shell in his gun, hunt all day, and often come back home with that same shell, as he couldn't afford to waste ammunition, even a single .22 cartridge.

My dad said he could hit a rabbit in the head while it was running; sometimes the only blood on it was a bit coming from his nose, because he shot the rabbit through the base of the ear in its head.

Ronstar

I recently found a picture of my father around 1939-40. He had a Remington Target Master Model 34 single shot. He was part of a Marksmanship class the High School offered to Seniors with good grades (he graduated 193:geek:. I knew the history of the rifle but never had a picture of him and the rifle. I plan on trying to recreate that photo and pass that rifle on to one of my sons. I learned firearms safety with that rifle, earned my Marksmanship merit badge in Scouts, and taught all four of the kids how to shoot that ol rifle. They all remember the first time they popped the balloon at 50 feet. Thank you Dad

Attachments