Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One last hunt with my brother......

Dan-MO

First of all, I want to sincerely thank everyone for the words of comfort each of you posted following the tragic death of my cousin. They are truly appreciated and mean more than you can know.

Over 50 years ago my dad and mom bought 50 acres and a house where my brothers and I were mostly raised. The land is mostly a rugged, wooded, mountain side not good for much.....except hunting. My youngest brother didn't come along till much later and was born their....my middle brother (3 years younger than me) and myself set about exploring those woods and were soon hunting them together every chance we got....often nearly every day. My father is still alive and still owns the old home place. Anyway, we hunted those woods till we knew most every tree that grew in them and continued to do so even into adult hood. As boys, we put up with each other and had out share of scraps as brothers do.
As men, we grew to love each other and became best friends . 6 years ago he died quickly and unexpectedly from leukemia ....I have never been more devastated in my life. Since his death, I have not been back to those woods....or even visited his grave. Just couldn't do it.......That changed today. After attending and speaking at my cousins funeral.....he was on my mind. The hot weather had broken so I dusted off the old Ruger 10-22.....that was a gift from him and headed to the old home place and our woods. When you get into the woods....The trail splits...one to the right and one to the left . He always took the trail to the left. Today I started down the trail to the right as I had always done.......then turned around and took the trail to the left.
As I slipped down the trail......I swear I could hear his footsteps beside me. I saw a few squirrels.....but didn't take a shot. The trail ended at a huge old Gum tree.....a tree my brother had taken many squirrels from. I sat near it for a while and was soon lost in memories.

After a while I got up to start back. As I got up, I noticed a faded yellow 20 gauge shotgun empty hull I had kicked up from under the leaves.......scratching around in the leaves I soon found another. I slipped them in my pocket and headed back. My brother always hunted with a Remington model 870 20 gauge shotgun.....A gift from me.

On my way home I drove to the cemetery and walked to his grave....for the only time since he was laid in it. I spent a few minutes there and shed a few tears....than left. Before I left, I scooped away a couple handfulls of dirt from the top of his grave and buried a couple of items......2 faded yellow empty 20 gauge shotgun shells. Maybe dumb....but it seemed right. RIP Brother.....See you again someday

Ronstar

Absolutely nothing wrong in doing that, zero, nada. I have a place my hunting buddy I always went to, we knew instinctively where each other was. It got to the point we knew, if in the lead, whether we were stopping to smell the roses or if the 30 point buck was in sight. It was just silent communications between us. He can’t hunt anymore and I took the other fork for the first time ever, gave my route to my oldest boy.
I saw sights I was not used to and I swear my buddy was along side. I even sensed when it was right to stop and look vs time to empty the bladder.
Its good to connect and get closure at the same time. Weird but true. Memories are better served warm.

Confetrit

Dan-MO, that was a nice Tribute to your brother. So sorry to hear of his sudden passing, although late, still heartfelt. I have always said Thank the Good Lord for the memories of Loved Ones and friends that have gone on before us, because it is memories that keep them close to us. May the Good Lord comfort you when think of your brother, but know too that All our Loved Ones are in a much better place than this mixed up world. God's Speed.

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
First of all, I want to sincerely thank everyone for the words of comfort each of you posted following the tragic death of my cousin. They are truly appreciated and mean more than you can know.

Over 50 years ago my dad and mom bought 50 acres and a house where my brothers and I were mostly raised. The land is mostly a rugged, wooded, mountain side not good for much.....except hunting. My youngest brother didn't come along till much later and was born their....my middle brother (3 years younger than me) and myself set about exploring those woods and were soon hunting them together every chance we got....often nearly every day. My father is still alive and still owns the old home place. Anyway, we hunted those woods till we knew most every tree that grew in them and continued to do so even into adult hood. As boys, we put up with each other and had out share of scraps as brothers do.
As men, we grew to love each other and became best friends . 6 years ago he died quickly and unexpectedly from leukemia ....I have never been more devastated in my life. Since his death, I have not been back to those woods....or even visited his grave. Just couldn't do it.......That changed today. After attending and speaking at my cousins funeral.....he was on my mind. The hot weather had broken so I dusted off the old Ruger 10-22.....that was a gift from him and headed to the old home place and our woods. When you get into the woods....The trail splits...one to the right and one to the left . He always took the trail to the left. Today I started down the trail to the right as I had always done.......then turned around and took the trail to the left.
As I slipped down the trail......I swear I could hear his footsteps beside me. I saw a few squirrels.....but didn't take a shot. The trail ended at a huge old Gum tree.....a tree my brother had taken many squirrels from. I sat near it for a while and was soon lost in memories.

After a while I got up to start back. As I got up, I noticed a faded yellow 20 gauge shotgun empty hull I had kicked up from under the leaves.......scratching around in the leaves I soon found another. I slipped them in my pocket and headed back. My brother always hunted with a Remington model 870 20 gauge shotgun.....A gift from me.

On my way home I drove to the cemetery and walked to his grave....for the only time since he was laid in it. I spent a few minutes there and shed a few tears....than left. Before I left, I scooped away a couple handfulls of dirt from the top of his grave and buried a couple of items......2 faded yellow empty 20 gauge shotgun shells. Maybe dumb....but it seemed right. RIP Brother.....See you again someday
That was a tear jerker Dan... Glad you had such a good relationship with your brother. I’m sure he was watching and appreciating...

G..

Greg(E.Tn)

Dan, I think it was a good thing you did, and you probably needed it. There will always be a part of his essence in those woods in the form of good memories that you can revisit again, when you want.

He would probably have wanted that.

Micheal_R

Staff member
A very poignant story Dan.. one that touched my heart.

Thank you for a sense of serenity and reason in these days... even though it was touched with sadness

Calm seas, sunny skies

Micheal

Missouri -- Ma Betty

Sorry Dan-MO about your losses of both brother & cousin! I still miss my bothers --One left us in 2007 & the other in 2009. Thanks for telling about the fond memories of your brother--So sad but HEART-WARMING! Placing the Shot Gun shells with him is the perfect ending for you & more memories! May they RIP & our hope is to see them again! When we all meet in heaven, What a day--a great & wonderful day that will be! Amen! Ma Betty

Steve(Can)

Outstanding post, Dan. Thank you.