Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Outlaw 3-coil bundle, didn't realize the widescan 10"x12" was DD.

Old California

Someone local from my area had a mint Outlaw 3-coil bundle on Craigslist, asking $350.00 and after about a week was still there. Even at this price was a good deal especially unit appears it was never used, Offered him a price and he accepts.

Wanted an Outlaw ever since selling my Bandio II, loved the all metal auto feature with the Bandio II out in open terrian. Quick toggle flip to disc to check target then back to all metal, seemed to get better coverage and depth using all metal feature.

Using the 10x12 wideascan with the Outlaw, noticed it was operating like a DD coil. Coverage from toe to heel, Suprised me so a quick Google and see the Outlaw 10x12 widescan coil is a DD. Honestly didn't know it had a DD, and in fact didn't know widescan means well im assuming widescan is DD?

Like the coverage, depth is very good in my test bed and I feel this larger DD may be the coil I need for relic hunting out in open terrian. Soil here is harsh in some areas, maybe DD is the way to go under these conditions.

What I may do is swap out the retune/All metal button with a toggle, Although I'm familiar with this type of button setup would prefer a toggle. See good posibilies with the Outlaw, it is deeper not much but noticeable over the Bandio II.

I've learned to accept deeper Tesoro models don't necessarily mean they will detect deeper in my soil, the Tejon for instance is too powerful and I always had to operate the Tejon with much lower sensitivity due to our mineralization. Yet, the Bandio II and now the Outlaw will be the perfect Tesoro for my type of soil. Can operate with max or close to maximum sensitivity, coupled with the 10x12 widescan makes it even better for harsh soil conditions.

Very excited, finally have a Tesoro with decent depth having an all-metal quick threshold return feature. Will share more later after I've ran the Outlaw for a period of time both relic and Coin/jewerly hunting.

HH,
Paul

Glad to hear that the outlaw is working for you.
If you really plan to switch the button, remember that it's a 3 position button with three positions. Vaquero uses same button but only utilizes 2 positions. Pushed and not.
The outlaw in disc uses all 3.
In disc mode:

Not pushed is disc,
half pushed is regular non-retune all metal,
and all the way pushed can be either auto retune (but slower than (auto all metal) Orr just pressed then released back to half as a retune button much like it's use in regular "all metal" as a retune button. Then not pressed it's back in disc.
This is why many get confused about the button
It's one of the features I find nice. You can be in disc, then either go to full no metal no retune and use the full press to manually retune, or push it all the way for an auto retune all metal much like other tesoros pinpoint button (but you have to lift coil up away from ground and press to reset machine) then when you let go you're back in disc. Same as bandido II micromax but with the button you can do it all from disc mode.

But no matter which way you use it, you must hold coil up and fully press it to retune it to your normal threshold setting as a detune button. This brings it back to normal where it was before pushing the button at all.

The button takes some getting used to as far as finding the half press spot but once you get it it's a nice little feature (some say quirk) of the machine.

Thank you Stefan,

I was using it again for a short period, I can get used to the button feature and it is an ingenious setup. What I'm finding is the 10x12 DD is very sensitivite for it's size, Auto All Metal is about an inch deeper on coin size targets. Maybe even more, these are ground depth not air test.

Plus, The 10x12 DD auctually works well with the Pantera. This surprised me, from past coil testing with the Pantera larger coils didn't do well with adding depth to the Pantera. Seems at a certain coil size depth wasn't there and stopped as the coils got bigger, maybe the 10x12 DD changes this as I'm seeing both depth and DD coverage. Plus, Sensitivity is pretty good on small gold rings in foil range.

The only mod I'll do with the Outlaw is adding a second discrimination pot, for checking gold jewelry range. My Mojave has it, nice setup for checking targets. Outlaw has everything else I need, wonderful set up Tesoro hit a home run with the Outlaw.

A while back, made a coil switch box. Flip from one detector to another with a toggle switch. Think I'm going to run the Pantera with the Outlaw going forward, always find myself needing two Tesoro models out in the field. With the switch box setup, can quickly switch from one to the other without carrying two complete detectors.

Off this weekend, going to put the Outlaw auto all metal to work at a relic site. Looking so forward to seeing how it does in mineralization, All metal is the best mode to use at this particular site.

Thanks again!
Paul

I wish I knew how to do the dual disc pot mod.
I was crazy happy when I was able to mod my Cibola with ground balance and took out the pinpoint button and put in a switch. It was nerve-racking the past that I have no idea how to do mods and if it wasn't for the PDF I wouldn't have been able to do the Cibola mod.

Old California said:
Using the 10x12 wideascan with the Outlaw, noticed it was operating like a DD coil. Coverage from toe to heel, Suprised me so a quick Google and see the Outlaw 10x12 widescan coil is a DD. Honestly didn't know it had a DD, and in fact didn't know widescan means well im assuming widescan is DD?

HH,
Paul

Hi Paul,

It is my understanding that any Tesoro Coil labeled 'Widescan' is DD. Over the years, I've only had 1 widescan coil and that was the stock coil that came new on the Eldorado (brown box) I bought back in the lates 80's. Bought a Toltec 100 at the same time but it had an 8 1/2" concentric if I remember right.

Enjoy the new rig.

Rich -

Hombre field tested this Tesoro and liked it so much He bought the detector from them after field test. He says to this day His fave Tesoro. That says a lot as He has about 12 Tesoros.

Well I have to agree with hombre.
My absolute favorite has to be my Bandido II Micromax.
The thing with that bandido II micromax is as old is that thing is and it's still going and looking so good there's still a part of me that worries just a little bit when hunting out with it knowing that it's discontinued and that I don't have the lifetime warranty on it. I still use it I still love it I do baby it a little bit more than my other but the outlaw being a current production machine makes me feel a little bit more comfortable about using it and any possible damage that may happen. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else I tried to explain it but it's hard to put into words.
I still stand behind the outlaw as a great detector and anyone who can't get their hands on a Bandido II Micromax shouldn't feel too left out if they as long as they can get their hands on the outlaw. And with that three coil pack it's just a phenomenal deal it could be someone's only detector easily with those three coils.
I'm just nuts and have too many detectors LOL