Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question On The 5x10 18.75 DD Coil

morelic1955

I noticed in the coil chart that it is NOT waterproof. How would it work in wet grass, say, after a dew on the ground? Is there any way to seal it?:minelab:

It is water resistant, therefore wet grass should be OK. Several users have used materials like RTV to seal the seams & coil wire strain relief. But it does float, so make to wear the armband restraint, otherwise as soon as you let go of the handle it will come to the surface and roll the detector left or right. Hate to see an X70 drown!

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks Bill. What is your preference, the 5x10 or the 10 round HF? I used the 10DD mid to find the CW stuff in my last post. Why is the HF better on lead?
The 70 sure goes deep with the 10DD. One other thing thou, the TID on the deep lead starts in the 40's then drops when you take say, 4" of soil off of the target. Most CW 3 ringers read from 28 to 32 when they are 5" or less. I have a 3khz on the way I'm gonna try, but if I get anymore depth, I'm gonna need a back hoe to dig!!!!:minelab:

I haven't used the 10.5HFDD yet, but have one on the way, so I don't have a preference yet. As discovered by engineers like George Payne(a giant in this industry), low conductors(gold, lead etc) respond better as you go higher in frequency. Keep in mind these are degrees of improvement. i.e. the MF are better than the LF, and the HF is better than the MF. So the prospectors and small gold hunters are using the HF's as a general rule to eek out that last little amount of performance.

The target ID behavior is actually a benefit, as on many detectors deeper targets fall into lower ID categories like iron, which causes you to ignore them as iron. That's precisely why on Old Sox's report of what looks like his found three ringers ending up as an iron ID, didn't sound right. Thanks for providing the ID range which is higher than I thought it would be. I am not in an area where three ringers are found, but I have found boat loads of non-clad rifle & pistol rounds along with small caliber musket balls.

It looks like you're in an area to find more three ringers, so the next time you think you have one under coil I'd like to know how it reacts in Prospecting Mode with an IM(Iron Mask) setting of 5. Especially if you have what you think is a deep one in the 6inch+ range. I have a suspicion that in Prospecting Mode you may be able to get 50% more depth, especially if the soil is mineralized to any degree. If she really bangs out, I'd try that mode for awhile if their isn't any modern trash around. Just curiosity and a suggestion on my part, so don't feel obligated, I'm just trying to learn more myself.

Also interested how the 3KHz ID's these deep three ringers in comparison.

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks for the info Bill, I will experiment and get back with you. I should have the 3khz by this next weekend. By the way, yesterday when I was hunting with my bud, he uses a MXT, he went to our local dealer TODAY and bought a X 70. The Mxt is ok for "probing" a new spot, but for the raw depth, the 70
hands down beats the MXT IN OUR GROUND, which is fairly neutral. The 70 reads in the 40's & 50's on the GB. I am goning to start looking for the HF 5x10. I use the 5x10 on the MXT which I believe operates around 15khz and it is killer on small targets & lead.