Find's Treasure Forums

NOTICE:
This new forum is now ACTIVE. You should be able to log in using the same username and password however if your username contain a comma then you need to log in on the new forum without the comma in your username
Example:
SteveB Main, Mo
remove the comma like this
SteveB Main Mo

If you have any questions or need assistance with this, click here to go to Find's Support Desk form

IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO LOG IN, CLICK HERE TO RESET AND HAVE NEW PASSWORD EMAIL TO YOU

Signature redo and pic moving and testing things out. My sig. ***This is a test REPOST***

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeO

Staff member
I headed back again to the same place I have pulling allot of Indian Heads from lately that is infested with shotgun caps.
I happens to be the same place I got my oldest coin for this year in my signature.

Finds are getting harder to find as I have been hunting it for over a decade but, even yet I know there are more coins left.
They just happen to be on a sloping hillside and not quite the easiest swinging. But, I will say this is one of my favorite places to hunt as it is total solitude and no body around.
I have permission from the owner from a decade ago to come anytime which is a huge blessing. They have been so fantastic to me over the many years and I have become actual friends with them.

I started off today headed toward the barn where I did dig an old carved button that really has my interest up.
It has what appears to be a Regiment Number on it. It appears to be hand made from lead? As it is softer then most metals.
Here is a picture of it washed off.
1016123.jpg

Upon walking down the slop and curving past an 1800s out structure I started back up the slope and got a good signal but, lower.
I was pretty sure it was another shotgun cap but, I like to find those as well and add them to my collection but, low and behold I dig what I first thought to be an 1859 IH as I could not see a Shield.

Once I got into the sunlight I was quite surprised it looked to be a Flying Eagle Cent. I know it was not the most valuable coin I have found this year but, a very elusive coin to dig at-least for me. That in itself means more to me then value.
I snapped a photo of it dug then continued hunting after I called my hunting buddy on the phone and left a message. To say the least I was excited,
Here is the dig shot.
1016121.jpg

My next signal was much more in the typical coin area and I started filming my dig and in the middle of it my buddy called me back.
:rofl:

Well, that turned out to be a old flattie.

He asked me to stop by and show him the FE Cent and I said I was getting tired and going to head back to my vehicle so, I would shortly.

My next target turned out to be another cap near the base of an old tree. I took a step and then in front of the tree I got a nice IH hit.
Turns out it was an Indian Head although I could not tell it true its condition just like the FE and decided to call it a day and go to my friends to show him the coin.
Here is the dig photo of the IH.
1016122.jpg

I was able to wash them with soap and water once at my friends and I was quite (as was he) surprised at both coins condition. Deep patinas in excellent shape.
Sadly I missed the great rarest Flying Eagle by one year but, still an exciting day for sure. I give thanks to Minelab for giving me the tool to find these coins.
Ever since I decided to sell my Whites in 2000 and swing an Explorer the finds have never been the same.
:please:

Here is a photo of my serene day at one of my favorite spots of all time and the dig spot is where my FE came from today.
1016126.jpg

Here are my one of my favorite digs for this year once washed off in soap a 1857 Flying Eagle Cent
101612FEO.jpg

1857101612FER.jpg

Here is the Indian after a washing alongside the Flying Eagle and my total digs for 2 hours today. Then where the FE Cent hit on the SmartScreen.
1016124.jpg

101612total.jpg

FESmartscreen.png

Sorry this was so long but, digging up a nice Flying Eagle Cent made my day.
:jump:

Happy Hunting and Thanks for checking out my post.
:cheers:

MikeO

Staff member
Have not posted in a while as I thought well I will just comment and read everyone elses great recoveries.
Although I have been hunting I have not dug any thing super worth mentioning/posting.
Regular old silver be it Barbers or Seated's and old Indians are great and exciting finds but, man its been like a decade since I got my last Capped Bust and that was a 1834 Half Dime.
It had rained the days before pretty decently so, we wanted to take advantage of the moisture conditions,
I picked up my hunting buddy early and we headed to a place we pounded for ten plus years and man has it gave us many rewards ranging from LCs to Seated coins but, today was going to be a whole different story.
The property is large encompassing about three acres and coins have been found everywhere.
Today we focused on an area we have gone over in the past very little and what a good choice it was.
I decided to stay around the oldest trees and strolled near an indentation that was once a large tree.
I hunt in Ferrous tones and got a faint high chirp about top center of the screen that bounced to the right and down a little.
I was not expecting anything like I was about to dig.
I dug down and at about 7" hit a large root and stuck the X1 in and she made some noise. After fighting to get under the root I pulled out a weird looking Token that at first glance I thought was a LC.
I figured that was it as the probe made no more distinct high tones and filled in the hole and covered it up and kept circling the area. Low and behold I get back around and went back over it with my coil and heard a chirp high tone.
I stood there wondering if I had just heard another coin in the same dang hole.
I decided to go back into it and dug a little deeper and at about 10" off to the right and down a tad more I pulled out another large copper. I thought for sure this was a LC. I went and got my hunting partner and showed him.
We looked closer and could see it was a early Canadian 1/2 penny Bank Token.
He said where you find that one and I chuckled and said in the same dang hole where the other came from. He said awesome and said lets take a look.
He came over and sat down as I showed him. I rechecked the hole again this time with the probe. Sure enough more high tone. A little more dirt extracted from the hole and we see silver.
He said you got a seated and as we turned it over we saw the bust. It was an 1835 Capped Bust Dime.
Here are the site pictures of the coins dig.
92013capped1.jpg
92013capped11.jpg

92013capped3.jpg
92013capped4.jpg

Here are some pictures of the coins washed off and I must say the 35 is in great shape..
92013capped7.jpg

I also must note my buddy who was hunting quite a bit further away was able to pull two nice Mercs a 25 and 39.
92013capped5.jpg

What an amazing day to get three early 1800s coins/tokens out of one hole. Turns out the Canadian Agriculture and Commerce Token was only minted 1835-1838 and is a pretty decent find. The other Canadian coin (Bank Token) is dated 1844.
Wonder how those three all oddly ended up being together. Pocket spill maybe but, I guess more then likely the three where buried by a small child back in the mid 1800s.
Definitely an exciting early morning hunt to say the least.
:thumbup:

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting all.
:cheers:

MikeO

Staff member
Was able to get out yesterday and today with my hunting buddy.
Yesterday was nice and sunny with a high around 65 but, the wind was quite whipping.
We hit a new place that I had been watching for many a year and being it had changed ownership we figured we would try to get permission.
We where told it was old and we where quite excited. We are not sure if it had ever been hunted before but, we kind of doubt it due to its location.
Anyhow my buddy found a token, a nice one piece flatty, fours wheat's 19,19S,24 and a 36. He also found some clad.
I did not fair any better but, did manage a 43 Merc (my first silver of 2014) and a no date buffalo and two trinket things. Some of you I already mentioned this too.

Now today lady luck was favoring me as we hit a place we know has never been hunted that produced some oldies last year when it was dry.
It is so nice to have a virgin spot its overwhelming.
Today was perfect for a hunt no wind and it hit 55*. The ground was really butter like as we did get a small shower in he middle of the night.
The home owner is super nice and invited us back anytime. You can bet on that we told her with her blessing. She chuckled and said anytime.
Anyhow my first good coin turned out to be a Indian and it was a 1900. That's my second 1900 for 2014.
Then I hit a lil patch that has little Mother Mary charms and ended up digging three of those. Two where within a foot of each other and one was 100 yards away.
Why those lil things where there is a mystery or maybe someone buried them?
The picture is of the homeowner holding them. One is silver one is copper/brass and one is pot metal. The owner liked them so, I gave them to her. She was ecstatic.

My next good coin was a real shocker. I got a real faint hit and dug a deep plug and got a whisper from the X1. at about 10" I pull out a handful of dirt and there she was a LC.
I could not immediately read the date but, I could tell right away she was going to turn out to be a nice one. After cleaning it off once we where home it was a 1849.
This is my first LC for this year and it will be a tough one to top condition wise IMHO. Large cents are such a fun find especially when I don't Ric them.

A little later on I got another good faint hit and this was a typical Indian bounce hit. I had a feeling it was a Indian and sure enough it turned out to be a 1906.
I have really been on a IH roll as this makes my sixth for 2014.
I also dug four wheat's a 10, 17, 36, 46 a Raytheon Picture Tube Token and a old Navy Button.

Today my buddy ended up with a 56 Rosie. I told him he really needs to where his hearing aids to help in him hearing those faint hits. So, next time I am reminding him not to forget them.
But, with all that said maybe it was just luck I passed my coil over the goods today because there have been plenty of days he has stomped me in good finds.

Anyhow here are some of my pictures of yesterdays and today's finds of mine. Some dig photos and of the coins washed once home.

I will have to post my buddies two day photos as an additional attachment as six is max its saying. I also have a close up of the 49 Large Cent showing off her detail included.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone!

Was able to get out yesterday and today with my hunting buddy.
Yesterday was nice and sunny with a high around 65 but, the wind was quite whipping.
We hit a new place that I had been watching for many a year and being it had changed ownership we figured we would try to get permission.
We where told it was old and we where quite excited. We are not sure if it had ever been hunted before but, we kind of doubt it due to its location.
Anyhow my buddy found a token, a nice one piece flatty, fours wheat's 19,19S,24 and a 36. He also found some clad.
I did not fair any better but, did manage a 43 Merc (my first silver of 2014) and a no date buffalo and two trinket things. Some of you I already mentioned this too.

Now today lady luck was favoring me as we hit a place we know has never been hunted that produced some oldies last year when it was dry.
It is so nice to have a virgin spot its overwhelming.
Today was perfect for a hunt no wind and it hit 55*. The ground was really butter like as we did get a small shower in he middle of the night.
The home owner is super nice and invited us back anytime. You can bet on that we told her with her blessing. She chuckled and said anytime.
Anyhow my first good coin turned out to be a Indian and it was a 1900. That's my second 1900 for 2014.
Then I hit a lil patch that has little Mother Mary charms and ended up digging three of those. Two where within a foot of each other and one was 100 yards away.
Why those lil things where there is a mystery or maybe someone buried them?
The picture is of the homeowner holding them. One is silver one is copper/brass and one is pot metal. The owner liked them so, I gave them to her. She was ecstatic.

My next good coin was a real shocker. I got a real faint hit and dug a deep plug and got a whisper from the X1. at about 10" I pull out a handful of dirt and there she was a LC.
I could not immediately read the date but, I could tell right away she was going to turn out to be a nice one. After cleaning it off once we where home it was a 1849.
This is my first LC for this year and it will be a tough one to top condition wise IMHO. Large cents are such a fun find especially when I don't Ric them.

A little later on I got another good faint hit and this was a typical Indian bounce hit. I had a feeling it was a Indian and sure enough it turned out to be a 1906.
I have really been on a IH roll as this makes my sixth for 2014.
I also dug four wheat's a 10, 17, 36, 46 a Raytheon Picture Tube Token and a old Navy Button.

Today my buddy ended up with a 56 Rosie. I told him he really needs to where his hearing aids to help in him hearing those faint hits. So, next time I am reminding him not to forget them.
But, with all that said maybe it was just luck I passed my coil over the goods today because there have been plenty of days he has stomped me in good finds.

Anyhow here are some of my pictures of yesterdays and today's finds of mine. Some dig photos and of the coins washed once home.

I will have to post my buddies two day photos as an additional attachment as six is max its saying. I also have a close up of the 49 Large Cent showing off her detail included.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone.

0314141.jpg
0315142.jpg
0315143.jpg
0315146.jpg
0315144.jpg
0315145.jpg
Favorite coin of 2014 so far an 1849 Large Cent.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2034861,2034861#msg-2034861
Favorite Silver of 2014 an 1854 Seated Half Dime.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2106714
A hunt that will likely never be repeated. Silver Three Center and Seated.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,2115392,2115392#msg-2115392
Oldest and largest for 2015 so far 1807 KG
http://www.findmall.com/re

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2014 04:05PM by MikeO.

0314141.jpg
0315142.jpg
0315143.jpg
0315146.jpg
0315144.jpg
0315145.jpg

MikeO

Staff member
Got out early today with my hunting buddy and we headed to a place I call the 100 acre woods. A place that has astonished us with finds for over a decade now.
Just when you think the finds are slowing down things are always turning up.
The first dig that was good for my buddy was three wheat's in hole. He then dug a really nice 02 Indian.
Up until then I had not dug anything other then a 30 wheat and plenty of small junk/clad.
Then I got a hit that was very-very iffy and soft. It was bouncing with the cursor at mid top half off screen then skipping right and down from top right.
I dug down and heard a Lil chirp and off to the side after removing more dirt it got louder. When I removed the dirt I saw a Lil disc and at first I thought it was a shiny Lil button. Then to my surprise I rubbed a Lil dirt off to expose HALF DIME. I gave a shout to my buddy and he came to check it. He was shocked to see another old seated come out of this place. It turned out to be a nice looking 54 HD.
Darn shame it was not an early style 53O.
My next dig that was a keeper turned out to be a 99 IH.
We dug are fair share of clad and junk but, it was a great three hour morning hunt.
Enjoy the pics. and thanks for looking.

MikeO

Staff member
Well it was beautiful today and me and my hunting buddy got out fairly early after I got back from a Doctor's visit.
Are intentions where to head to a certain place but, as we where going through a town we noticed some people out at a home we had tried about seven years ago to obtain permission.
We where told no years back but, the home had new owners. We asked permission and explained we had hunted the home next door about seven years ago. The owner was real nice and gave us the go ahead.
We set off a hunting and my first decent signal turned out to be a 1891 Indian. A Lil later my buddy dug a back marked WWI two piece button then he dug two wheat's.

We then moved to an area between the two homes and this is where things got interesting. One of the first digs for my buddy over here turned out to be a little ring. It appear to be silver plated copper.
My first decent dig turned out to be a 1888 Indian. Then I got a silver hit and thought it was probably clad. To my total shock only about one and a half inches down in the hard pack dirt I see a silver dime. I about pooped my pants to see Half Dime on the back. It was a 1856 in excellent shape. I was really stoked to have dug another this year. We hunted around some more and moved to the front yard but, it seemed void of any decent signals. The soil was much richer then the side yard and I suspect it was mostly fill as it was about eight inches higher then the side walk entrance.
I decided to work my way back to the side where I had just pulled the HD and Indian when along the corner of the house near the flower bed I get a great silver hit but faint. At this point I am thinking Merc or Barber. At about seven inches out comes this little silver disc. I was thinking play money then I noticed the star. I waved to my buddy and upon removing more dirt I confirmed it was a three cent silver piece. It turned out to be a 1852 once the dirt was washed off. We continued to hunt finding Nick nacs in this general area.
We then decided it was getting time to head off and since the owner said his wife was coming home in about thirty minutes it might be best if we go.
We then went right next door too where we had hunted seven years prior and my buddy dug an old broach and a token in the same hole. The token is quite neat and says Albert Richard "coat of stars".
My quick research shows he was a tailor and this probably was attached to his garments.

By this point we where beat not to mention excited about the day I had. I was anxious to get back and look at my recent Coin Values mag.
Well, I will say this had to be one of the best days for old silver I have had in a long time. I am sure I will never repeat finding a Half Dime and Three Cent Silver in the same day.
I am still excited as I type this. We are heading back out this Saturday and hopefully lady luck will strike again.

Here are the dig pics below.

Here is the area between the two old home where the HD and Three Center etc. came from.

Here are are keepers for today minus the junk. Mine are the items on the left and my buddies are on the right.

Here is a close up off my Half Dime and Three Cent piece.

MikeO

Staff member
Got out with my hunting buddy and hit a property we had never hunted. The area in general is very historic even though the house that sits there now was built around the turn of the century.
I suspect being the KG penny was found near a humongous tall pine tree at about 9" it was dropped long before and not by someone raiding pops coin collection. Either way digging such an old large copper is fun.
The date is hard to read but, appears to be 1807.
We called it a day early as the wind really picked up and it started raining. We will try to get out later this week after the rain moves on.
My buddy dug two wheat's (oldest was 24) and a token. We both dug are fair share as junk as well.
Thanks for looking and HH everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.