Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Took the Deleon to help a friend find a ring and!

ToneTime

I went over to help my friend find his Titanium ring that is lost in his yard today. Well this house was built in an open farm field in 2002. I got a good smooth tone and a 95 hit that the Deleon said was 7" deep. I thought this couldn't be the ring, it was too deep. To my surprise I dug down and out popped a 57' silver dime. This was a great find in an open field. I did not find the ring but now I am excited to keep looking especially after finding the silver there. Does anyone know if the titanium would register 95 on the VID? I am assuming it will but do not have any experience with this metal. The field is loaded with can slaw for some reason and some iron. Thanks,

Its gonna sound like a gold ring of the same size...since its a Mans ring and most likely pretty big, tab/zinc tone and tid range probably...Oh, Hey, nice work on the silver! I suggest you take a good long time to find that ring!:lmfao:
Mud

I'd dig all targets in the nickel/tab range for the ring unless you can test your detector over an actual titnium sample to compare.
BB

Well.....since it is a recent drop, it should be right on the surface. That being said, the Deleon should give an overload signal on the ring. The Deleon is very sensitive and makes a loud broken signal on surface targets when the coil is too close. I know this sound and adjust coil height (raise coil) while sweeping over the overload signal and then get a better tone and TID.

Thanks guys, I will keep all this information in mind when I make it back over. I noticed the Deleon tone will cut out and get choppy on a nickel when it is to close to the coil as well, was wondering if it would do this on a surface ring or not. What's funny is that on a quarter the tone will sound great even if the coin is touching the coil. Of course the meter will overload and say lift coil but the tone still comes through great. What is it about the nickel that makes the tone chop up if it is too close?

ToneTime said:
Thanks guys, I will keep all this information in mind when I make it back over. I noticed the Deleon tone will cut out and get choppy on a nickel when it is to close to the coil as well, was wondering if it would do this on a surface ring or not. What's funny is that on a quarter the tone will sound great even if the coin is touching the coil. Of course the meter will overload and say lift coil but the tone still comes through great. What is it about the nickel that makes the tone chop up if it is too close?

Hi Tone Time...
Just wondering whether you found that ring ? I took my wife's Deleon out side and checked the audio response of my gold wedding band laying on top of the ground, it gave a crappy/chopped and cutting out signal when the coil was swept too close to the ring, a nickel does the same thing. I could raise the coil a couple of inches above the ring or nickel while swinging the coil over it and get a good solid tone. Then I checked the audio response of a quarter laying on top of the ground and it gave a "classic" overload signal as the outer and inner coil windings passed over the quarter when the coil is being swept too close to the target. The over load response to the lower conductive ring/nickel and the higher conductive quarter are completely different sounding, might be something to be aware of in the future, might be a good thing to know.

No, this is something that has really bothered me though about the Deleon. Enough so that I just sold it! I guess I will be going back over this weekend with the vaquero and the 10x5" elliptical. I did not like that the signal got choppy on nickels and rings on the surface. Granted the Deleon told you to liftcoil but you have to be paying attention to the meter. I guess I like hunting by sound the most and with the other 3 detectors I have there is no problem with surface targets. In fact a lot of my best finds were surface or just slightly under the surface targets. The Deleon is a good machine in other ways but this was enough for me to give it up. Thanks,

thats cool , fields are some of the most interesting sites to detect , they can go one way or the other

No ring yet, it is a big area! I took the vaquero with the 10x5" widescan and felt like I had better coverage. I found some farm equipment parts and some clad and lots more can slaw. They must have mowed the field a few times with some empty cans in that area cause it is littered everywhere. I'm afraid if I run the disc too high to knock out the small pieces that I'll miss the ring. I can tell alot of the badly misshapen stuff but deal with quite a lot at or near the surface. I will keep after it though for a while. Not as exciting this time compared to last time (finding the silver dime)!