Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Treasure hunting almost killed me

A

Anonymous

I just got out of the hospital yesterday. I was the sickest I have ever been in my 53 years. I came close to cashing in my relics and shuffling off to the great treasure field in the sky. I got a disease called "Ehrlichiosis", which the docs said came from a tick bite. I must have picked it up while treasure hunting along all the ancient stone walls that run all through the deep woods around where I live. Like the tick that spreads Lyme disease (I live just one town away from the town that disease was named from) it's a very tiny tick and might go unnoticed, even after it bites.
Just thought I'd pass this along. Take it for what it's worth. To me, the woods are a dangerous place to be in the summertime. If you do go there, take a shower, change your clothes, and inspect yourself thoroughly when you're done treasure hunting.

Glad to hear you are well, or the worst is over. Serious stuff, that Ehrlichiosis. I never head of it before so I reseached it on the web after your reporting it to us. No woods hunting for me until after the first good frost. Thanks for the alert.

Yeah, just my luck I had to learn about it the hard way. No more hunting in the woods until after the first frost for me either. Until then, I'll stick to the local school yards and public parks.

Twenty years ago I used to dig bottles at a local old time town dump with a super nice guy named Rob. Rob worked out there like a Trojan with a rake and shovel, and found lots more good stuff than the rest of us. He had the knack.He was young, smart, loved anything old- had a young wife and new baby.
Well, Rob drove a forklift in a local plant. He left work on Wednesday (because he was dizzy) and they buried him on Saturday!! A TRUE STORY.
It is really serious stuff guys. I hope that you are better real soon. God Bless- Charlie in NC

Glad you are OK. I got sick because of a tick bite also but it was turkey hunting and not detecting that got me. Dr. said I would test positive for it from now own and that I would have random "crappy" days for the rest of my life. So far he was right about the bad days. My wife and I call them bad days "tick days" now. I have about 1 every month or so. Though I did not and will not quit detecting or being in the woods in the spring/summer time I do use a whole lot more OFF now than I used to and that seems to be working. Glad you are better...d2

I guess I'm really lucky that my wife is a nurse and knew what to do with me. It could have turned out a lot worse than it has!

I'll have to admit, I came very close to uttering the words, "That's it! I quit! I'm putting the Fisher up for sale on e-bay!"
But then the fever broke and I came to my senses.