Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Try this just for fun

Alan Applegate

Some of us have a detector garden wherein we know where, and how deep the target is, as well as what the target is. In fact, everyone should have a garden with multiple targets, properly marked. Every size coin, aluminum foil, pull tabs, small circular pieces of metal (simulating a ring; washers work well), and even a few nails should be included. Obviously, there should be similar object at different depths. For example, a dime at 3, 5, and 7 inches. There is a good reason why.

Assuming you do have a garden, you should scan it on a regular basis. One has to remember, ground and air temperature vary, as does air and soil humidity, and along with these changes, the conductivity of the soil. Every one of the parameters changes the effective depth, and the response of the detector in use. If you're really astute, you'll keep very good track of the results. That is, depth indicated, scale indication (iron, zinc, gold, etc.), and perhaps the alert tones as well. Even the frequency if your metal detector uses more than one. You should also use different scanning speeds, and maybe even the height the coil is above ground.

If you have a detecting friend, you should have he/she scan your garden too. After a few months of playing in your garden, you'll begin to realize a whole lot of things, some of which affronts common belief.

The one common denominator isn't the frequency, it isn't the detector, or even the coil size (if there isn't a large disparity), it's the operator! If you think this is a copout, try it yourself.

I don't want to put words in Uncle Willy's mouth, so I'll paraphrase. Time in grade means more than the machine. Indeed! Practice makes perfect.

Alan Applegate

good info...practice practice practice....:clapping:
you just gotta go out and swing as much as you can and learn the machine...:thumbup:
good luck:detecting:

Great advice for sure ... I ahve a spot wher i can do
that in the back yard..it cant hurt thats for sure

Ron

RLTW

I'm in full agreement. I've always stated that detecting is 10% machine and 90% operator. That's why there are so many varied results with varied operators. The machine is only as good as the guy on the other end of it. Detecting is a world of variables and nothing remains the same and conditions and results are contantly changing making the art of detecting totally unpredictable from moment to moment. That's why detector manufacturers send their machines all over this country and all over the world to be field tested because nothing is constant and far from universal..

Bill.