Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

U.S. government awards Novavax $1.6 billion for coronavirus vaccine

Digger

Staff member
midalake said: WOW, what ever happened to "free" markets????
Had you researched the information instead of just copying and pasting the headlines, you would have realized that Novavax is not the only company to get Federal funding for a vaccine. We awarded a $456 million investment in Johnson & Johnson's vaccine candidate in March, a $486 million award to Moderna Inc in April, and up to $1.2 billion in support in May for AstraZeneca's vaccine being developed with Oxford University. The US government also awarded Emergent Biosolutions $628 million to expand domestic manufacturing capacity for a potential coronavirus vaccine and drugs to treat COVID-19. Pfizer and Merck are also among those working on vaccines. And the Feds awarded a $450 million contract with Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc to make and supply its antibody cocktail for COVID-19.

This agreement with Novavax pays for production of 100 million doses, which would be delivered starting in the fourth quarter of this year, and may be completed by January or February of next year. It will also cover the cost of running a large Phase III trial - the final stage of human testing, which could begin as early as October.

midalake

TROLL
Had you researched the information instead of just copying and pasting the headlines, you would have realized that Novavax is not the only company to get Federal funding for a vaccine.
Who said I never knew :shrug:. As a republican diggie, what do you make of the handouts?

tvr

Drug Efficacy Amendment of 1962 significantly changed testing of drugs for FDA approval and opened up federal funding even more for testing of promising drugs that held potential for large scale benefit. The benefits of a free market in the US medical drug industry have been restricted with government bureaucrats picking winners and losers for decades. When facing particularly bad national circumstances, such as natural disasters and pandemics, a little federal help for something that has promising potential to help lots of citizens, for me, falls into the categories of defending the nation and promoting or protecting commerce; both things the Constitution says are necessary. This is a completely different scenario than the one that brought about the subsidies for Solyndra and other favored "causes" of the not too distanced past.

Steve O

Many people will NOT want the vaccine injected into their bodies. I'm one of them,. .. ... . don't trust them as far as I can throw a Baby Grand Piano.

Digger

Staff member
midalake said: Who said I never knew :shrug:. As a republican diggie, what do you make of the handouts?
First, had you known that more than half a dozen other companies had received funding, I would have assumed you were smart enough to realize that allocating funds to multiple companies would be the essence of how a Free Market (competitive marketplace) system works. At least as competitive as it can be, when Government is involved. I don't happen to believe a truly "free market system" can exist in the real word because some form of Government will always be there to set trade policies or place restraints on the exchange of goods and services.

Second, I find it too easy to label people either a Republican or Democrat simply because of how they may view the "issue of the day". I consider myself as a Patriotic American who believes in the Rule of Law and holds the utmost respect for our Constitution. I do not believe the Constitution was intended to be a living document. As I posted in the paragraphs near the top of this forum....."our Founding Fathers recognized that principles are what constitute our society.........not the whims of individual politicians or the quest for unbridled authority from the Federal Government." I would say I am more libertarian on many social issues than a lot of Republicans and probably more conservative than most Democrats. And it seems I have far more respect for the framework of our Constitution than most Congressional Democrats (and many Republicans) have for it. I believe there are too many lawyers and lobbyists working inside our Government for the average citizen to truly understand all that is being done. In my opinion, the words spoken by Abraham Lincoln in his second inaugural address: "of the people, by the people and for the people" are all but being ignored, as is much of our true history. Tearing down our Nation's history doesn't make it go away. It just prevents future generations from learning from it.

Third, handouts.......the State and Federal Governments have so many unaccountable handouts, I don't know where to start. But for the sake of this topic, I'll address the funding for a Covid-19 vaccine. I think, as a society, (not necessarily Government) we have a responsibility to help Americans acquire their basic needs. Although I consider health care availability to be necessary, I don't think Government should be providing services that are not life sustaining. That is why I opposed the Affordable Care Act but approve helping fund cures for, or a a vaccine for, Covid-19.

Kraemer

Many people will NOT want the vaccine injected into their bodies. I'm one of them,. .. ... . don't trust them as far as I can throw a Baby Grand Piano.
I too will never get a vaccination. Never gotten a flu shot and don’t trust big pharma.
I have seen lives ruined by people trusting some new vaccine. You see the ambulance chasing attorneys every day on commercials looks for clients who took a new drug and had a catastrophic result. Then you hear the side effects of new drugs and they are usually worse than the symptoms you’ve trying to treat. No win situation.

Kraemer

First, had you known that more than half a dozen other companies had received funding, I would have assumed you were smart enough to realize that allocating funds to multiple companies would be the essence of how a Free Market (competitive marketplace) system works. At least as competitive as it can be, when Government is involved. I don't happen to believe a truly "free market system" can exist in the real word because some form of Government will always be there to set trade policies or place restraints on the exchange of goods and services.

Second, I find it too easy to label people either a Republican or Democrat simply because of how they may view the "issue of the day". I consider myself as a Patriotic American who believes in the Rule of Law and holds the utmost respect for our Constitution. I do not believe the Constitution was intended to be a living document. As I posted in the paragraphs near the top of this forum....."our Founding Fathers recognized that principles are what constitute our society.........not the whims of individual politicians or the quest for unbridled authority from the Federal Government." I would say I am more libertarian on many social issues than a lot of Republicans and probably more conservative than most Democrats. And it seems I have far more respect for the framework of our Constitution than most Congressional Democrats (and many Republicans) have for it. I believe there are too many lawyers and lobbyists working inside our Government for the average citizen to truly understand all that is being done. In my opinion, the words spoken by Abraham Lincoln in his second inaugural address: "of the people, by the people and for the people" are all but being ignored, as is much of our true history. Tearing down our Nation's history doesn't make it go away. It just prevents future generations from learning from it.

Third, handouts.......the State and Federal Governments have so many unaccountable handouts, I don't know where to start. But for the sake of this topic, I'll address the funding for a Covid-19 vaccine. I think, as a society, (not necessarily Government) we have a responsibility to help Americans acquire their basic needs. Although I consider health care availability to be necessary, I don't think Government should be providing services that are not life sustaining. That is why I opposed the Affordable Care Act but approve helping fund cures for, or a a vaccine for, Covid-19.
Boy Digger I wish I had your patience for ignorance!!