Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin tumbling question…

This has been bugging me for years and have never been able to find a good answer
Tumbled some clad today and as usual
They came out like this (red patina)
No coppers mixed in
I know it spends but am curious if any one found a way for them not to come out like this.
Aquarium gravel and pine sol used today
I always tumbled the clad with sand and nothing else for 3 hours... plenty of water. I then emptied water and added a couple tablespoons of aluminum jelly and tumbled for a few minutes more. Rinse thoroughly under COLD water and dry right away. Exposure to air or heat when wet turns them red again, so dry them right away. This works with turning your old nickels grey again. Take care
Mike.

This has been bugging me for years and have never been able to find a good answer
Tumbled some clad today and as usual
They came out like this (red patina)
No coppers mixed in
I know it spends but am curious if any one found a way for them not to come out like this.
Aquarium gravel and pine sol used today
I was doing s batch of clad quarters and they came out PINK !!! I checked the batch and no pennies. I used vinegar & salt way back when. Then to shine things up, I used lime juice.
Usually worked well with removing the pink. On one occasion nothing would remove the pink. Turned out one side of the clad quarter had split off and there was the copper core turning everything pink. Try the lime juice in water and run over night. Im using stainless steel shot nowadays and everything comes out shiny and new. May have to do a few runs to get the red to lighten up. Also, a squirt of Lime-a-way in water is my new 'go to' cleaner for coins. Give it a try.

HH
Donna(NJ)