Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2nd hunt at Calvary fort site /more shells and gold!

Ed Steinhoff

Took the f-70 back to the Calvary fort site that was home to the 10th Calvary regiment all negro unit know as the "buffalo soldiers"
I have been hunting what appears to be a training area and or married men's housing south of the present restored fort site.
The shell casings are all head stamped with the dates 1876-1877-1878, which corresponded with the dates the 10th was garrisoned there.
The area is also littered with broken china, bottles, square nails, iron, tin,glass,etc.
Had the f-70 set up disc 6, speed dp, thres-2, 3h tones, sens 60, gb 86.
The shell casings rang up @ 67 and most were 2" to 3" deep. In the middle of all that trash I got another 67-68 signal repeating in both directions.
The result is the ornate gold and ruby ring in the middle of the door lock plate! I think I might have knocked the middle stone out in my haste and excitement to clean the dirt off!
The three pistol casings at the bottom of the pics have no markings on the head stamp, maybe some of you relic hunters can tell me if they are .44 colt.
I feel like I just graduated high school or something being able to downsize and upload pic now!
HH Ed in co.
ps. I wonder what the back story on that ring being there is? Did it get laid on the sideboard while doing dishes and went out with the trash, or did a hopping mad officers wife,fed up with living in the far west, in a fit of rage as only a fiery tempered wife can pitch tempest and fury can do, throw it out the window before leaving on the last stage east?

That is just crazy to try to imagine what went on there! Great hunting, finds, write up, and now with Pics! Horray for Ed! :clapping:

Does that ring have really old hallmarks on it?
Mud

Mud, no marks whatsoever, but I had it tested at the jewelers and it shows 18ct!
HH Ed in co.

I was in Colorado this weekend and heard that old gold panners used to collect their gold dust in the empty shell casings and hammer the ends closed for transporting their finds.
The baggies of their day.
That reminded me of you story and photos.

Nice Gold

Thats an interesting thing you posted there CoinRescue!....I will never look at a flattened shell casing the same from now on..especially in Gold Country! What a great tip!...If a guy ever tripped across a hole with a lot of those hammered shut shells in it, he may have past them up as junk! it makes complete sense!:clapping:
Mud