Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cowwodol ???

Geologyhound

Found this odd metal plate which appears to say “Cowwodol” on the flat side. I am not sure what to make of the pattern on the other side. There are at least five holes through it like it was screwed onto something with small screws. There’s also two raised spots on opposite sides of the patterned side. Almost like it seated against another piece - like half of some sort of embossing press. Any ideas on what this could be?

Old topo maps show residences on the site by the late 1800s to early 1900s. The residences were demolished in the last 10 years or so.

Attachments

• 28998073-2777-4F11-A0DA-AA0E1F2278C9.jpeg
    28998073-2777-4F11-A0DA-AA0E1F2278C9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 105
  • 5C795C6C-3C0B-44EF-9B12-86A2852E8C39.jpeg
    5C795C6C-3C0B-44EF-9B12-86A2852E8C39.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 102
Found this odd metal plate which appears to say “Cowwodol” on the flat side. I am not sure what to make of the pattern on the other side. There are at least five holes through it like it was screwed onto something with small screws. There’s also two raised spots on opposite sides of the patterned side. Almost like it seated against another piece - like half of some sort of embossing press. Any ideas on what this could be?

Old topo maps show residences on the site by the late 1800s to early 1900s. The residences were demolished in the last 10 years or so.
Looks like a printing plate to me.. most likely some kind of advertisement.
The small holes are for attaching it to a piece of wooden block.

That would make sense, thanks! Now if only I knew what Cowwodol stood for. Of course, the only reference on the Internet is … this post.
That would make sense, thanks! Now if only I knew what Cowwodol stood for. Of course, the only reference on the Internet is … this post.
Actually, I just thought of something… that word would be reversed on the plate if that was the side that was printed so it would be be correct on paper.
I think the other side was used for printing since it had a high relief on it.
Maybe that word is the name of a printing plate company… just a guess.

LodowwoC! I remember that from StarTrek, Klingon I think……
Serious now, what you think looks like an L looks maybe to me like a B but that makes no sense either cuz the B is facing normal…🤷‍♂️

Actually, I just thought of something… that word would be reversed on the plate if that was the side that was printed so it would be be correct on paper.
I think the other side was used for printing since it had a high relief on it.
Maybe that word is the name of a printing plate company… just a guess.
Yes, that is what I am thinking. But, the relatively high relief (roughly 2 mm) makes me wonder about the preferred printing media.