Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DFX vs XLT

sgtm8411

I purchased a manticore for myself and two equinox 600’s for my sons. My oldest son hates the equinox for a variety of reasons. I had an old Whites Spectrum XLT which I grew up with and which is the detector that made me fall in love with detecting but it finally gave up the ghost. I found a guy selling a DFX for $225 plus shipping and am gonna grab it for my son but it needs a battery. Are the battery and the coils from my XLT compatible with this DFX??? Thanks in advance!!!!

Correct. DFX is 3&15.

The DFX should use the same battery pack.

Tips for the DFX. Run the filter at 4 for an XLT type response, lower filters = better depth if the soil allows. After balancing you can check the manual ground balance settings to get an Idea of the mineralization in the ground. Single Frequency is better than dual as far as depth. Use 3khz for silver and 15hz for gold/nickel. Running in best data for dual frequency will give you the most depth. Correlate will kill your depth. The start at Preamp 3. adjust the AC sensitivity from there. If it is quiet up to 90ish AC then back you can try preamp 4. Again, set the AC so it is quiet. Ground balance several times, sometimes I lock it in manual after balancing. Check balance often by pulling the trigger and raising and lowering the loop. EMI can be an issue. Lift the coil and pull the trigger, there should be no changes in the pinpoint tone. If EMI is making the tone wobble or pop, lower the sensitivity.

My tests show that I can run up to AC95 before I bump it down to AC65 and up the preamp to the next level before I start raising the AC to where it is slightly unstable, then backing off like 3 to 5 points.

This unit transmits both (really more than both) frequencies at all times, you only select what the receiver listens to.

I found it is more temperamental than the XLT was, seems my old XLT would just scream at me if it ran over a good target casually, where my DFX is pickier and I spend more time sweeping to get a good reading. I can not tell if I am just digging less trash (as there is more trash in our parks than ever) or if the XLT just did not sound off on the "iffy" targets.

Sweep speed and recovery are important.

Set tone ID ect to your preference.

I had the bigfoot on the XLT and it just ate up the coins. I have the bigfoot for the DFX and like I said....the machine is a bit pickier. I can still pull a quarter at 6+ inches easy with the bigfoot, so recent drops get swept up easy.

Sweeping quick, but not "fast" helps. changing direction of sweep over a target also helps "clear up" a signal if there is a bad target near.