Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frustrating and need to vent

Ronstar

The last couple of months jkline and I have begun to locate and notice some very unprofessional “holes” being dug around the campus area, the areas that so far only he and I have written permits to detect on. From the appearances we both both believe someone,such as a detectorist, is using a common spade shovel to dig large scalloped “holes” instead of plugs to make recoveries.
Yesterday I went to an area known as the band field (mock football field where marching band practices) and started working the outside fringe areas just to spend some time, all was good until I was nearly done and starting back towards where I parked. I crossed thru the goal post area and began encountering several large scalloped divots. Average diameter was 8-10” and only 3-5” deep, most had not even placed back in the same hole as removed nor any attempt to press down or cover up the edges. I should of taken pictures but I simply stopped and left. I emailed my contact at Facilities Management regarding the discovery.
Several weeks ago we discovered very similar “holes” on the Administration Lawn. This campus has been recognized as one of the top 10 prettiest campuses in the U.S. and what is happening is going to get all detecting banned. We have made some pretty incredible finds and have been very careful to cover the plugs carefully. Now some idiot is about to reverse that policy.
Campus Security has been notified about this earlier. My gut feeling is someone may be doing this either extremely early in the mornings or during cover of darkness. I do not know if CamSec operates 24/7 or just certain hours. Looking at the “holes” leads me to thing someone maybe has a cheap beep and dig and no pinpointer. One of the “holes” I saw yesterday was three large divots, all touching and already starting to die (thinking 10-14 days age). I’m almost positive the tops were not placed back in the same bottoms.
Does anyone have any similar occurrences or experiences? Any suggestions? Any thoughts? Shoot, shovel, and shutup looking good as a cure......

Critter cam maybe...and word-of-mouth inquiries in the neighborhood might provide name of a suspect.

I've encountered this a number of times over the years and most recently this past winter on some of the trails that get used that run through the woods on one of our older, historic parks. We think we know who is doing it, but he apparently hunts later in the day then we do. Haven't caught him yet, but I did call him out the last time I saw him. He denied it was him, but had a sheepish look when confronted. Most when confronted get belligerent it seems and I was once told to mind my own business. I told him if our parks get closed that I would look him up.

Not sure what the answer is other then re-do their holes. Every detectorist knows better. Most that do just don't give a damn from the experiences with them that I have had. Unfortunate! HH jim tn

The last couple of months jkline and I have begun to locate and notice some very unprofessional “holes” being dug around the campus area, the areas that so far only he and I have written permits to detect on. From the appearances we both both believe someone,such as a detectorist, is using a common spade shovel to dig large scalloped “holes” instead of plugs to make recoveries.
Yesterday I went to an area known as the band field (mock football field where marching band practices) and started working the outside fringe areas just to spend some time, all was good until I was nearly done and starting back towards where I parked. I crossed thru the goal post area and began encountering several large scalloped divots. Average diameter was 8-10” and only 3-5” deep, most had not even placed back in the same hole as removed nor any attempt to press down or cover up the edges. I should of taken pictures but I simply stopped and left. I emailed my contact at Facilities Management regarding the discovery.
Several weeks ago we discovered very similar “holes” on the Administration Lawn. This campus has been recognized as one of the top 10 prettiest campuses in the U.S. and what is happening is going to get all detecting banned. We have made some pretty incredible finds and have been very careful to cover the plugs carefully. Now some idiot is about to reverse that policy.
Campus Security has been notified about this earlier. My gut feeling is someone may be doing this either extremely early in the mornings or during cover of darkness. I do not know if CamSec operates 24/7 or just certain hours. Looking at the “holes” leads me to thing someone maybe has a cheap beep and dig and no pinpointer. One of the “holes” I saw yesterday was three large divots, all touching and already starting to die (thinking 10-14 days age). I’m almost positive the tops were not placed back in the same bottoms.
Does anyone have any similar occurrences or experiences? Any suggestions? Any thoughts? Shoot, shovel, and shutup looking good as a cure......

Ronstar: Maybe setting up guard is all that anyone can do to catch the ignorant, selfish person or maybe he/she (I would say an older person) didn't get permission & is jealous enough to get all detecting stopped! Also, it could be their place of graduation & don't want lawns disturbed, even a little bit, I bet whoever it is has seen you both detecting & imagine the worse! Taking pictures & showing them to the proper people will need to be done BUT will probably stop all detecting there! Always trouble makers to upset a good thing even with permission given! Good Luck & hope someway, somehow the shovel digging is stopped & continue detecting there for you & jkline is continued! Ma

I have found similar digs here in central Iowa in parks in two towns. Some DS is using an 8" + - wide shovel to skim the top two in of dirt/grass and leaving a mess. I have notified both of the parks custodians to be on the lookout for this person(s).
Are they looking for worms under the grass & soil removal? Really strange that a derectorist would only remove an inch or two of dirt & not dig a deeper hole for digging up coins! Detectors will bring worms to the surface-- they were there when I dug! Ma

Ron, I've never actually encountering someone digging like this but I've seen some of what you've described lately. In the last several years I've seen a remarkable increase in the # of persons starting this work(uh i mean hobby). I had several folks stop me and tell they've recently purchased a metal detector people you used to not see as much, children, women, younger men trying to relieve stress etc. They typically tell me they bought a cheapo machine that they've used 2 or 3 times and of course have found little. One woman told me she bought a machine at Costco and had never removed it from the box. No wonder they have no clue as to how to properly dig a site. I can't tell you the solution but I can tell you where it's coming from. It's the REALITY shows. They have convinced Joe Twobeers he can buy a machine from China, get a garden shovel go to the local park and riches will start springing up like daisies. I believe a lot of it is not malice but pure ignorance. I will use my opportunity to educate on proper techinque like pinpointing, learning whats probably under there before you every dig and sizing(the 3 holes dug is folks trying to dig a coke can). Heck its harder for me to find stuff nowdays so most of these folks will try a few times and give up. And the reality shows will close and hopefully leave the folks who do it right still intact.

I walked the dog in the park I usually hunt, I haven't been there in a few weeks... I was scoping out a grass section near the old concession stand and noticed several dead spots, apon closer inspection they were 10-12" wide plugs dirt laying all over the surface grass and the half moon cuts all around like they were chasing a signal. I saw a groundskeeper I know and he said it was a couple of guys with detectors carrying short shovels... his boss is not happy and said he was going to message the county to see what could be done about MDing... our park rules here specify NO metal detectors in playground areas or athletic fields.. which I abide by... the general area rules are no destroying plants, trees, or turf. I'm guessing they will start kicking the MDers out for the latter set of rules...

Game cameras not going to work in the middle of a football field (and larger) area. I had a groundskeeper mowing nearby who saw me and never called it in!!! I am happy to have CamSec stop and check me anytime anywhere, but without everybody making an effort this is just going to get closed up. The Landscape Supervisor has not called me back after nearly 7 hrs now but then again graduation has occurred and maybe he is on vacation.
Sorry to say but CamSec is inexperienced students walking around with jackets that say Security and Im pretty sure no two way radios.... Personally, I would love to see the university charge these idiots in student court and let them work it off fixing not only their damage but other student damages (broken tree limbs, etc).
Thanks for responding and letting me vent!

It’s frustrating to know that’s going on for sure. I’ve run across various BS over time, a good one was a plug with a can in it. When I swept over it, it was obvious the signal was WAY too big to be a coin...but whoever dug it up anyway decided to leave it there. And it goes south from there....
Its possible that people go, expecting to find silver coins everywhere and don’t...and then get an attitude about it...and commence wrecking the place out of “spite”. Who knows. Result is the same though, we all look like Bozos.
If it’s a good site, you almost have to report it and clear yourself, just to maintain your own name.

IDX, I think you probably summed this up pretty good. This field has several fraternities and a couple sororities on one side and a whole lot of multilevel student apartments on the other side. Anybody looking out a window could see us/anyone detecting. The big three ring plug I mentioned I did run my coil over it and got a good clear high tone so probably a can as you say. I looked at it as being no handheld pinpointer and or inaccurate detector system. The band field I can see someone getting into but the AdLawn is really getting ballsy. That is what made me think middle of the night pirate. The landscape supervisor still has not returned my call and thats concerning..... my contact does return to work today so I’m going to be the squeaky wheel and he will get me to someone (thats why his name plate at the front desk says Zoo Keeper).😂😂😂

Had a sit down talk with Facilities Maintenance supervisor today! He agreed to go to the band field and see what had happened. Jkline met us there. Good exchange!!! He knows it is not our doing, his crews are happy with what they have seen of us. He is going to make specific request to CamSec to start ID’ing anyone with a detector and tell them to leave if they dont possess a current permit. (Thats just Jeff and I so go get ‘em CamSec!)

Unfortunately it is so dry here that even my small plugs from Monday are turning brown. We are now concentrating on lawns with irrigation systems.

Update: jkline actually observed a guy detecting and low and behold he was digging trenches!!! Jeff said the kid seemed pretty nice but was asked why he was cutting huge plugs, his basic answer was he didnt want to run the risk of damaging a find with the shovel. Jeff said CamSec also approached and ID’d him so that helps. He did not have the standard permit format tho but he did have the email stream from the lady at FacMaint granting the basic permission. This guy is not from here but from the next town 30 miles away. Deputy that I worked with that detects with an old Tesoro has had contact with this guy before and told me he embellishes his finds when talking to others. With the way he digs up the lawn I wonder why he is up here instead of his town, maybe ran out of places after being told to stop? Guess we will see if he’s gone now!