Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing iffy and or deep targets with Sovereign GT

Still learning my GT. Today when hunting I had a few iffy targets I could not pinpoint very well so I kept on walking. If could of pinpointed to a reasonable area I would of dug. Note the target was one way but good ID and Tone other direction was a null. The iron made think masking of something good. Had iron mask on. Pinpoint mode did not give a solid hit either.

Any tips?

Bry here is what i did a few years ago to learn what i was hearing in my HP,s i took a old rusty nail and a silver dime or clad, i dug a 5 inch deep hole place both targets at the bottom of the hole and covered it i used my foot to pack down the soil , then i ran my coil over it in disc. mode i heard the same thing you did the null of the nail first i swing again and i heard a iffy signal there would not be a iffy signal if there was just a nail in the hole , i know its not like having a target in the ground undisturbed for like 20 years but basically the same thing you can hear both targets .The pinpoint might be week because of the iron masking the good target . Worth a try post your results . Jim

Thanks - that is what I was thinking. If only iron there would be no iffy signall. The other thing I noted on the GT targets that are very deep will null if if they are good targets. The signal seems down average the deeper it is to the point where the detector can see it but thinks it is iron. So even solo iron hits have me wondering what's down there.

Bryanna

deepdiger60 said:
Bry here is what i did a few years ago to learn what i was hearing in my HP,s i took a old rusty nail and a silver dime or clad, i dug a 5 inch deep hole place both targets at the bottom of the hole and covered it i used my foot to pack down the soil , then i ran my coil over it in disc. mode i heard the same thing you did the null of the nail first i swing again and i heard a iffy signal there would not be a iffy signal if there was just a nail in the hole , i know its not like having a target in the ground undisturbed for like 20 years but basically the same thing you can hear both targets .The pinpoint might be week because of the iron masking the good target . Worth a try post your results . Jim

If you work around a target (like cuts in a pie) and its center keeps moving around on you, its probably iron even though you get a decent signal. If it stays in one place but iffy, it could still be iron like a vertical nail, but its likely to be a high conductor target like a coin.

Some like to see if it moves in PP mode to tell it's iron. I don't like doing that as it could be a coin next to iron and PP mode will be drawn to the iron. I use discriminate to PP. I have dug coins that nulled all the way around but one spot. Just PP from the side where you are getting the good coin signal. Use discriminate and the tip of the coil if you can't nail it down in PP mode. Even though I have a remote PP switch I rarely use PP mode these days. I prefer the tip in discriminate, but some use the center of the coil in discriminate and it's fine too.

Ok I must be getting better. At first I was having trouble pinpointing in Discrimination mode. But all of a sudden I just know where the target is under th coil. Still trouble with those iffy targets that do not want to talk to you enough to tell where they are but everything else is starting to click.

If you have trouble PPing from two 90 degree spots then go by the side that gives you the best target signal. IE: If it's "Coin" one way and suspect the other, PP from the "coin" side only. I normaly use two 90 degree spots to line up my PP with the tip of the coil, but if it nulls or sounds like junk from one way then I just PP with the tip from the good side where it said "coin". In particular, if two 90 degree spots are way off from each other then for sure use the "good" side to PP and disregard the "bad" angle.