Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relearned an old lesson for a spring tune up

Ed Steinhoff

I hunted a well hunted small town park today and didn't get a single signal in the gravel covered tot-lot.
Moved into the grass right next to the playground because experience has shown me that often if the tot-lot is being picked clean by a local md'er, they are usually to lazy or unskilled to work the grass.
This place was no exception. As soon as I got in the grass the coins began popping up. Worked a 84' by 42' patch between the playground and the first picnic pavilion and pulled 17 coins. Standard park program ie. 60 sens 4 disc, dp speed. 4h tones. -1 thres, 11" DD coil , the f-70 was humming!! But something was nagging me, gut instinct said something wasn"t right.
After I finished the patch east to west and stood looking back at where I had been and it occurred to me to grid it the other way! Duh!
When I had finished the north south pattern, I had pulled 17 more coins! My first pattern had missed 50% of the targets in the same piece of ground!
Observing what I was doing on the next area, I saw that my pattern was careless and sloppy. I was going to fast and zig-zagging, a little golf swing at the end and worst of all, instead of a smooth even stride behind to machine, I was leading with my left foot, long step with it and short step with right foot, which widened the zig-zag on every other step.
Cleaned up my act and on the next two way grid only found 5 coins on the right angle second trip over.
Never hurts to go back to the basics and tune yourself up!!
Finished the 2.5 hunt in dry hard ground with 64 coins and renewed confidence in myself!!
HH Ed in co.

n/t

its a bit like tennis, or any other sport for that matter and thanks for the reminder :biggrin: need to be in the zone, and most of all having fun, found myself getting frustrated the other day all the form goes out the window !!

well done on the finds.

AJ

Good reminder. You are so right! Good ground simply does need to be worked from different directions. Something that is hidden from one direction often can be hit from another. Bet after a nice soaker rain you can pull a few more coins from the spot. Thanks, HH jim tn

Thanks for the post, and well done! We all need a reminder from time to time on some of the basics of detecting (just hope tht the guy who does the tot lot doesn't read your post:lol:) HH

Yeah! It really does take a bit of time/focus to get back in the zone after a bit of time off..all the basics of blocking and tackling and the finds start to pop..Great work Ed!:thumbup:
Mud