Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rutus Alter 71

PDH

I have narrowed down my new detector choice to the Rutus Alter 71 or the Equinox. I have watched a lot of videos on the Equinox and it appears to be the cats meow, but the Rutus looks to be equally or even more impressive. From what I've seen, the Rutus looks to be better at unmasking and seems to have a more stable TID. Very limited information on the Rutus compared to the Equinox so I am looking for input/advice from anyone who has used the Rutus and hopefully from someone who has used both machines. I'm primarily a dry land relic hunter so I'm looking for a detector that does well in areas with a lot of iron trash. Thanks in advance.

Rutus is a nice unit and performs well. I bought one and tried it out and it was impressive. Equinox out classes it for several reasons. Tones, waterproof, Multi IQ tech, and the Nox is way deeper in my soil. Rutus has no iron vol so that was a major problem for me as I need to hear the iron looking for relic sites but dont need it coming in the same volume as non ferrous. A iron volume on a machine is a must for relics. It is true the rutus will unmask in some situations with the concentric coil better than the Nox but the Nox will out do it in other situations. That's just the nature of the DD coil VS concentric coils.

No way would I buy a Rutus over a Equinox 800. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

Great advice Calabash and thanks for the input. Looks like a NOX is in my near future.

Just note that Rutus Alter 71 version 2.0 has "iron volume" now.

HH
Mike

Frequency adjustable between 4.4kHz and 18.4kHz in steps of 0.2kHz
Automatic Ground Balance
Proper Ground Balance information
7 factory programs + 4 users
Modes of work: Motion with discrimination, All metal, Dual
Sensitivity - 90 levels
Discrimination: range 0-120 or -90 +90
Notch - 120 notches
Pinpoint
Hot rock adjustment
Reaction speed (ground filters) - 8 levels
Short signal masking - 7 levels
Threshold level
Threshold tone
Threshold sensitivity (All metal channel)
VCO
SAT
Audio gain
Iron volume
6 factory preset sound profiles + 3 user programmable sound profiles
ID type (range 0-120 or -90 +90)
Display information hold time
ID gain
Volume
Backlight
Built-in wireless audio transmitter
Weight with batteries (6 AA cells) - 1630 g

I never heard of the Rutus, but I do have the Equinox 800.
The Rutus might be a fine machine, but one thing that caught my eye about the Rutus is the max frequency of 18 kHz. This will limit you. This might not seem important to you right now, but it could become a serious issue for you later. Why not look for a nice machine that has a max frequency of around 40 kHz? This way, you will not be limited as your experience and horizons grows. Just my two cents worth.

Ended up purchasing a Nox 800. I have been playing with it in my test garden and so far I'm pretty impressed.

PDH said:
I have narrowed down my new detector choice to the Rutus Alter 71 or the Equinox. I have watched a lot of videos on the Equinox and it appears to be the cats meow, but the Rutus looks to be equally or even more impressive. From what I've seen, the Rutus looks to be better at unmasking and seems to have a more stable TID. Very limited information on the Rutus compared to the Equinox so I am looking for input/advice from anyone who has used the Rutus and hopefully from someone who has used both machines. I'm primarily a dry land relic hunter so I'm looking for a detector that does well in areas with a lot of iron trash. Thanks in advance.
This is a very important post, I am in the same dilemma, cant decide. The Rutus or the nox 800, they both have their strong points. The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is the battery situation on the nox, would like to change the batteries my self. The Rutus isn't water proof, but I like sound of the tones, very sharp and distinct, I'm not seeing that with the nox. I'm sure both are fantastic machines, but I'm leaning towards the nox 800.

PDH said:
Ended up purchasing a Nox 800. I have been playing with it in my test garden and so far I'm pretty impressed.
Congratulations, PDH. Pretty steep learning curve, but it should be worth it. Have fun!

joey786 said:
This is a very important post, I am in the same dilemma, cant decide. The Rutus or the nox 800, they both have their strong points. The only thing I'm a bit nervous about is the battery situation on the nox, would like to change the batteries my self. The Rutus isn't water proof, but I like sound of the tones, very sharp and distinct, I'm not seeing that with the nox. I'm sure both are fantastic machines, but I'm leaning towards the nox 800.
Watch calabash video all you need to see

The Rutus is a decent machine, I was the first person to have one in North America, I was testing it when they were still working out the bugs and werent even released. I would have kept it but i couldnt get a extended shaft and because im 6'4 the machine was not usable.

Good choice Kris. Mine leans up against the wall. Very lonely.