Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Multi-Frequency mode...

sgoss66

For me, that is the REAL question on this unit. The details regarding the multi-frequency mode.

User-selectable frequencies for different conditions, super. All frequency options running through the same coil, super. FAST recovery, super. LIGHTWEIGHT, super. Wireless, super. Lithium long-life battery, super. Etc. etc. I am loving these things that the Equinox will offer. I am confident it will do each of these things very well, up to Minelab standards. But, I truly believe that if this machine wants to be a game-changer, what will push it over the top will have to come from the performance of the multi-frequency mode. Short of that, it's likely to be on a much more level playing field with machines like the Deus, etc. Sure, it will compete, and the lower price point will help it compete strongly, but for me to #1 -- choose this INSTEAD of the Deus, or other similar fast, lightweight, good-in-iron units, and #2 -- have my Explorer pried from my hands, Minelab will have to pull me in specifically with the performance of the multi-frequency mode. As a person who primarily "turf hunts" for deep, old coins, I NEED the performance that FBS affords to be successful -- that being unmatched ID (numerical and tonal), through the entire depth capability of the unit. IF -- IF -- the multi-frequency mode on this unit is FBS-based, or at least performs equal to, or even a tad better than, FBS-style multi-frequency technology -- in terms of depth, and ID at depth, I'M IN.

In other words, if this unit does everything that it looks like it will do, AND -- hitting the multi-frequency mode button puts you in "FBS mode," where you are essentially running an improved version of the Explorer/E-Trac (including Explorer/E-Trac tones, and FE and CO numbers on the screen), then Minelab will likely have hit a "grand slam," in my opinion.

I doubt the multi-frequency mode will be "FBS," or even "FBS-like." But however it works, I truly believe that how this mode performs for deep-coin hunters in turf is what will be the one thing that pushes this unit over the edge, to truly "make all single-frequency VLF units obsolete," as their marketing strategy claims...

PLEASE, Minelab, while the machine is still in "pre-release" stages, PLEASE use FBS technology for your "multi-frequency" mode, and give us an FE/CO number plus Explorer/E-Trac sounds in that mode...

EVEN IF you incorporate this idea into a "1000" model -- the 600 without prospecting mode, the 800 with, and the 1000 which adds "FBS multifrequency mode," and price that one at say $850 to $900...I'm IN!

PLEASE, Minelab....

Steve

Awesome Steve...perfectly said. If I'm swinging something that is as light as my Compadre with the features and capabilities of my Explorer...and I can throw it on a small creek with no worries...I AM IN!!

So, reading a bit more about the unit, it looks like the multi-frequency technology is being called Multi-IQ simultaneous multi-frequency technology. So, it's apparently not "FBS." HOPEFULLY, it is "FBS-like." I really, really want to hear the details of this "Multi-IQ" technology. I hope this is thoroughly tested, as I would expect that it is THIS MODE that would be used by coin hunters in turf-type settings.

As I said, if it can match FBS quality in terms of ID through the entire depth range of the machine, hopefully with FE and CO readout and "Explorer/E-Trac tones," this would really, really be a game-changing machine IMO.

Steve

from my experience with tectors for the most part I get what I pay for..

if it is that good minelab will just axe all other VLF detectors and sell this one :thumbup:

if they do that I will buy one :shrug:

reality is all we have seen is a air test, like the racer 2 can do 3 feet on a coin in air deep mode , great party trick but means nothing in the dirt.

time will tell as they say..

would love to flog of my ctx for one of these but something tells me I maybe disappointed :rant:

happy to be wrong !!

BP

The Equinox does not have the 2 FE CO numbers from what i see. I don't think they would try make the equinox too good or no one would buy the CTX...
I like how Minelab says it obsolete's other single freq machines , i mean that is one BIG BIG statement to make! , just in what way will it obsolete other machines,
I think for me to obsolete other vlf machines the equinox would have to punch down lets say 20% to 30% Deeper. There are plenty of fast machines about these days
so it has to have a fair bit deeper detection for me for it to warrant this amazing claim.. I think it's going to be a very good detector , i will be buying one eventually!

Yes i agree detecting a coin at 3 feet in air proves nothing , same coin buried might get 4 inches in some dirt , most people don't understand that fact..

Since this is not FBS, I think they don't have the FE and CO numbers (as a possibility). If they do, I hope to see it available in the 1200 (if they make a higher model. ;-) or as an USB upgrade.
I can accept not having a 2D screen, as the light weight, speed, FBS like sound, etc. is enough to sway me. But, how about an E-Trac replacement model that is between the 600/800 Equinox and CTX?
I don't think the CTX sold super well due to the price and it is due for a replacement/upgrade (5 years old?), so if Minelab can build something something higher end for 1200 bucks, they will come.

Minelab, thanks for finally listening though!

As a relic hunter that multi freq at the same time is very interesting. If it handles iron very well and has decent depth it will be a relic game changer imo. Look at the price range just knocked the max and impact down and put some pressure on others. I hunt a site in 7kh , 17 kh and now 28 kh so I have to go over it at least 3x. What if I could run all those freq at once? game changer! IF DEPTH IS DECENT AND HANDLES IRON WELL....

Yes the detector should have the ability especially on worked out sites to find the good targets missed with other detectors.
The proof of just how good the equinox is will be when the videos start coming on u tube with the depth tests compared to other Detectors.
That 40 Khz looks tempting to try when hunting Gold including Gold Rings. I found 2 with another detector running near 40 Khz.
The equinox looks bottom heavy though , might need a counter balance weight near the arm cuff lol...

This is my biggest question also. How will it work on wet salt sand in multi-frequency mode?

Will you get at least coil sized depth and accurate target ID at coil sized depth, or does is fail to ground balance properly in wet salt?

If works, it will truly be the first all-terrain detector at that price point I've ever seen.

Fingers are crossed!

Miser67 said:
This is my biggest question also. How will it work on wet salt sand in multi-frequency mode?

Will you get at least coil sized depth and accurate target ID at coil sized depth, or does is fail to ground balance properly in wet salt?

If works, it will truly be the first all-terrain detector at that price point I've ever seen.

Fingers are crossed!

It should work well on the salt wet like all multi freq machines . One of the video's it says so .

The factory info put out says that it uses 2 simultaneous circuits. One is a multifreq that is constantly measuring mineralization and making adjustments for that. The other circuit is the single freq detecting channel.

Ground minerals are the number 1 limiting factor on detection depth (like when you can air test to 3 feet but nothing remotely close to that in the ground). If they have improved ground compensation of the multifreqs (the biggest killer of single freq detectors) while still allowing the speed of single freq channel analysis (which is what they seem to be saying) then yes, this will make all conventional single freq detectors obsolete.

I mean, think about it. What has everyone been complaining about for years? they complain that minelab multifreqs are too slow to analyse and require too slow of swing speeds. Everyone love how fast the single freqs are but they lack ground comp and they lack a lot of the analysis of co-located targets. Here we have a machine that may just bridge all those gaps. At the very least it seems you can flip back and forth in modes. E-Trac and CTX have been known as silver killers but lack that ability to see tiny or weak gold signals. 40K will stomp that problem.

Right now though, its all speculation since we can only see a few seconds of use from a couple people who got to test them. Once they hit the streets its going to be all sunshine and lolipop reports as everyone LOVES it. Give them a few months and we will see the truth come out. The problems will creep up, solutions will be discussed and discovered and then see how people still think of them a year later.

Jason in Enid said:
The factory info put out says that it uses 2 simultaneous circuits. One is a multifreq that is constantly measuring mineralization and making adjustments for that. The other circuit is the single freq detecting channel.

Ground minerals are the number 1 limiting factor on detection depth (like when you can air test to 3 feet but nothing remotely close to that in the ground). If they have improved ground compensation of the multifreqs (the biggest killer of single freq detectors) while still allowing the speed of single freq channel analysis (which is what they seem to be saying) then yes, this will make all conventional single freq detectors obsolete.

I mean, think about it. What has everyone been complaining about for years? they complain that minelab multifreqs are too slow to analyse and require too slow of swing speeds. Everyone love how fast the single freqs are but they lack ground comp and they lack a lot of the analysis of co-located targets. Here we have a machine that may just bridge all those gaps. At the very least it seems you can flip back and forth in modes. E-Trac and CTX have been known as silver killers but lack that ability to see tiny or weak gold signals. 40K will stomp that problem.

Right now though, its all speculation since we can only see a few seconds of use from a couple people who got to test them. Once they hit the streets its going to be all sunshine and lolipop reports as everyone LOVES it. Give them a few months and we will see the truth come out. The problems will creep up, solutions will be discussed and discovered and then see how people still think of them a year later.

So you are NOT selling your CTX tonight? :devil:

Jason in Enid said:

Hmmm who called that on :).......

not yet. I'm pre-ordering a EQ. We will have to see how it stacks up. I did the same when the CTX came I out. I held my E-Trac, but a year later I hadn't picked it back up so I sold it. Time will tell!

sgoss66 said:
For me, that is the REAL question on this unit. The details regarding the multi-frequency mode.

User-selectable frequencies for different conditions, super. All frequency options running through the same coil, super. FAST recovery, super. LIGHTWEIGHT, super. Wireless, super. Lithium long-life battery, super. Etc. etc. I am loving these things that the Equinox will offer. I am confident it will do each of these things very well, up to Minelab standards. But, I truly believe that if this machine wants to be a game-changer, what will push it over the top will have to come from the performance of the multi-frequency mode. Short of that, it's likely to be on a much more level playing field with machines like the Deus, etc. Sure, it will compete, and the lower price point will help it compete strongly, but for me to #1 -- choose this INSTEAD of the Deus, or other similar fast, lightweight, good-in-iron units, and #2 -- have my Explorer pried from my hands, Minelab will have to pull me in specifically with the performance of the multi-frequency mode. As a person who primarily "turf hunts" for deep, old coins, I NEED the performance that FBS affords to be successful -- that being unmatched ID (numerical and tonal), through the entire depth capability of the unit. IF -- IF -- the multi-frequency mode on this unit is FBS-based, or at least performs equal to, or even a tad better than, FBS-style multi-frequency technology -- in terms of depth, and ID at depth, I'M IN.

In other words, if this unit does everything that it looks like it will do, AND -- hitting the multi-frequency mode button puts you in "FBS mode," where you are essentially running an improved version of the Explorer/E-Trac (including Explorer/E-Trac tones, and FE and CO numbers on the screen), then Minelab will likely have hit a "grand slam," in my opinion.

I doubt the multi-frequency mode will be "FBS," or even "FBS-like." But however it works, I truly believe that how this mode performs for deep-coin hunters in turf is what will be the one thing that pushes this unit over the edge, to truly "make all single-frequency VLF units obsolete," as their marketing strategy claims...

PLEASE, Minelab, while the machine is still in "pre-release" stages, PLEASE use FBS technology for your "multi-frequency" mode, and give us an FE/CO number plus Explorer/E-Trac sounds in that mode...

EVEN IF you incorporate this idea into a "1000" model -- the 600 without prospecting mode, the 800 with, and the 1000 which adds "FBS multifrequency mode," and price that one at say $850 to $900...I'm IN!

PLEASE, Minelab....

Steve

That little adjustment would push this product back about two years. The numbers weren't finalized. It could be a whole new number system.

Jason in Enid said:

Easily one of the best posts I have read on this subject. I look forward to your opinions on the Equinox after you have had some time in the field.

Champ Ferguson said:
Jason in Enid said:

Easily one of the best posts I have read on this subject. I look forward to your opinions on the Equinox after you have had some time in the field.

I agree, very good post from Jason. BUT -- I am not sure this is likely to be exactly correct. I would believe that they may be dealing with the ground mineralization with one or more frequencies, in multi-freq. HOWEVER, if you are running, say, 5kHz single freq., Park mode, while coin hunting, and then you switch to "multi-frequency" while in Park mode... the designer has already said that the frequencies used in multi-freq. Park mode will be "appropriate" for that mode, so let's say it's 5, 10, and 15 kHz. If the 10 and 15 kHz channels, lets say, are just for ground compensation, while 5 kHz is the "detecting channel," then WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER choose 5 kHz single freq., when you could choose multi-freq, still hunt at 5 kHz, but have the ground being compensated for in a superior way using other frequencies? I can't see why you'd ever WANT the single freq. 5 kHz, if it is set up the way Jason is suggesting. You'd ALWAYS want the ground compensated for in a more "robust" way using multi-frequencies, no? I HAVE TO BELIEVE, at this point, that the multi-freq. option uses algorithmic comparisons of at least two different frequencies (that are being used as "detecting" frequencies), and comparing the signal of those two to give a better, more accurate target ID, no?

Again just speculating, but I wonder...

Steve

sgoss66 said:
I agree, very good post from Jason. BUT -- I am not sure this is likely to be exactly correct. I would believe that they may be dealing with the ground mineralization with one or more frequencies, in multi-freq. HOWEVER, if you are running, say, 5kHz single freq., Park mode, while coin hunting, and then you switch to "multi-frequency" while in Park mode... the designer has already said that the frequencies used in multi-freq. Park mode will be "appropriate" for that mode, so let's say it's 5, 10, and 15 kHz. If the 10 and 15 kHz channels, lets say, are just for ground compensation, while 5 kHz is the "detecting channel," then WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER choose 5 kHz single freq., when you could choose multi-freq, still hunt at 5 kHz, but have the ground being compensated for in a superior way using other frequencies? I can't see why you'd ever WANT the single freq. 5 kHz, if it is set up the way Jason is suggesting. You'd ALWAYS want the ground compensated for in a more "robust" way using multi-frequencies, no? I HAVE TO BELIEVE, at this point, that the multi-freq. option uses algorithmic comparisons of at least two different frequencies (that are being used as "detecting" frequencies), and comparing the signal of those two to give a better, more accurate target ID, no?

Again just speculating, but I wonder...

Steve

I think you missed understood what I wrote. From what I read, there are 2 things happening at the same time. 1 - you have a ground circuit using a multi-freq program sensing the ground minerals. 2 - you have a detecting circuit using a selectable single freq or a multifreq based on the mode you selected.