Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Will this NEW equinox kill the X-terra series, or even the CTX series?

Probably will be the end to the X-terra line, but, no way will this be the end of the CTX.

Asking if the EQ will "kill off" the E-Trac or CTX is like asking if an AR-15 rifle will make a Bolt-action 30-06 useless. Two completely different platforms that function very different and specialize to different tasks. Is there overlap in thier use? Of course, but that doesnt mean one is "better". Just different tools for different jobs.

Now how it affects the x-terra line, I couldnt say. I dont swing one and I'm not sure of its price point.

I think it will replace the xterra, it might not replace the CTX but it might impact some of the sales, same for e-trac and similar types. This is my opinion.

It has already been said it isn't a BBS or FBS machine so I doubt it will kill those lines.
FBS hasn't even killed BBS off yet lol.

Speculating on what this machine will or will not do without an explanation AND testing of the new multi frequency technology is irrelevant at this point. Minelab hasn't done anything yet but teased the Multi-IQ platform and the "tests" at the rally scanning coins laying on grass meant nothing.

Everyone should just take a breath and wait until a machine gets into the hands of someone who knows FBS and BBS and then see what they have to say.

Since the Equinox can do what the Xterra can at the push of a button in terms of single frequency changes. With the addition of more frequencies, a higher frequency (40Khz) for prospecting, NO need to change coils for a frequency change, it's probably inevitable. Plus you have the multi-freq. option, not to mention submersible. It makes the Xterra outdated technology. Who knows, they may keep one of the lesser versions as an entry level machine?

One question I do have, is will the single frequencies of the Equinox perform as well as they did/do on the Xterra, running all the individual frequencies through one coil?

I agree that it may be the end of the X-Terras, but not the E- Trac or the CTX as these are the upper end Minelabs where as the new Equinox is made to compete with some of the other mid price detectors.
I am planning on trying one out myself just to see what it can do and what it cant, but dont feel it will replace my Sovereign GT or any of the E-Trac or CTX as these are proven detectors.

Rick

If the Equinox has 90% of the FBS depth, ID accuracy and ability to ignore crown caps, that will be enough for me to closet my E-Trac.
Heavy use of the CTX and E-Trac over the last few years has put a hurt on my tendons... Even while using bungees.
I NEED a lighter detector and The speed increase won't hurt either.

Bryan

Whoa. I was going to be ordering an X-705. Good thing for my indecisiveness. Now...Should I preorder or wait until field reports start coming out??!!

xwyokid said:
Whoa. I was going to be ordering an X-705. Good thing for my indecisiveness. Now...Should I preorder or wait until field reports start coming out??!!

I don't know...you decide!:crazy:

What do you use RIGHT NOW?

xwyokid said:

You can wait till people have done their tests but what happens if the queue is big to buy them ?

This is the Terra replacement , it may not seem so to many but it is . It has a lot more than the Terra but why stand still ?
This machine will likely sell like hotcakes and many people that have the Terra will buy it, many people that dont like the Deus will buy it , many people that want a light machine will buy it,
and many that have heavy machines will buy it .
Single and multi freq capability in one machine that is waterproof and light and fast . Between £400 and £1000 this could be the best machine out there and i best this will knock the Deus off its perch too.

Ordering doesn't commit you till you pay the money over.

I have ordered 2 and i will be buying them , but i will be going to the shop to pick them up .

How do you think this detector will compare to the ctx ? Really ctx has smart coils, ctx has target trace , Ctx has fe and co numbers. Im hoping the equinox is good but i find it hard to believe it will compare to the 2500 dollar ctx. Fb iq whatever that is time will tell. Only thing that i really am interested in is 40 freq, If you can run that smooth on a beach for gold jewelry that will make the detector worth the price but running smooth on the beach is a big if. Also everybody says ctx is to slow , with the right settings you can get silver out of iron infested sites esp with smooth aucio you can make that silver sing. doubt the eq will have the audio options the ctx has.

I dont think this was ever intended to be as good as the CTX or replace it. I think if you are a silver hunter, the CTX will still be your primary tool. But what about those horridly trashy sites? I think this was made for those spots plus low conductors like gold or hammered silvers. We all know the CTX is a silver slayer but has been shown to be lacking when searching for gold.

Jason in Enid said:
I dont think this was ever intended to be as good as the CTX or replace it. I think if you are a silver hunter, the CTX will still be your primary tool. But what about those horridly trashy sites? I think this was made for those spots plus low conductors like gold or hammered silvers. We all know the CTX is a silver slayer but has been shown to be lacking when searching for gold.

I haven't seen anyone question who or which country its aimed at?

Here in the UK an Explorer II will find exactly what the CTX will even at the same depth. A Deus is fast yes, but I bought one for what I thought were my trashy sites only to find that a well set up explorer found just as much but took a little longer.

I own all of the above and am on the waiting list for the new Equinox, am I expecting it too find more or deeper targets? No I'm not, if it match's the Deus that may go, and am looking at the GPX range for deep targets on pasture.

I attended the Detectorist 17 Rally and it was a brilliant event held over 3 days.

Minelab went overboard on this event, which organised to raise money for 2 charities.

All the manufacturers attending seemed to do well especially the Quest team.

XP were very busy as were all their agents.

The new Minelab shows promise, but those with the cash on the day were disappointed to hear there will be a 3 month wait.

Minelab freebies were handed out like there is no tomorrow.

Over 500 finds some going back 2000 years were registered using current varied detectors in daily use.

I think there were more XP Deus machines than any one other model in use at the dig.

Time will tell where the new Equinox is heading but it shows promise.

Personally I did not like the heavy cable wrapped around the shaft.

It would have been better to hide it within the shaft or to go completely wireless.

As I appeared to be oldest detectorist at the dig at 83 I have seen many changes since the 1970`s.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring if Rocket Man doesnt ruin things for us all.

Happy Hunting,,.

Jerry.

I think the X-Terra's will hang on for a while longer since they are now sold at a lower price point.