Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

100% new to this hobby!

GARYINVERMONT

Hello. I live in Vermont. I bought a used Scorpion. Never did this. Question #1---what is a 10 turn audio? The knob has no stopping point. Is this normal? The volume does not seem to adjust lower. Very clean and well maintained unit. Not a junker. Thank you for any assistance.

Does your panel look like this???, If so, the audio, is to set the threshold-the humming noise,, should be set for a slight hum or what is comfortable after you ground balance, is very easy to adjust to the tone you like, just slight adjustment is all that is needed, and set your disc or use All metal, depth is usually good when set at the marker point, as the disc is usually good for coins at the marking point also, If you have a manual, or the DVD that came with the detector look them over, if you don't have a DVD, can watch online by going to Garrett Scorpion DVD , and watching online, just type it in, and look around a little:garrett:

Thanks for come back. I just did investigating and examined the "10 turn". It was as I suspected.....it takes 10 turns to rotate the pot 1 rev. I also know that I am a little anxious. I need to take a close look at the video. We just had a bunch of flooding in Vermont. I am guessing the river banks may contain a few interesting small items. It seems to be a good time to start poking around. We have been doing a lot of clean up in our local village. If you want to see where I live and the sometimes wild Mad River I live next to (a place panning was common 30 years ago) that reached incredible new heights---go to you tube and search "Mad River Moretown". My user name is kcupmaker listed by the video. I am very thankful our property and home was spared. Many homes were not.

Do I find the instructional video at the Garret site?

You can find the instruction video, by just typing in garrett scorpion gold stinger video, you will get it from a garrett site, and other places, it's easy to find.
The 10 turn is the ground balance.
if you use it mostly for coin, the GB is not real picky,it dosen't have to be right on, just close, set it just so it dosen't beep all the time when you bump or touch the ground with the coil, even when it is set very good, sometimes it will beep and sound some when you get bouncing around and bumping the soil, the detector is a very good one, and will find everything if you want it to, or can use it just for coin, Charles Garrett, says in the manual that it takes 100 hours of use to really understand and get the benefit of this fine machine, good luck, and if i can help wih anything else -just yell.. Bugar

Welcome. I'm also a noob and purchased a Scoprion last week. It should be here next week, just in time for a Colorado camping trip to an old gold mining town! I think its funny (and fun) how excited you can get. I look at everything with an eye towards detecting now. I was hunting and found an old prospector hole that I marked on ym GPS. Then I found a drainage that had been dredged by the state due to beaver dams clogging it and I marked that. I also marked a few old roads from the 1800's. End results, I came home from 'hunting' with more markers for MDing than Elk! :wiggle:

Where I live there is a ton of fools gold, it gets everywhere and after rains it pockets in the low spots. I am wondering how that will mess with the MD and how to test betwen it and the real stuff.

FG

Flying4Nuggets said:
Welcome. I'm also a noob and purchased a Scoprion last week. It should be here next week, just in time for a Colorado camping trip to an old gold mining town! I think its funny (and fun) how excited you can get. I look at everything with an eye towards detecting now. I was hunting and found an old prospector hole that I marked on ym GPS. Then I found a drainage that had been dredged by the state due to beaver dams clogging it and I marked that. I also marked a few old roads from the 1800's. End results, I came home from 'hunting' with more markers for MDing than Elk! :wiggle:

Where I live there is a ton of fools gold, it gets everywhere and after rains it pockets in the low spots. I am wondering how that will mess with the MD and how to test betwen it and the real stuff.

FG

Fools gold(mica or pyrite)will not cause your metal detector to signal because it's not metal. Real gold will because it is metal.
So, don't worry about fools gold throwing the Scorpion off, because it won't. :garrett::detecting:
Hot rocks are a breeze to check, too, with that TR mode.:thumbup:
Feel free to ask for advice at anytime.:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

Thanks MH! Good to know, there is pyrite dust or flakes simply everywhere in the dirt around here. I would say it makes up about 3-5% of the ground. The rest is very thin top-soil (decomposed pine needles) and mostly clay/gravel (decomposed granite)