Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

10x14 or 8"mono

mikzz

Hi all,
just bought my finny, I tried him out in the goldfields and was very impressed with depth of the targets I found, but alas no gold this time, but there is a lot to learn with this machine
I also got the 7x3 DD for smaller stuff and for getting into the narrow wash aways it too punches pretty deep. my question is which mono coil should I get to complement my new toy will the 8" find smaller pieces than the 10x14 or are they much for much on size of target and the real difference is the depth of operation.
regards mike

Both of the mono.s will detect the same smallest size gold at similar depth but the 8 inch has the edge for the small stuff up to approx ring/coin size and is easier to pinpoint with and handle in rough ground.
For myself I like the 8 inch because it is light and will find targets at almost the same depth as the 10 x 14 mono. The large mono is great at the beach and for whenever you want to cover a lot of ground in lesser time than with the 8 inch.

The 8 has surprised me with small and deep -

thank you for the feedback, I took finny out for his second outing yesterday, still no gold but apart from lead, brass and rusty tin it did find an old shilling so I came home pleased with my day.
mike

Fishers Ghost said:
Both of the mono.s will detect the same smallest size gold at similar depth but the 8 inch has the edge for the small stuff up to approx ring/coin size and is easier to pinpoint with and handle in rough ground.
For myself I like the 8 inch because it is light and will find targets at almost the same depth as the 10 x 14 mono. The large mono is great at the beach and for whenever you want to cover a lot of ground in lesser time than with the 8 inch.

Just about to buy one of these 8'' coils and the performance wise ie depth when compaired to the larger 14x10 coil is nearly the same that is very encouraging,of course you dont get the same ground coverage but its the depth that i am after without lugging the bigger and heavier coil around.

Just wondering how you are getting along with the 8 inch mono?
Should be less troubled by EMI and easier to GB. and realy good on nuggs up to approx 10 g and then the 10 x 14 will gain a slight edge.

If you use the 3 x 7DD then use a very slow sweep speed.....Even with the 8 inch or 10 x 14s you need to sweep no faster than 1 to 1.5 fps. in order to avoid missing weak signals.
Also winding the threshold up a bit can enhance weak signals from the 3 x 7 and 8 inch. Experiment a bit and you will see what I mean.