Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

11x13 coil ears question

Geologyhound

On the regular 9 inch coil (first picture over the sink) the coil ears have two notches which fit the notched insert on the side of the thumb screw. On the 11 X 13 coil, the coil ears have no notches (second picture over white background), but the insert is still notched and doesn’t quite fit into the coil ears hole except for about the first millimeter “collar” at the tip. Do you just rely on the compression of the thumb screw to force the insert into the coil ears to secure the coil to the rod? Forcing anything makes me nervous. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 3939A649-40AF-44BC-A761-A9EB0007FDEB.jpeg
    3939A649-40AF-44BC-A761-A9EB0007FDEB.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 50
  • 0280D7E2-EB7E-4B73-8245-B262EBAECB5E.jpeg
    0280D7E2-EB7E-4B73-8245-B262EBAECB5E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
My 13” coil is the same and questioned if something was off, glad you asked the group as I am curious as well.

Does the 11x13 come with the exact same hardware as a 9”? I had the 11x13 but don’t recall if the hardware was all the same, I’m certainly reacquiring one over the winter.

Does the 11x13 come with the exact same hardware as a 9”? I had the 11x13 but don’t recall if the hardware was all the same, I’m certainly reacquiring one over the winter.
Mine came with a lower rod and two sets of washers, inserts and bolts.

Mine came with a lower rod and two sets of washers, inserts and bolts.
Mine was the same but don’t recall if the inserts had the lugs or not. I agree that having to force or over tighten something isn’t what you’re looking for…

I just tightened enough to keep it in place. Did not go beyond even though it didn't look right. Been using for months without any problems other than occasional tightening which I always had to do.

I just tightened enough to keep it in place.
+1 on this. That is just like every other detector too, just tighten enough to keep it in place. The rubber washer on the other side is what keeps it from easily turning, not the insert rubbing against the rod. Does your coil flop and pivot while detecting unless you "force it"? Over tightening the plastic bolt on any detector causes problems but is not necessary to keep it from pivoting.

FWIW I found one of these balancer/stabilizer units for a few bucks. It solved the problem with flopping and loosening of the 11 x 13 coil. It’s not perfect but it feels a lot better.

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• B4549AEE-AFD6-444D-89C5-1E169A14C713.jpeg
    B4549AEE-AFD6-444D-89C5-1E169A14C713.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • D0F534CD-CE35-406B-A280-BE2670E17382.jpeg
    D0F534CD-CE35-406B-A280-BE2670E17382.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
FWIW I found one of these balancer/stabilizer units for a few bucks. It solved the problem with flopping and loosening of the 11 x 13 coil. It’s not perfect but it feels a lot better.

Thanks, Dan
Hi Dan,
Looks good i think I see that you ran your antenna wire up the shaft I want to do that with mine its way to long! how exactly did you run yours? thanks
Mark

Mark, there might be better ways to do this, but I would be happy to show you how I did it.

F4C4CF5C-E4BD-4CDB-86D9-AA90CE3D9398.jpegRemove screw and pull off Mount/cap.

55652846-52AC-461E-B469-40A648B6D99B.jpegI had to make an elongated hole to accommodate the little stick at the end of the antenna wire. Feed the wire from the bottom of the shaft up. Pull the wire through your new hole, double the wire on itself and stuff it in the shaft. Voilà.

Mark, there might be better ways to do this, but I would be happy to show you how I did it.

View attachment 49521Remove screw and pull off Mount/cap.

View attachment 49523I had to make an elongated hole to accommodate the little stick at the end of the antenna wire. Feed the wire from the bottom of the shaft up. Pull the wire through your new hole, double the wire on itself and stuff it in the shaft. Voilà.
Nice, about exactly how I did mine.

I just tightened enough to keep it in place. Did not go beyond even though it didn't look right. Been using for months without any problems other than occasional tightening which I always had to do.
Thanks! I got a chance to get out and use it today. It was a bit more nose heavy than the 9 inch. I just kept tightening the wingnut until the coil stayed in position. It wasn’t a problem once I finally got it tightened enough.