Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1212x Repair BEWARE!

KansasGeo

OK, so my wife's 1212x was used so much the switch knob doesn't work anymore. I figured, "no big deal, I'll just send it off for repairs." YIKES! After some research, I found a certified repair shop in Texas (the closest one). I detached the coil and box from the rod and packed her up nice and snug like and shipped it off via delivery confirmation using the USPS. I emailed them of the arrival and was told 7 to 10 days for an "estimate." Now I know I am no electronic whiz, but after looking inside the control box, it seemed like a pretty simple fix. Replacing the knob seemed like no big deal and a fairly cheap procedure.

I received a reply from them yesterday, $65.00 per hour! It was estimated at 2 to 2 1/2 hours for repairs?!!!! MORE THAN $200 to repair? How can this be? I was clued in on the sales pitch at the end of the email which reads:

"Just a estimate, your 1212 is going to take at least 2-2 1/2 hrs. labor. $65.00 per hr. That doesnt include parts. We can get you a new one for $199.00 + tax & shipping.
You might as well check out our Whites Classic II on sale for $199.00 reg $249.95. that has a pin point switch."

Hmmm, this seems like they want me to buy another detector from them and don't really want to fix it at all.

This really makes my blood boil. I replied asking for the cost of shipping back to me and the price of the part to fix it myself. It's not rocket science. Anyone else had this happen to them? Is there someplace I can buy this part?

Mike,

YES! That is the one! I am glad I help ya in some way. I wish there was an honest, down-to-earth place that loved the hobby as much as we do and would just fix detectors for minimal "fair" price. Oh, well, I wish I could find a gold coin too!

Happy hunting.

contact fisher and tell them about your experience. make sure you let them know about the offer to sell you a white's instead of fixing your fisher.

Despite the price quoted, there's just no way in hel$ that it's ethical to try and sell you another brand! More reason to deal directly with Fisher at Los Banos!

To send to factory.heard more than one story about these sattelite repair stations. Indeed send to the head tech's....

I've got a Fisher 1265X which needed a new potentiometer for the sensitivity. I went directly to Fisher and ordered the part and put it in myself. Granted, the part was about $37.00, but it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than sending it in to some rip-off joint. Good luck with your machine repair.

Thanks for all the help fellow :fisher: detectorists.

I have sent two emails requesting my 1212x back from the yahoos and have received no replies. What if they don't send it back? What should I do then? This really makes me mad. :rant: I am going to contact Fisher and have them try to get my detector back. I hope it isn't in worse shape that what I sent it. This isn't a complicated machine. If I had the part I could do it myself. I have a soldering gun, etc. etc. Looks like this is gonna be a long and drawn-out process. :sadwalk:

That is rediculous! Pots are only around 3-5 dollars!!! You can take it out and look at value stamped on it and get a replacement at radio shack or on-line store, there is usually three wires to resolder, no big job even for beginner! I would call Fisher and complain directly to mangement and tell them you want your detector back! also, any electrical service TV, radio etc can replace it for you for alot less, there is nothing special about this. Don

Yes Don, I know! :rage:

I sent Fisher Labs an email from their Web site and got a response today from them which reads:

"Thank you for contacting Fisher Research Laboratory with your concerns regarding your repair. I have made contact with WXXXXXX EXXXXXXXX in regards to your detector and I will respond to you once I have more information on this.
Thank you,"

Customer service dept.
Fisher Research Laboratory

Looks like I got the ball rolling on this one. I told Fisher I could do it myself in less than a half-hour. I just hope I can get my detector back. I have emailed them 3 times now and received no response. Looks like this can get interesting. :rolleyes: