Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

1850 or older Stag Relic found - buckle or ???

Cal_Cobra

I found this on a detecting trip last weekend at a very remote California adobe site that was burned to the ground in 1851, so I would say it's no newer then 1850 as things were slow moving out here back then.

It looks to be cast, and the front has some nice hand engraved details on the deer as well as the oval flora fauna on the bottom. The back has three spikes, or prongs for it to attach to something, but what? It measures about 2.25" high x 1.75" wide.

I have no idea what it is, any ideas?

Deer2.jpg

Deer3.jpg

TIA,
Brian

Hi I think it's a wood motif. For a door or a beam, for example. Its three pivots are to hold. I have the letter from my door with that same system
senda

That's quite possible, also thinking it couldn't been a decorative motif for a sash buckle or such that was wooden and the piece was attached to the wood.

Pretty unusual thing to find considering the context of the location I found it at.

Thanks for looking!
Brian