Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

2 Silvers, 2 Rings, Dble sided Axe, and Silver Money Case!!!

BensJamming

Tobey and I headed out to try and beat the rain today and pulled 2 rings, our first half dollar, and some clad from the church and then the rain came rolling in so we headed in and made some lunch and took a closer look at the rings. The smaller looks to be copper inside and not sure what the outside is, and the big ring has what looks to be Arabic or indian writing all around the outside, and some some inside, but looks to plated, and some silver colored metal as the base metal. We have the acid test kits and it showed that the gold on the outside is about 14k.
Smaller Ring -

Larger Ring -

After lunch and the rain let up we decided to sneak back out for a bit and hit my parents yard again, which we nailed a 1917 Merc right off the bat, in the process got permission for the neighbors yard. So we headed over there and got a 61 Rosie, a gold plated Cross, and some clad. We also got another old heart shaped Carhartt button, but last carhartt button was round and said Carhartt O'alls and Gloves.

Wheats

Buttons -

Finally we thought we would take a walk across the street and check out the park. Didnt get much there at first. Got a .270 bullet not shot off yet, tons of junk, some clad, and our best find for the day came late in the day which is a GERMAN SILVER antique money case. Only writing on it says German SIlver and the both sides of the case are very ornately engraved! Would love to learn more about this piece and its time period. It was literally a foot down, and took a while to get this one out. We were and are still pumped about this one.

Forgot that we also got a double sided axe head as well from the park.
Thanks for looking and seeing what we found. Happy Hunting!

Ben and Tobey.

German silver does not have any silver in it, it is a copper and nickel alloy. The piece is probably 20s or 30s. You can google german silver and read all about it.

Thanks for the bad news. lol No I thought it may have not been real silver when I read the German silver without a purity mark, but was still exciting to pull that from the ground either way. Prob will just let him think its real silver since Id hate to crush his spirits right now. Although the 1917 dime he found he is still bragging about since its older then the 1926 coin which was my oldest previously.

Not totally understanding the silver acid test results we get yet so having a hard time actually telling whats silver and whats not. Some of the stuff we tried it one it still dissolved the metal streak on the stone, but the acid seems reddish itself so hard to see any color changes on the black stone. Anyone have any tips on how to see the test result easier or a better way to do it? Was thinking since its nothing super nice and would be melt or scrap anyhow to try applying the acid directly to the piece to have the silver background instead of the black stone.

Thanks again for looking and the info.

Thats a great days hunting and really cool case! Good on you to explore that big deep signal...:thumbup: Ashamed to say I would have figured it a buried can or some scrap and not have dug it!

I drop acid right on the jewelry piece...silver is easy to tell without acid, but some marked gold is fake, so a guy has to check it..some you can tell right away even by smell, magnets, etc...
Mud

Great finds!
I work part time in a pawn shop and I also have trouble reading acid tests on silver. Gold is easy for me, but seeing the scratch turn red on silver is tricky. Maybe it' s these old eyes I have. The young guys claim they can tell, but to me it all looks just about the same. Every once in a while I can see it, but not very often.

Thanks guys. Found out that thicker ring is from the Lord of the Rings edition Monoply game..... :rolleyes: ........ Oh well still a ring find. haha

Went out for a while yesterday since we knew some snow was coming this way and would be out for a couple days. Ended up with 3.78 in clad, a 1941 license plate, a brass ornate gas/oil lamp that had part of broken glass still in it, and 3 rings, all kids junk jewelry. Woke up to about 5 inches of snow on the ground this morning.... :cry: ....... so probably not gonna be able to get out for the next day or two. Give my back and shoulders a chance to catch up.

Happy hunting, and hope you all pull some good stuff up!

I was gonna make a joke about the "ONE RING" with the lettering on it and all...:laugh: thanks for the update!