Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

25" NF EMI PROBLEM

bruno

Hi i bought a brand new NF 25" mono for my 4500 and cannot use it in any place in FRANCE !!!! auto-tune fails ; minimum RX GAIN fails ...cancel make it useless ! i was thinking to use it for my bicycle....my buddys tells me to switch for a 18" or smaller !

thks for your help

ps: see what is waiting for me 30" deep...

If you are getting excessive interference with the 25" mono then an 18" will most probably be just as bad. There are two types of interference that cause problems with large coils, one is Mains interference which generally is closely associated with power lines (ones in the air hanging off poles but also buried power lines too) and the other, which is 9 times out of ten more problematic due to its ever changing distances from the source, is Sferics EMI. The problem is the power lines act like a massive collector (fence lines can also cause this) which then channels the Sferics down the lines channelling and concentrating it, especially during stormy seasons. You can tell the two types of EMI from each other by listening to the audio/threshold of the detector, power line/Mains interference is pulse like with a speeding up or slowing down pattern depending on the demand made on the line, whereas Sferics is all over the place and generally associated with the inclination of the coil as the coil is swept along (usually the threshold sounds reasonably stable when the coil is held stationary).

With Mains EMI the only way to get rid of it is to remove yourself from the immediate area of go to a dedicated DD coil and use Cancel mode which then comes at a depth reduction compared to traditional methods, performing an auto Tune will help somewhat then fine tuning with the manual control, with Sferics distance from the source helps a lot but the distances are greater and reduce slowly over quite large distances sometimes, best method is to also perform an auto tune then fine tune the manual control with the coil held parallel to the ground, when detecting try to swing the coil in a VERY controlled manner paying particular attention to keeping the coil as flat as possible. In both instances using the Quiet Audio filter in combination with low Gain levels(10 or less on a GPX 5000) will help a great deal with the instability.

Hope this helps

Jonathan Porter

Thks ! one more question !! is it possible to have same interference problems with very large DD's ?? i was thinking to try a 24" DD or maybe the last SEF 21X17 DD ...

rgds

Bruno

Yeah a DD can still get interference, not as much as the mono. Have you tried a different large coil in the same area to make sure its not just that particular coil that may have a problem?