Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

3x7 scorpion coil

moondog2000

When I bought my scorp I also ordered a 3x7 coil. I have never used it because when I get to the az goldfields I turn the scorp on and go and don't stop till its dark. Would this coil be considered a sniper coil? other than getting into tight spots what are the advantages of this coil, doing mostly prospecting I never discrimate I dig all targets so I am used to trash. My understanding is the smaller coil will detect smaller gold but I loose depth. I have started doing more coin & relic hunting so where would I use this coil to my advantage? Thank You

Yes....it would be an excellent choice for sniping AND be a little more sensitive to tiny nuggets that might not be picked up with the larger coil(s). There are a limited number of 8" crossfire coils built many years ago which unfortunately are not available today. Perhaps if there ever was a need to produce a bunch of them, Garrett might budge and build some more.

The 3x7 DD works good on small gold and you won't lose any depth as you have basically 21 aquare inches of coil . Just think, the 4.5 inch Sniper on the 250 gets seven inches plus and the 3x7 detects from heel to toe and covers more area.

Bill

Well if we can boost sales maybe they'll do that plus a little revamping. If they modernized it this puppy could be a top seller. It's about the most versatile tector they have and a real sleeper.

Bill

I'm gonna get one soon (3x7) just for sniping bedrock for gold nuggies. It should get in a little tighter than the 5x10. I have panned material 2 weeks ago that I ran the Scorpion over with the stock coil and got no signal. But after busting up some bedrock and panning it, out poped a nice litte Oregon nugget and fines that was definatly detecable but couldnt get the coil close enough to it, maybe due to the size of the coil size...

I can get .15 grammers in the field @ 2" with the Scorp, I think with the smaller coil they will be louder sounding and pop out more.

Alan

The 4.5" mono coil is more sensitive than the dd 3 x 7, maybe too sensitive which is why Garrett discontinued them for prospecting in rough mineralization.
The little concentric 4.5 is sure good for ore testing though.

PennyFinder

:garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett::garrett:

Yeah, that 3"x7" is great for workin' around rocky terrain(typical in gold country)where the 5"x10" can't work around. It is more sensitive to smaller nuggets and doesn't get the depth that the 5"x10" gets. I have that 4.5" Goldhunter, too. It's nice to have. Too bad Garrett stopped making them years ago.