Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

45 cents, a Coke can, two 7 year olds, and the Apex

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Across the street (from my property) is a wooded area that is probably 3-4 acres in size. For 30 years or so the local kids have used the property as a playground of sorts, so there are trails and bike paths meandering throughout the woods. Street-side there is about 12 feet of grass/weeds between the street itself and the woods: an area that guests use for parking when someone in the immediate area has a party (there are only 3 homes in the immediate area).

Over the years I have hunted the strip of grass/weeds on occasion; finding only trash and clad, with one exception - a plain (no stones) man’s gold ring.

It had been a couple of years since I last hunted the strip so I decided to try the Apex out on the 60 yards or so of the strip that is directly across from my property. I know the owner of that property and have permission to do as I want on the property - I also maintain it for the owner (mow the grass, etc..).

I hadn’t made more than a couple of swings with the Apex when my neighbor’s grandson showed up to investigate. Two minutes later his buddy (the other neighbor’s grandson) showed up to see what we were doing. The two decided that I was hunting for pirate’s treasure, and clearly needed their help.

So I now had two helpers and it wasn’t long before they suggested that one of them should use the pin-pointer and the other use the digger. They were beyond excited and quite sure that there was pirate treasure just waiting to be found. Most of the time it was impossible to swing the coil because one (or both) of the boys was in the path of my coil.

Caden (the boy using the pin-pointer) soon discovered that the pin-pointer would sound off if he just ran it along the ground. Naturally every target he discovered was buried pirate treasure, and both boys would insist that I then scan their find with the Apex.

This was now their hunt, and my time was spent scanning the various targets they discovered. Caden would find the target, then I’d scan it with the Apex, and Jaden (the boy using the digger) would dig it up.

We found nothing deeper that 2 inches and the find of the day depended upon which one of us was asked. The boys were absolutely thrilled to find a smashed Coke can 2 inches below the sandy soil - me, not so much. I figured the two boys would be excited about the coins we found, but for some reason they weren’t.

The final tally was 1 quarter, 1 dime, 1 nickel, and 5 zincolns - along with a smashed Coke can, several square tabs, a couple of aluminum bottle caps, some foil, and a nail (the boys thought the nail was cool).

I gave the coins to the boys and kept the trash for the garbage can.

My find of the day was the sheer glee that the boys showed when hunting for that elusive pirate’s treasure. I’m still not sure why pirates would travel 12 miles inland to bury their treasure next to a wooded lot, but the boys are convinced that it happened.

Who am I to say they’re wrong?

All in all it was a great hunt.

Jaden’s mother used to metal detect with me when she was a kid, so it’s kind of special (to me) that her son seems to be following that path.

The next time I see the two boys out I think I’ll grab the Compadre and watch them use it in their hunt for that elusive pirate’s treasure.

I have a great time detecting with my grandsons, I believe one of them is going to take to the hobby. I was at a school detecting a few years ago and I dug a target and about that time 2 kids that I didn’t know joined me. After I removed the target I put the plug back in and started to tap it down when one kid stuck his hand on top of it and I hit it. That caused me to panic a little, I looked at his hand and it didn’t break the skin. He assured me he was ok and that was the last hole I dug. I loaded up and left. Ever since, I get nervous when kids come very close.

I sometimes find it easier to take the time with kids than trying to work with adults. Since I’m still just a little kid at heart I can make up a story about what I’m doing and then turn it around into whats really happening. If you can keep the magic going in their heads without terribly lying to them then they seem to accept what your doing as “OK” rather damaging the environment.
In this current world you need to be a bit more aware of your surroundings, those kids could have easily been teenagers or young gang types bent on harming you or taking your possessions.