Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

7 Inch Concentric on Anfibio is producing on my heavily worked site.

professor-tones

I have been working out a productive field with over 1000 coins found so far. I have used the standard 11 inch coil and the 9 inch concentric. Finds were dwindling because i am picking the site clean of everything both good and bad. I am now using the 7 Inch concentric which is finding coins between crown caps and pull tabs. I am getting superb separation of coins from junk bits really well.

5" - 7" - 11" ... My favorite round-shaped search coils on Nokta / Makro devices. :thumbup:

The 5" round DD is a must-have for me to tackle the very dense, iron contaminated old sites I hunt most often. The 11" round DD that they introduced with the Anfibio has been a splendid performer in the more open and limited-target sites like pastures, fields and wide-open grassy parks. The one on my Simplex + is working great as well. But my favorite General-Purpose search coil for a Racer, Impact, Kruzer or Anfibio series models has got to be their round 7" Concentric coil. Balance, comfort and in-the-field performance is perhaps better than 'superb.' The only non-round coil I enjoy using is the open-frame 5X9½ DD that is also a favorite mid-size coil with above-average performance.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using the 7" Concentric more and more as time goes by working your Nokta / Makro detector. I can only hope that we'll soon see some accessory coils for the Simplex+ and that they will use their 5" and 7" coil housings. Welcome to the Findmall Forums, 'professor-tones' and keep up posted on your results afield.

Monte

I am about to purchase the 5 Inch Coil monte. I am not an expert on Coils but i wonder why Makro / Nokta did not make the 5 inch a concentric design. I can honestly say that the 7 inch concentric will
"unlock" those nickels AND other jewels that the bigger coils will struggle to give good ID on.

professor-tones,:
I am about to purchase the 5 Inch Coil monte. I am not an expert on Coils but i wonder why Makro / Nokta did not make the 5 inch a concentric design.

Search coils are an interesting topic all on their own. Size can be very important to accomplish handling different tasks, and the 5" coils from Nokta / Makro work great for getting in and around dense debris, and especially unmasking potentially good 'keepers' that are partially masked, especially by ferrous junk. So the size selection is very useful.

When it comes to the inner search coil configuration, either Concentric or Double-D, then other things come into play. One is the detector manufacturer and the design engineer. Does the manufacturer and/or engineer and/or anyone of importance actually get out metal detecting or are they just detector designers and makers? There's a difference right there regarding the influence behind the detector as a savvy detector operator knows more about the physical design and function of the two types of search coils, and can design a detector that will be able to work well and get the benefits either type might offer. Then you have other people "up-the-line" in some companies who don't look at the actual performance of the detector or even know or understand the differences in design, the EMF's, or the performance the two coil types might offer to know their strengths and weaknesses.

What they do know is numbers, and they look at a bottom line t make $$$ based simply on what they perceive when looking at the competition, and they ask for or instruct a design engineer to actually make a detector with a certain type search coil. Not just the type but also a size or shape coil, and they do it for one reason. They see what the competition is offering and try to match it. Then you can go one step more and actually have not just a sharp engineer who knows how to make stuff that works, but within the brand's system you have some sharp-minded people who actually read Forum discussions or e-mails and conversations and listen to consumers. Knowledgeable people in marketing who don't just look at the other companies, but look and listen to the end-users who have experience and know what they want and, for some applications, what they need. In time, they will hear what it is that the end consumers really want and ask for and do their best, because they are knowledgeable marketing folks, to enhance their product line and provide us, then end-users, with a mor functional array os search coils.

There is one other consideration and that is some makes and models of detectors, by design, just do not work all that well with a Concentric coil or with a Double-D coil from that detector manufacturer. Oh, there is one other thing and that is that in some search coils sizes, such as the very small coils we see in use, On design type can often provide all the functional performance deeded that might not be so different to favor one type over the other. As an example, when you look at the smaller-size coils, Tesoro offered both a 6" DD and Concentric, and with their circuitry design, the Concentric is the clear winner. Garrett offers a small 4½" coil, as did White's for some models, that was also about a 4½" diameter, and they chose a Concentric design, but the folks at FTP made the 5" DD's for most of their detectors for Fisher and Teknetics.

Could there be a major difference in performance between the DD's and Concentrics in that 4½ to 6' diameter size? Possibly, as we can see from the Tesoro detector performance, but for the most part I haven't seen a real pronounced advantage between one type over the other. I have noticed, however, a differences in how they worked based on how the detector's circuitry was designed. From Nokta and Makro products, having used both the 4.7X5.2 DD, which I named an 'OOR' coil for the slightly Out-Of-Round shape, and their round 5" DD to be exceptional in-the-field performers. After over 5 years of enjoying my favorite Nokta / Makro devices, I have been more than just satisfied with the performance from those two DD coils. I wouldn't even be interested in a 5" Concentric, and I happen to be a fan of many Concentric coils, too. But I don't think, in that size range, you would see any real advantage.

rofessor-tones,:
I can honestly say that the 7 inch concentric will "unlock" those nickels AND other jewels that the bigger coils will struggle to give good ID on.
[

I am in complete agreement regarding the 7" Concentric. When they worked up a 5" DD or the Impact to improve it's performance in a dense iron nail challenge, the quickly followed up by finishing a 7" Concentra coil which they brought out for the Impact as well as the Racer & Racer 2. They also made a really functional mid-sized Double D elliptical in the open-frame 5X9½, too. For me, depending upon the particular make and model and the sites generally hunted, I think either the round 7" Concentric or elliptical 5X9½ DD make just about excellent choices for a "General-Purpose" search coil. I hardly ever used the 7X11 DD or other coils in their line-up. It's just these two and either the 'OOR' or 5" DD to make a great 2-Coil or 3-Coil outfit.

I do, however, really like the newer round-shaped 11" DD introduced with the Anfibio, and for open-area searches it is the coil I prefer o9n my Simplex+. I just hope they will now make a 5" DD and 7" Concentric for the Simplex to round out a 'perfect' coil-set for it.

Monte

Have you found the 1000 coins?
Are they silver or clad?
No I have not found any silver at all on this field except a silver ring with another detector. I am not in the USA. I am a coin shooter and Metal Detector Test Pilot.
I have become a "human vacuum cleaner" of Coins & Rings from trash loaded fields.

Last edited:
I would like to see N/M make a cleansweep coil , like Tesoro and Whites made . 4" x 16" dd coil. To be used for covering a lot of ground, and picking up fresh dropped or recently dropped
treasures . It would be awesome in dry sand at the beach, or parks where the trash is minimal. I hope they consider making one.

I took my new anfibio out for the first time today. I put the 7" concentric on. I like trying a new detector with a small coil first, to keep from digging huge holes.
3 tone, isat at 0, 5khz, gain at 80. I only had an hour , but I hit the entrance to the ball field , a 10' x 20 ft area. I have pounded this area with the last 6 detectors,
using smaller coils. 4 more coins surfaced, with the eye opener a 5" deep copper penny . Deep for my orange colored soil infested with rocks. An inch away was a piece of aluminum. I was getting ID numbers, reading both targets. I also picked up a few coins within a foot of the chain link fence. This coil is one razor sharp unit. Its a keeper.

5" - 7" - 11" ... My favorite round-shaped search coils on Nokta / Makro devices. :thumbup:

The 5" round DD is a must-have for me to tackle the very dense, iron contaminated old sites I hunt most often. The 11" round DD that they introduced with the Anfibio has been a splendid performer in the more open and limited-target sites like pastures, fields and wide-open grassy parks. The one on my Simplex + is working great as well. But my favorite General-Purpose search coil for a Racer, Impact, Kruzer or Anfibio series models has got to be their round 7" Concentric coil. Balance, comfort and in-the-field performance is perhaps better than 'superb.' The only non-round coil I enjoy using is the open-frame 5X9½ DD that is also a favorite mid-size coil with above-average performance.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using the 7" Concentric more and more as time goes by working your Nokta / Makro detector. I can only hope that we'll soon see some accessory coils for the Simplex+ and that they will use their 5" and 7" coil housings. Welcome to the Findmall Forums, 'professor-tones' and keep up posted on your results afield.

Monte
Hey Monte, I remember you as a contributor on the Deus site. Was considering a Simplex for some water hunting but was wondering what you liked about the concentric coil. I know its deeper than a DD but isn"t that mainly for larger coils?(Sorry about your loss. My headphone and puck were recently stolen and that hassle enough) Paul

LTimedigger: said:
Hey Monte, I remember you as a contributor on the Deus site. Was considering a Simplex for some water hunting but was wondering what you liked about the concentric coil. I know its deeper than a DD but isn"t that mainly for larger coils?
Paul,

As I stated in an earlier post, search coils re an interesting topic, alone, and the you get to compare how similar coils do, or don't, perform on different makes and models based upon circuitry design. Yes, I am 'that' Monte who posted on the XP Deus Forum, and go by my name on the various Forums I contribute to.

The Simplex+, by the way, is a really impressive model and holds a welcome spot in my personal detector outfit. The standard round 11" DD coil works well, for what it is and where the area isn't too trashy or confining. I am hoping to see a smaller coil or two from them soon, and, if I had my pick, I'd enjoy a round 7" Concentric for general, day-to-day hunting, and a round 5" DD for working the heavily littered places.

As for which coils I like and why, when considering the Concentric and Double-D types, a lot depends upon the particular detector the coil is mounted to because, I have found, some detector designs work a little better with one type over the other. Or, in some cases, might work fine with both types, but for different applications and site challenges. You mentiond Depth of Detection between the two types, so let's start there. Detection Depth.

Since there are no absolutes that can be applied, I'll just say 'typically,' a Concentric and Double-D of same or very similar size would compare with an edge in Detection Depth favoring the Concentric type. That's if they are compared at the same time, same site, same conditions, and if the area is free of masking metal objects. Does search coil size matter? It might, a little bit, but a 7" is a 7" and an 11" is an 11" and both are going to deal with the same outside influences on the EMF, but the 'edge' typically favors a Concentric coil.

Other advantages of Concentric coils are these, if comparing similar-sized coils:

• More accurate visual Target ID, thus audio Tone ID also.
• Better Discrimination, especially when dealing with ferrous targets.
• Quicker, easier and more accurate Pin-Pointing, and that can make for faster target isolation and recovery.
• Handy target classification because they have a very uniform EMF all around the coil. You can stand in the same spot once a targets is located, then work a Concentric coil forward-and-backward to help check for a cleaner repetitive signal. Not so with a DD coil.

I've used Concentric coils since they have been around, and DD coils since 1971 so I have spent a lot of time with both types and comparing them, side-by-side, for decades. I like both types, as long as they work well on the detector I am using and the site environment I am tackling.

Monte

Last edited:
professor-tones,:
I am about to purchase the 5 Inch Coil monte. I am not an expert on Coils but i wonder why Makro / Nokta did not make the 5 inch a concentric design.

Search coils are an interesting topic all on their own. Size can be very important to accomplish handling different tasks, and the 5" coils from Nokta / Makro work great for getting in and around dense debris, and especially unmasking potentially good 'keepers' that are partially masked, especially by ferrous junk. So the size selection is very useful.

When it comes to the inner search coil configuration, either Concentric or Double-D, then other things come into play. One is the detector manufacturer and the design engineer. Does the manufacturer and/or engineer and/or anyone of importance actually get out metal detecting or are they just detector designers and makers? There's a difference right there regarding the influence behind the detector as a savvy detector operator knows more about the physical design and function of the two types of search coils, and can design a detector that will be able to work well and get the benefits either type might offer. Then you have other people "up-the-line" in some companies who don't look at the actual performance of the detector or even know or understand the differences in design, the EMF's, or the performance the two coil types might offer to know their strengths and weaknesses.

What they do know is numbers, and they look at a bottom line t make $$$ based simply on what they perceive when looking at the competition, and they ask for or instruct a design engineer to actually make a detector with a certain type search coil. Not just the type but also a size or shape coil, and they do it for one reason. They see what the competition is offering and try to match it. Then you can go one step more and actually have not just a sharp engineer who knows how to make stuff that works, but within the brand's system you have some sharp-minded people who actually read Forum discussions or e-mails and conversations and listen to consumers. Knowledgeable people in marketing who don't just look at the other companies, but look and listen to the end-users who have experience and know what they want and, for some applications, what they need. In time, they will hear what it is that the end consumers really want and ask for and do their best, because they are knowledgeable marketing folks, to enhance their product line and provide us, then end-users, with a mor functional array os search coils.

There is one other consideration and that is some makes and models of detectors, by design, just do not work all that well with a Concentric coil or with a Double-D coil from that detector manufacturer. Oh, there is one other thing and that is that in some search coils sizes, such as the very small coils we see in use, On design type can often provide all the functional performance deeded that might not be so different to favor one type over the other. As an example, when you look at the smaller-size coils, Tesoro offered both a 6" DD and Concentric, and with their circuitry design, the Concentric is the clear winner. Garrett offers a small 4½" coil, as did White's for some models, that was also about a 4½" diameter, and they chose a Concentric design, but the folks at FTP made the 5" DD's for most of their detectors for Fisher and Teknetics.

Could there be a major difference in performance between the DD's and Concentrics in that 4½ to 6' diameter size? Possibly, as we can see from the Tesoro detector performance, but for the most part I haven't seen a real pronounced advantage between one type over the other. I have noticed, however, a differences in how they worked based on how the detector's circuitry was designed. From Nokta and Makro products, having used both the 4.7X5.2 DD, which I named an 'OOR' coil for the slightly Out-Of-Round shape, and their round 5" DD to be exceptional in-the-field performers. After over 5 years of enjoying my favorite Nokta / Makro devices, I have been more than just satisfied with the performance from those two DD coils. I wouldn't even be interested in a 5" Concentric, and I happen to be a fan of many Concentric coils, too. But I don't think, in that size range, you would see any real advantage.

rofessor-tones,:
I can honestly say that the 7 inch concentric will "unlock" those nickels AND other jewels that the bigger coils will struggle to give good ID on.
[

I am in complete agreement regarding the 7" Concentric. When they worked up a 5" DD or the Impact to improve it's performance in a dense iron nail challenge, the quickly followed up by finishing a 7" Concentra coil which they brought out for the Impact as well as the Racer & Racer 2. They also made a really functional mid-sized Double D elliptical in the open-frame 5X9½, too. For me, depending upon the particular make and model and the sites generally hunted, I think either the round 7" Concentric or elliptical 5X9½ DD make just about excellent choices for a "General-Purpose" search coil. I hardly ever used the 7X11 DD or other coils in their line-up. It's just these two and either the 'OOR' or 5" DD to make a great 2-Coil or 3-Coil outfit.

I do, however, really like the newer round-shaped 11" DD introduced with the Anfibio, and for open-area searches it is the coil I prefer o9n my Simplex+. I just hope they will now make a 5" DD and 7" Concentric for the Simplex to round out a 'perfect' coil-set for it.

Monte
Great breakdown. I just ordered an Amfibio with options for the 5" concentric or the 5X9 DD. I chose the 5X9 because most of the hunt in my area (central Mississippi) involves old houses and park bleachers. I'm hoping the slim coil will give me a clearer picture in those cluttered areas. I have a few areas that require some climbing so my next quest is to find the perfect backpack for the Amfibio.

"fieldho:"
Great breakdown. I just ordered an Amfibio with options for the 5" concentric or the 5X9 DD. I chose the 5X9 because most of the hunt in my area (central Mississippi) involves old houses and park bleachers. I'm hoping the slim coil will give me a clearer picture in those cluttered areas. I have a few areas that require some climbing so my next quest is to find the perfect backpack for the Amfibio.

Unless they developed a new coil for the Anfibio, the 5" Is a Double-D type and not a Concentric. The smaller Concentric coil is the round 7" which works in my outfit as a "mid-sized" coil, as does the 5X9½ DD open-frame coil. Working around old house sites, barns and out-buildings, etc. as long as the trash density isn't too bad I use a mid-sized coil, be it the 5X9½ DD on my FORS CoRe or 7" Concentric on the Impact.

But when I am in a known dense trash locations like hunting close to bleachers, around a very littered picnic area, or perhaps an old house site that can have a lot of Iron Nails or other closely-associated metal debris, I either use my CoRe w/small 'OOR' DD or Relic w/5" DD. If I wanted, I'd put my 5" DD on my Impact, just as you could on an Anfibio. In very littered places the round 5"DD does have an 'edge' on the larger 5X9½ DD.

Monte

Thanks, great advise, I guess my next acquisition will be a 5"DD, ha. I've never had such a selection of choices for coils, I'm learning daily about the advantages. I guess the 9 X 5 (KR24) and the stock 11" will have to do for now. Of coarse the idea of syncing both the detector and the PP to the same wireless ears sounds so good. I might have to replace or upgrade my PP first. At any rate, I'm sure these coils will keep me busy this season and teach me just what this machine can do.