Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Badge in Two Chapters..

A

Anonymous

I got the outside part in 2002 and the inside last year. The 1st piece came in loud and clear in the dollar range and I thought I had a complete item. The center probably came in as a 22 shell the first time (there are 100's at this spot) so I would have ignored it. Matched up the solder marks a few days after finding the center. The outside garter is white enamel and the shield is the royal family coat of arms
GH Chris

Chris, is that not the same motto as on the "Order of the Garter"? I think it means " evil to he that thinks evil" or something like that.
I guess I gotta brush up on my Latin
Dean Owen
Whitby Ontario

Garter is supposed to be blue for the Order. The motto shows up on a lot of military items as well. Its on the King's 8th buttons from the War of 1812 and I think its even on the badge of a modern Canadian artillery unit.
The story behind the motto;
The reasons why the badge of the Order is a garter, and the significance of the motto are lost in antiquity. There are several romantic stories referring to a lady at court who dropped her garter (usually attributed to the Countess of Salisbury, future mother of King Richard II). The King is said to have picked up the garter, chivalrously exclaiming "Shame be to him who thinks evil of it."

Chris, from here that looks like the Royal Arms of Great Britain.
From the link below:
Shields on the Letters Patent:
The Sovereign, HM Queen Elizabeth II
Quarterly, 1st and 4th, gules three lions passant guardant in pale or; 2nd, or a lion rampart within a double tressure flory counterflory gules; 3rd, azure a harp or stringed argent, the whole enriched with the Garter.