Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A button? ID?

IowaRelic

Dug this in a spot where I have found a little of everything from CW bullets to modern shield pennies and can slaw. I can make out what might be Latin wording and a certain “1780”. Obviously, this would not date to 1780, maybe commemorative for something? I thought it might be a saw medallion but it appears to have been iron backed. It appears to be a double headed eagle or Phoenix with a shield, some branches, and the wording around the edge. Has a concave shape.
E8242E7D-1562-446F-AF36-213EAD107C11.jpeg
FBF2F28D-19C3-4D76-8668-F9A5B8FDCF18.png

49363CC1-4191-4F7F-AA97-A995F4039EBA.jpeg
C39917B1-EF89-4698-86CD-1895B96CDA26.jpeg

My partner found coat of arms from Russia to be similar design...if that helps. Doesn’t look like Russian words though...

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 8.15.28 PM.png

The button shows the imperial double-headed eagle with the arms of Austria at the centre, surrounded by four quarters representing Hungary, Bohemia, Burgundy and Burgau (Guenzburg). The inscription reads "ARCHID.AVST.DUX.BURG.CO.TYR.1780" and translates: "Archduchess of Austria, Duchess of Burgundy, Countess of Tyrol, 1780". The "X" next to the year, sometimes referred to as cross or saltire, indicates that the coin has been struck following the coinage convention of 1753.

Blazer button based on this coin:

Last edited: