Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A nickel I think

jarid

I can see the capitol dome on the back. I have never found such a corroded nickel usually the are red. This looks like silver. Maybe my first war nickel. Any ideas on cleaning it?

You might try electralases.. or how ever you spell it.

It looks more encrusted than corroded. You can definitely see a coin in the section that is broken away. Try soaking it in mineral oil for awhile, maybe the gunk will fall away.
Good luck.

soak in olive oil.

Probably a war nickle...

Did it hit higher than typical nickle, more like a penny? War nickles in my neck of the woods all look like that. Just get a piece of metal or a knife and scrape off area over dome to expose mint mark to check. No reason to worry about damaging coin. Nature already taken care of that! LOL!

Porschephile said:
Probably a war nickle...

Did it hit higher than typical nickle, more like a penny? War nickles in my neck of the woods all look like that. Just get a piece of metal or a knife and scrape off area over dome to expose mint mark to check. No reason to worry about damaging coin. Nature already taken care of that! LOL!

My thoughts too.

Thanks for all of the replies.It is a nickel for sure I can see that much.It hit at 12-38 not the typical 12-13. I am hoping that it is a war nickel that would be my first.

Nice job on your first silver nickel........I found a barber quarter coated on one side with heavy black stuff. I carefully used electrolysis and the stuff lifted right off after a few minutes.........HH

jarid said:
Can you explain how the process works?
And thanks for the comments.

Here is the site I that I got the info for doing the electrolosis. On pennies be careful, if the patina comes off during this process the penny will be very pitted. Small relics etc is primarily what I use this for. It did clean the Barber quarter nicely.

gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_coins.htm
go
metal
detecting.com/electroysis

(Note: Regular nickels will turn a pinkish color)