Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A question please....

Robert2300

I've noticed the PI machines do not have a depth
indicator. If VLF can have this feature what is it about
the PI that makes the feature impossible?
Robt2300

Good question....I can't answer it, however, the ATX does have modulated audio. Once you learn it well, you will guess the depth of coin size targets with fairly good accuracy. You also bring up another good point. With the next generation of PI's have TID options? And if so, what information can be configurated on a screen?

All vlf metal detectors that have a depthe readout do not actually measure depth. The readout is based on the signal strength from coin size objects laying flat in the ground and the resultant depth measurement is just a readout totaly dependant on signal strength. Strong signal shallow depth, weak signal, deep target but for coin size only.
Garrett have the only metal detector with a true target size and depth readout and even that can be way out on many occasions.
To get an accurate depth measurement you would need some form of doppler shift or radar measuring system and for basic hand held metal detectors that are limited to a few feet in target depth it is hardly worth the extral cost involved.
Just an opinion.

Thanks. I could not tell, from watching
the videos how strong the signals were, but it did
not appear the targets dug were very deep.
With the ATX can you actually HEAR a difference in the
strength of the signal? My Ace 350 just goes DING,
differeent tones for different targets but I don't
recollect hearing a difference in signal strength like I
did with my old MXT.
Robert

Robert,

I have a bout 35 hours on my ATX now and you can most certainly hear the difference in signal strength. The audio output is proportional to the signal strength and that is caused by the depth of the target, the size of the target or a combination of the two. All of the Garrett AT series of detectors have proportional audio. I do not think the ACE series has that type of audio response.

The ACE series And GTI Series do not have modulated audio, but instead amplify all the signal so they are equal in signal strength. It has some advantages also. The exception is the true all metal mode in the GTI 2500.

There was an article some years ago in Western and Eastern Treasures in Tech Talk about the depth indicated by most metal detectors. It mostly addressed air tests versus depth indicated on ground targets. It seems if a metal object has been in the ground some time, the metal leaches into the surrounding area ant presents a larger target to the MD, therefore a closer target reading for say a quarter underground. When you air test a quarter, the detector .reads it as a smaller target and indicates a truer depth or distance reading. I guess what I am saying is that depth readings are mostly incorrect depending upon leaching, mineralization and other factors. Sound volume is probably just as effective as meter readings on most objects. On the other hand, each machine reacts differently, even the same models. Then again, what do I know.