Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A "Reale" fake cob coin...

REVIER

I didn't really think for a second this 1630 Spanish Reale Cob was real being dug up here in Kansas in a pretty modern park and all, but it was a dead on quarter signal so quite a surprise when this thing popped up instead.
I have seen posts from a few others that found similar coins, sometimes in way better condition than mine and in areas where real ones could be found so a heart-breaker target under the right circumstances.
I could see the seam around the end, the front and back seem to be copper with probably a nickel coating and one side of mine has worn off so the copper is coming through.
One edge is open and it seems to be zinc or some other material in the core.
Funny thing is there is no word "copy" stamped on it anywhere which I believe is law on any novelty coins so this could have been a ripoff counterfeit fake made to make someone money.
Whatever...still cool and not the most common find so I will take it and display it.
Maybe one day I will be hunting in an area that real ones were lost and find a real complete one...who knows?

I found one almost three years ago in Albuquerque. Very good likeness. Guy at local coin shop had to weigh it to make sure.

It was a real heart-stopper coming out of the ground since reales would be very plausible finds for this area.