Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice on new unit choice?

Tagamet

Hi all,
I'm in the process of researching metal detectors after being away from the hobby for about 30 years. Things sure have changed! I live in central Penna in an area rich in historical value, (Native Americans, Timber camps, early settlers, PA canal system, etc.) I won't be "prospecting" for gold, but will want to search for pretty much everything else.
I'm coming into some retirement money, so can re-enter the hobby with an "upper end" machine (~$1000?).
Open question to anyone and everyone:
What MFG and model would you choose, given my situation? I have the time and motivation to work up a learning curve. The White DFX looks nice, but the technology has not changed in 4 years (I asked the mfg). Minelab's Explorer II and Quatro look neat, too. Garret machines seem to be very popular.
HELP PLEASE?
Larry

Being out of the hobby for 30 years do expect a learning period with a DFX or Explorer, while a CZ or Garrett is more user friendly. Most top of the line units and many midrange do a good job.
Might want to approach your local mult-line dealer or perhaps visit a local club meeting and see what the guys and gals are using as some areas one type works better...So many detectors so little time..and before you invest do some research and even hands on at your local dealer as we all have our favorites...

I am a recent retiree also and new to detecting. I looked long and hard before I settled for a Garrett GTI 2500. I found it to be versatile, fairly easy learn and quite accurate in the general type of detecting I do. I am satisfied I made the right choice for me. I quite honestly don't think there's a lot of difference between the ones in your price range as far as effectiveness. Some have a little longer learning curve than others but it all boils down to the operator's willigness and determination to learn to communicate with the machine. Having access to good places to detect doesn't hurt either. Although you think you mightjust want to coin shoot or search for artifacts right now, later you might want to do some saltwater beach hunting if you are close enough to the sea. Some detectors handle wet saltwater sand well while it causes problems in others. I have read on the forums that my 2500 doesn't like saltwater beaches, but I probably will never try it being landlocked as I am. Just some things to take into consideration. Do your research, read the forums and gain all the information you can before making your choice. Stick with one of the well known brands and I'm sure you will be pleased with your choice whatever it is. JIM

Thanks for the sage advice Jimleo. I too, am "landlocked" (though my wife like the shore).
I found a relatively local dirtfisherman with several years of experience "working" our area. He has several machines and steered me toward the Tesero Tejon. He even has TWO of them, so he has a backup! I'm really stoked, because the unit had to be ordered and I can pick it up tonight. WooHoo!
Here in central PA we have an incredibly rich history dating back to the settlers in the early 1700's. Of course, the native Americans preceded the settlers and I'm right in the midst of their main haunts too. The Old PA Canal runs through my town, timbering was huge, I could go on and on. I'm doing a ton of research every night and have already located some very promising sites.
Thanks again for the advice,
Larry