Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Advice on new unit please?

Tagamet

Hi all,
I'm in the process of researching metal detectors after being away from the hobby for about 30 years. Things sure have changed! I live in central Penna in an area rich in historical value, (Native Americans, Timber camps, early settlers, PA canal system, etc.) I won't be "prospecting" for gold, but will want to search for pretty much everything else.
I'm coming into some retirement money, so can re-enter the hobby with an "upper end" machine (~$1000?).
Open question to anyone and everyone:
What MFG and model would you choose, given my situation? I have the time and motivation to work up a learning curve. The White DFX looks nice, but the technology has not changed in 4 years (I asked the mfg). Minelab's Explorer II and Quatro look neat, too. Garret machines seem to be very popular.
HELP PLEASE?
Larry

hello tagmet, hi i was wondering how come you didnt mention fisher they have a great line of detectors the coin strike is a great choice and the cz-3d is also a upper end detector.i use the id-excel and absolutly love it. i was a whites fan but went snd tryed a different brand and i really liked the change.thanks happy hunting

Welcome back! It seems to me that while new technology can be great, we are too often quick to abandon older proven technology. I'm not talking about old, old stuff here, but the DFX is still one of the best there is. On the other hand, I've been using my Fisher CZ-5 lately and I still love it. You can't go wrong if you stay with major brands in the price range you are talking about. For me it would be the DFX.

Would look into perhaps a CZ or Coinstrike...I really feel a DFX or Explorer would be a long learning period to someone out of the hobby for years..CZ has proven technology in user friendly fashion and would be my choice, but the Coinstrike with a moderate learning period is also a good choice..A visit to your multi line dealer and a lot of reading is in order and all comes down to your choice...

(drumroll please) a Tesoro Tejon, mostly based on my reading and a friend's recommendation. I like the Tejon a LOT, but the need to train one's ear to tell what should be dug seems to physically exceed my aural discrimination abilities. I still like it for hunting coins, because it "sees" so darn deep. Long story short: I ended up keeping the Tejon, but also trying a Garrett 1500 and then trading *that* for a C$, which should arrive tomorrow. I'm definitely stoked about (hopefully) being able to use my modest hearing ability to signal the existence of targets, and using the visual numerical ID to help decide what to dig. At least that's the way I hope it works.
Thanks for the help,
Tagamet

Hello,
I am new to the MD hobby so you can take or leave my advise; however since June 2005 I have found 1 diamond ring, five or six pocket knives, one brass and copper bracelet, and 540 coins not to mention misc. antique hardware from old ice boxes .I have searched the beach, local parks and yard of my friends and neighbors.I own a Garrett GTP 1350 and I would not take $1500.00 for it if I could not replace it.
When I was 18 or 19 years old I MDed with an old WWII mine detector, things sure have changed in 40 years. Hope this info may have not added to the confusion.
Since I first wrote this post, I have purchased a ACE 250 and except for a few bells & whistles, It does almost as good a job as my 1350.
John D.

Its true that the learning curve on the explorer is long winded, and it took me quite a while to figure it all out but now that I have, I wouldn't trade it for anything, but take in all the info that you can andread the reviews and field tests and go for it. merry christmas!