Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Air Tests ????????

A

Anonymous

In Air Testing the Explorer on various coin samples. Can you expect the same depth and reaction to the coins, in the ground ?????????
How about if you change your settings with the Air test?????????? I understand that the Explorer Air tests well..........?????????
Thanks HH

The XS is a great air test machine but what happens to targets in the ground over time can affect both depth and ID'ability.
Depth wise, you won't hear a freshly buried Indian at 12"s but you will hear a 12" Indian that has been in the ground for 80 years. That's because of the halo effect it gains while it's molecules slowly leach in to the area surrounding it.
ID'ing wise, there are many reasons why differences occur. One reason can be how a coin or target is oriented to other targets or junk. Another is how the target -a coin in particular- is sitting, is it on edge. Also, the halo of a target can affect the ID, I have seen a large cent and a half dollar read a (30) in Digital when in the ground, but after pulling them out and rechecking on the surface they both read (2:geek: in Digital.
I think the XS is about the best for air testing but obviously it's not prefect.
GL/HH
By The Way, Thanks for that tip on pointing the coil towards the strongest noise level and then hitting Auto-Noise Cancel.

Is to place the target on the ground at the site you are hunting, do a noise cancel and see how far you can lift the coil and still hear the target. this is also a good way both to hear and see how to move the coil to get max depth. you will notice that with a slow sweep back and forth and the target disappears, that a quick wiggle of the coil will get you a few more inches, exactly the way you should try and work up a deep iffy one you hear in the ground.. Settings can affect the air test depth depending on ground conditions a manual lowere sens may get deeper than higher, as well as auto, this especially holds true where there are negative hot rocks, and iron mineralized rock. Not sure where you are in NY but we got quite a variety of ground here, from neutral to very high mineralization, from the sound of your other post it might not even be air interference your getting. you might be in an area with the high iron mineralized rock if your getting sputtering high tones in a null.. if thats the case keep it in manual and ruin around 18-20 and try and ignore the sputtering, it will still lock on to the good stuff....Jim

Jim, The learning curve has not been very good to me(as you may know). Thats the reason for all the basic questions !!!! OK, I agree that the soil composition is different all over the country. My basic question is: How do you know what the soil composition is ???? And how do you compensate for it (with the Explorer)??????? I think your other post answered my question fo Detecting here. I think I have "Hot Rocks" in an area I am trying to detect and now do not believe it is interference. If you went to a different part of the country How do you compensate for the ground conditions????????? Thanks HH