Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Am I doing something wrong ?

bill7975

I bought Eureka Gold but still nothing. Last few weekends I was out in Rye Patch in Nevada and spent a total of 19 hours with my detector in the field. The question or problem I'm having is I don't know what sound the detector makes when it's found gold. I do how ever have the junk metal sound down to a science. Can anyone give me a few pointers or maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong. Any information will be gratefully accepted. Oh one last thing if anyone lives in the Reno area and is into prospecting I

If you are finding junk metal then you are doing most things right. Rye Patch is not a great place to start with VLF machine like the Eureka but you can still find some there with it if you persist. Here's what you need to do...

Get a sliver of lead, or a BB, or something about that size that is non-ferrous. Glue it to a poker chip or piece of cardboard so you won't loose it. Then bury it about 3 inches deep out there in the field. Go over and over it lots of times from different angles, playing with the controls until you have the best response you can get out of the machine. Memorize that sound. Now, go hunting...SLOWLY...listening for that same sound. In particular, out there, stick that loop under and all around the sagebrush. Dig everything that sounds like what you memorized; and then some that don't. About every half hour, rebury that test target to refresh your memory. Try it at different depths and in different colored soil.

Sooner or later, one of those sounds will be a nugget and not trash.

Digger Bob

Also, make sure you are hunting in the right places. Rye Patch is a big place and not all areas have gold. Over on Nuggetshooter.com Reno Chris has posted some really good info along with maps of the best places to try. Drop him a line and see if he will repost it here.

Digger Bob

Hi Bill, first, let me say that the Eureka Gold WILL find gold out there. Last Oct. a friend of mine found over 100 pieces, in the Rye Patch area, with his.

Now, the place to hunt is the area from the outhouse down to the burn barrel area. Hunt between the road and the gully to the north of the barrel. That area is the crumb patch. One of them at least.

I am located in Carson City, and have been all over that area. There are several people in Carson that go up there often.

My question for you is, have you ever found any gold with a detector? There are a number of ways to shorten the learning curve, but if you are a novice then 19 hours is just a good start. Lots of people hunt for hundreds of hours and a year or more until they find there first piece.

My wife has hunted seriously for several years now, and has found about 400 nuggets. She has yet to find her first Nevada nugget, and we have been here for 15 months. She has hunted Placerites, Pamlico, Rye Patch, Slaters, and other locations. Nevada is a tough place to hunt. She will find her first Nevada gold, and so will you. Just be patient.

Goldbug Ron

Hi Ron. Well I'm not sure where the barrel is or the out house but I'm all ears. Also If you go out there again let me know Becky & I would like that. Like I said we just moved here and don't know all that many people.

Bill

Hi Ron. Well I'm not sure where the barrel is or the outhouse but I'm all ears. Also if you go out there again let me know Becky & I would like to join y'all. Like I said we just moved here and don't know all that many people. Opps forgot to mention this is my first metal detector and no gold yet except for junk. The manual that came with it doesn't tell you much.

Bill

Hay GoldBug Ron, Try Brunswick canyon.Along the carson river was some good gold and BLM too, mid 80's. Glad to see ya didn't turn into a popsicle during that lovely CC winter. George is working like mad and its HOT and HUMID here, we set another heat record for July up here in Redding,the sweaty armpit of the great san juaquin valley,in kalif-land of the 4th Reichmeir.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

THAT MUST BE IN THE GOLD BASIN......IF YA DONT PICK UP GOLD EVERYDAY IN OZ YA NOT TRYING HARD ENEOUGH AND FISHING FOR SALMON

JH

Hey Bill;

I went to AZ for 3 years for 2 weeks at a time and hunted hard every day putting in long hours and then finally in the 4th year I got my 1st AZ nugget, and now ther come a whole lot easier.If you have all the junk for your efforts then it is just a matter of time. Those little buggers are just getting alot harder to find but they are still out there. I still haven't found anything at Rye Patch.
Allen in MTY

Hey Bill;

I went to AZ for 3 years for 2 weeks at a time and hunted hard every day putting in long hours and then finally in the 4th year I got my 1st AZ nugget, and now ther come a whole lot easier.If you have all the junk for your efforts then it is just a matter of time. Those little buggers are just getting alot harder to find but they are still out there. I still haven't found anything at Rye Patch.
This was my last AZ find by an open cut on the side of a hill and there were many more hours spent looking for more nut nothing.There were quartz seams about this thickness in the cut walls but no more gold.
Allen in MT

Wow thats really cool I can't wait to find one. Thanks for the pictures they keep me going knowing it's only a matter of time.

Bill

You must be doing it tough over there Doc if it take a full weeks work (40hrs) to find a single piece of gold.
Imagine if you found 4 in a day. It would mean that a full month of hard slog for absolutely nothing is coming up soon to bite you!

Hey Doc. How about keeping the subject line short and the body of the message in the box provided?
It is a real bugger trying to respond to these threads. Thanks mate.
Cheers.