Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Am I missing coins?

Knipper

When hunting with the SE Pro, I usually use Bryce's settings to start, and then tweak as conditions dictate. I mostly use the smart find screen so I can watch what the cursor is doing. Often, once I've pinpointed a target, I switch to the numbers screen, just to get a feel for the readings should I want to remember where a particular coins reads out. But more than occasionally, I get readings where the conductive side of the pair reads a definite coin ( 26-29), but the ferrous side of the reading might be in the teens, or much higher than an "air" test would read. I.E., on my machine, a silver quarter will read 00-29. Some of the readings I've walked away from might read 11-29 or 14-29. It just occured to me that I might be leaving some good stuff in the ground just because the ferrous reading was higher than I thought it should be. So I'm asking, if I get a good repeatable hit, with a higher than perfect ferrous reading to go along with a nice high conductive reading, what are the chances its a coin with some addtional junk in the hole? If I never looked at the numbers, I'd probably end up digging a lot of those hits, but I'm curious what others have found through their experiences.

Thanks!
Knipper

I dig anything that sounds good or looks good that hits at 90 degree angles when swept. I have found a lot of silver with 11-29 or 12-29 numbers. If it sounds good dig it.

I've been plagued by those same doubts, Terry, going back to when I first got my Explorer. My good finds dropped waaaay off [previous detectors were Whites Classic III and 6000 Di Pro] as I struggled with target averaging and those nails that sound like a million bucks and not digging when it was iffy. With my other detectors I dug a lot of trash but I also dug a lot of neat stuff that wasn't coins but I never would have dug with the Explorer. So saying, my finds were less than stellar at first. If you're not sure. Dig. It's the only way to find out. You'd be surprised how a coin next to a nail will produce a clipped but good response if you work it slow. I've started to find the stuff left by the guys who passed up on that iffy-one-way signals. I liked the Whites but I never had a dirt ring so far up my arm as I did after getting the Ex. Best of luck with your hunts.

Cheers
Tom

before detectors got weighed down by bells and whistles, the school of thought was:`Dig any repeatable signal`and `when in doubt-dig it out`...If you go by those rules youll leave little behind.....

Your missing coins because your digging numbers and not good sounding targets. Coins will come in at different numbers based on soil conditions and other items near them Diff coils can read and show diff numbers. anytime time you get a DECENT repeatable signal in the coin RANGE dig it and your problem is solved. Don't need a genius answer for this one! ;0

What about the terrible sounding ones in the coin range. I found 2 Walking Liberty halfs with the sovereign that sounded really bad.

That coin did not cause the shitty signal.. some other metal had to interfere with the coins signal!!! Thats why I HIGHLIGHTED "DECENT".. at times and more often than not I dig the repeatable bad signals outside of the iron range. It nice to find an artifact that has diff combined metals in it.. Like an old bunch of car keys that sound like shit! If I see 0808 I know damn well it's a pull tab only and wont dig it but if its a 0812 I'll dig it. Have a good earth magnet with you. when you dig a shitty singnal like you dig..experiment. after you flip the plug over on a shitty signal PUSH the magnet iin the dirt and scrape it throughout out the hole...sides and bottom as you would a pin pionter then scrape it thru the plug..see what you get then pinpoint the hole and plug.. you will find some amazing scenarios and items that you are glad you have and a coin whose signal was distorted. The machine is only human... experience is bliss! If in question..DIG IT! ;)

there was nothing else in the area to cause the bad signal and there's no need for vulgar language in you replies.