Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

And yet another new Fisher detector to add to the arsenal!

REVIER

I blame ohiogal for this...she started it.

So like I really needed another detector.
Couldn't resist the deal, $299 for the unit, a 10" elliptical concentric coil, a 4" hockey puck concentric coil, free shipping and the usual " value deal" garbage like a composite digger, padded carry bag, gloves, some Chinese headphones where the specs actually aren't that bad, one month free Eastern and Western Treasure digital download and a free invitation to join Ringfinders...like I would ever pay monthly to join a service like that.
Got a head cover, just because, and an F5 Sharpshooter coil to boot because I see how well it works around here mounted on my F70.

So you ask why did I order this thing seeing as I already have an F2, Compadre, Mojave, F70 and a Nox 800?
I have a few, I think, logical reasons so hear me out.

A previously $500 Fisher with one coil that I got for $300 and two coils both of which I love and have hundreds of hours experience using on my two other Fishers.

A new unit to play with that is a brand I love and understand so well.
Been two years since I got the Nox and combating boredom to stay interested is important to me.

A very similar set of control features that I have tons of experience using thanks to so many hours using and experimenting with my F70.
Like separate thresh and gain control, a high tone nickel option, a single and dual tone option and 5 years and hours upon hours messing around with combinations of all of these things trying to unlock the mysteries of my very challenging, mineralized, red clay, massive iron and trash infested southern devil dirt.

Knobs...don't ever discount the tactile feeling and pure joy of turning knobs.

Its reputation for finding jewelry thanks to Yoda and guru Mike Hillis and others...supposedly has close to Compadre like ability for this task and in my scoured and totally hunted out parks I still manage to find some gold and silver jewelry here and there but nowhere near what I think I deserve, selfish and deluded as I am.
Also coins, I hear it's not so bad about finding coins, either.

The biggest reason is...It's the frequency, Kenneth.
I will expound...

7.8 on the F5 vs the 13.5 on the F70, the 12 on the two Tesoros and even the single frequencies and Multi on the Nox.
The Nox is great, single frequencies are useless in my dirt but the multi works well regarding depth and especially combating masking iron...and I have so much iron.
Still, I have the feeling I might be missing a couple of things here and there since no detector can find it all so adding just one more jewelry arrow to my quiver makes sense to me.
And despite what the Nox is able to do and find for me that compressed target region it has just drives me crazy and I will never enjoy hunting with it near as much as my other full range detectors.
You get used to what you get used to and enjoy what you enjoy so there is that.
The finding treasure part of the hobby is great and I have done more than just well but the part about just enjoying my time on hunts and messing around and experimenting with all kinds of settings I think I enjoy even more.

The two Tesoros work great here, especially the Mojave although in some sites they can also become a little skittish, (I gave up my Vaquero a few years ago to trade for the Mojave because that thing liked all this iron I have to deal with a little too much), but again neither one can find everything here.

My F70 works better than I ever thought possible here, depth is surprising, it's unmasking abilities usually shock me but it took many, many months and tons of hours experimenting with settings and different coils to achieve success with it to this level.
The language and behavior I learned to do all of this, despite being very odd, still has "tells", but it is usually so jumpy on most but especially the difficult very masked targets that friends I have hunted with looked at my screen and listened to the tones while I moved the coil over targets and have no earthly idea how I can do this and make any sense of what they saw on the screen and heard in the tones.
When they ask how I can find anything around here shallow or deep after seeing how I use this thing I just tell them the old Carnegie Hall chestnut....practice, practice, practice.
So much easier out west, the F70 was a lot more calm and stable and here it became a lot more schizophrenic but to do what you gotta do and just learn to deal.

Then there is my beloved very simple F2...5.9kHz.
Packed it away when I got the F70 on Thanksgiving day in 2013 and haven't used it since but I remember what it could do both out west in great dirt and even here in my problem crazy dirt.
That thing could find a huge amount of coins in any site, silver like a boss and gold like it was a religion.
Please don't tell me how low frequencies find silver better and high frequencies find gold easier because to me that was never true.
I have found so much silver with all my detectors, so much with my higher freak units and a ton with the F2 but when it comes to gold that F2 could really shine.
I have found more three dozen pieces of gold jewelry in the dirt in the last 10 years mostly in parks considered totally hunted out and spread among all my detectors except the Mojave because I don't pull that thing out so much but add them up and in only 3 years using my low freak F2 it found more than half of them...more than my Nox, Vaq, Compadre and F70 combined.
More than that in my challenging dirt I have here the F2 could never get super deep but I still was able to pull out a shocking volume of coins and other targets in sites I have since revisited with all my other higher freak detectors and didn't seem to do as well.
I still did ok, the Nox and F70 especially have found a few targets so masked the F2 could not see them on its best day around here but as far as the shear volume of targets it could notice and lock onto so well in my dirt the F2 just seemed amazing.
More importantly it did it all with a stability level and tiny VDI range over targets my F70, and even the Nox actually can't exactly match...here.
It did this well in Kansas and Missouri soil but surprisingly it could do it here in the mineralized south, too.
I quit digging tons of trash and junk long ago, it really got to me after awhile, so I switched to using what I call my high performance method where I usually only dig the most solid of solid targets using all my detectors.
Found tons of coins, so much silver and most of my gold after changing to this method so don't worry about me missing a lot because I have found way more than my share of treasure despite being so picky, but mostly this is due to the fact that I make a huge effort to learn each tool so much better and deeper than just well.
Not saying or suggesting anyone else should do it this way but for me it works.
I still dig trash, can't avoid all of it because some still hits as a solid signal, but in time I eventually cut out about 80-85% of the the junk and trashy targets I acquired and I got pretty darn fast and efficient doing it this way, too.

So to recap...
I find stuff using all my detectors, back out west it was way easier and here not as much but here I am still considered successful by most measures.
All my detectors were stable in normal dirt in Kansas and here not so much but I still figured it out to a pretty good extent to be successful.
I got a Nox to help me here, out west I wouldn't have even considered it, didn't need it, but here it does make things a bit easier.
The Nox hits on most nickels solid like crazy, pretty decent stability over many other targets but still jumps around more than I would like but I deal with it, using it I again dig a little more trash than I would like but still it finds stuff so that's ok.
I like finding stuff with the Nox but that compression isn't super enjoyable to me.
The F2 was stable in great soil but it was also surprisingly stable here in my red hell iron infested mess although never very deep.
The F5 has more power than the F2, a set of features I understand and could possibly use to my advantage as I have learned to do with the F70, I have a decent compliment of coils that could help in all that, AND THAT LOWER FREQUENCY which at this point I am just guessing but I suspect might have had something to do with why it was so stable out west but also more stable here than my other detectors seem to be.
I sure hope it works out that way, anyway, but we will see.

A super powered F2 with more stability than my F70 and yet still having more than enough depth and more importantly a very helpful set of control features that I understand and just might be able to use to my advantage to succeed to even higher levels...or at least the next level in my evolution.
Basically coins are great but this thing is going to be aimed specifically at, and for, jewelry.
I got a nice selection of coils to do it too, the two concentrics will be used, the Sharpshooter should excel if my experience with the F70 and that coil in my dirt is any indication, and I even have a large Cors Cannon coil designed to work on the F70 but I think it will fit in the F5 and who knows what it will do and how deep it will go if it does...mismatched frequency notwithstanding.
Sure will be fun trying it out, anyway.
Hopefully this thing will make my sites come alive again, even if just a little bit I will be happy and no matter what I sure will enjoy swinging and learning a new heater.

THAT'S why I decided to get this thing, what is life if you can't enjoy yourself while living it and as always...
FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD!
It should be here on thursday...then the fun begins.
For now, however, I wait.

HH

Last edited:
Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it after some time. I still use the omega 8000 from time to time. I really use the T2 and GoldBugPro, (well lately the Time Ranger Pro) a lot more.
The T2 gets silver just as well, has way more depth when not cranked up, and has much faster recovery IMO compared to the omega. Just overall more stable.
The 19khz machines are much much better to me in iron. And they are absolutely the most emi resistant detector I’ve ever used. It’s hard to find a place where you can’t run a g2,f19,goldbugpro,or a time ranger pro totally wide open. I never have to reduce sensitivity.
One thing I find interesting about the frequencies is that the lower kHz machines just love lead and gold as well as silver. The higher kHz machines really get the tiny lead and deep lead as well as silver. My 2 best silver finds have occurred in 19khz on the kruzer.

See what happens when ya let a girl in the clubhouse? Just costing us 💰!!!! Lol. Used my F5 for seven years and still do but I haven't set down a trail to follow to see how the 5 compares to the 75 on each target. Not really sure which one would be better on gold jewelry etc etc. Once we finally get rain (none since Aug2 and heavy smoke covers our area since Saturday) then thats on my list to do.

I think you will enjoy the F5 Revier.

HH
Mike

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it after some time. I still use the omega 8000 from time to time. I really use the T2 and GoldBugPro, (well lately the Time Ranger Pro) a lot more.
The T2 gets silver just as well, has way more depth when not cranked up, and has much faster recovery IMO compared to the omega. Just overall more stable.
The 19khz machines are much much better to me in iron. And they are absolutely the most emi resistant detector I’ve ever used. It’s hard to find a place where you can’t run a g2,f19,goldbugpro,or a time ranger pro totally wide open. I never have to reduce sensitivity.
One thing I find interesting about the frequencies is that the lower kHz machines just love lead and gold as well as silver. The higher kHz machines really get the tiny lead and deep lead as well as silver. My 2 best silver finds have occurred in 19khz on the kruzer.

Thanks.
In EMI problem sites I just learned to handle it in different ways, all detectors were slightly different but I usually found a way to deal with it and still found stuff.
On iron I usually knocked it out on my F2 and Tesoros, using the F70 and the Nox I got used to letting it all in till it didn't bother me and still found stuff.
I have owned and used the 5.9 F2, the 12 Tesoros, the 13.5 F70, the 14 Vaquero, the 4-40 Nox and even an arm breaking Compass Judge 2 at like 100kHz or something crazy like that.
They all worked and they all found stuff.
Never used one at this frequency and never in my dirt or any dirt so curious more than anything.
It could love it here or it could hate it.
I'm hoping it loves it.

Either way rest assured I will talk about it but bragging about it would be the best case scenario.

See what happens when ya let a girl in the clubhouse? Just costing us 💰!!!! Lol. Used my F5 for seven years and still do but I haven't set down a trail to follow to see how the 5 compares to the 75 on each target. Not really sure which one would be better on gold jewelry etc etc. Once we finally get rain (none since Aug2 and heavy smoke covers our area since Saturday) then thats on my list to do.

Relax, I have found tons of silver and gold with all frequencies listed above...except the Compass.
Gotta be the Hulk to swing that for long hunts.
I guarantee you the F75 can find everything better than well because it's the same as my F70 and I never had trouble finding anything with that one good dirt or bad.
I got this one because I am hoping it deals with my crazy dirt as good as the F2, maybe better than my F70, and if it can I will be golden.
If I can learn to deal with the dirt in an efficient and easy way the good targets will come.
They will have no choice.

I think you will enjoy the F5 Revier.

HH
Mike

After reading everything you have posted about it and all that you have found with it for over 10 years when it dropped to $299 I just had no choice but to get one, being the manic Fisher fan and jewelry hunter that I am.
So basically I will either blame you or praise you as the Fisher/jewelry god that you are....depending on how things go. LOL!
I am sure it will go swimmingly.
I will dedicate all my silver and gold finds for the rest of the year, if I find any, to you.
If you want to see them if you ask my wife in a nice way I am sure she will be happy to show you.
For some reason I can barely get into the house with that stuff before it magically disappears.

I blame ohiogal for this...she started it.

So like I really needed another detector.
Couldn't resist the deal, $299 for the unit, a 10" elliptical concentric coil, a 4" hockey puck concentric coil, free shipping and the usual " value deal" garbage like a composite digger, padded carry bag, gloves, some Chinese headphones where the specs actually aren't that bad, one month free Eastern and Western Treasure digital download and a free invitation to join Ringfinders...like I would ever pay monthly to join a service like that.
Got a head cover, just because, and an F5 Sharpshooter coil to boot because I see how well it works around here mounted on my F70.

So you ask why did I order this thing seeing as I already have an F2, Compadre, Mojave, F70 and a Nox 800?
I have a few, I think, logical reasons so hear me out.

A previously $500 Fisher with one coil that I got for $300 and two coils both of which I love and have hundreds of hours experience using on my two other Fishers.

A new unit to play with that is a brand I love and understand so well.
Been two years since I got the Nox and combating boredom to stay interested is important to me.

A very similar set of control features that I have tons of experience using thanks to so many hours using and experimenting with my F70.
Like separate thresh and gain control, a high tone nickel option, a single and dual tone option and 5 years and hours upon hours messing around with combinations of all of these things trying to unlock the mysteries of my very challenging, mineralized, red clay, massive iron and trash infested southern devil dirt.

Knobs...don't ever discount the tactile feeling and pure joy of turning knobs.

Its reputation for finding jewelry thanks to Yoda and guru Mike Hillis and others...supposedly has close to Compadre like ability for this task and in my scoured and totally hunted out parks I still manage to find some gold and silver jewelry here and there but nowhere near what I think I deserve, selfish and deluded as I am.
Also coins, I hear it's not so bad about finding coins, either.

The biggest reason is...It's the frequency, Kenneth.
I will expound...

7.8 on the F5 vs the 13.5 on the F70, the 12 on the two Tesoros and even the single frequencies and Multi on the Nox.
The Nox is great, single frequencies are useless in my dirt but the multi works well regarding depth and especially combating masking iron...and I have so much iron.
Still, I have the feeling I might be missing a couple of things here and there since no detector can find it all so adding just one more jewelry arrow to my quiver makes sense to me.
And despite what the Nox is able to do and find for me that compressed target region it has just drives me crazy and I will never enjoy hunting with it near as much as my other full range detectors.
You get used to what you get used to and enjoy what you enjoy so there is that.
The finding treasure part of the hobby is great and I have done more than just well but the part about just enjoying my time on hunts and messing around and experimenting with all kinds of settings I think I enjoy even more.

The two Tesoros work great here, especially the Mojave although in some sites they can also become a little skittish, (I gave up my Vaquero a few years ago to trade for the Mojave because that thing liked all this iron I have to deal with a little too much), but again neither one can find everything here.

My F70 works better than I ever thought possible here, depth is surprising, it's unmasking abilities usually shock me but it took many, many months and tons of hours experimenting with settings and different coils to achieve success with it to this level.
The language and behavior I learned to do all of this, despite being very odd, still has "tells", but it is usually so jumpy on most but especially the difficult very masked targets that friends I have hunted with looked at my screen and listened to the tones while I moved the coil over targets and have no earthly idea how I can do this and make any sense of what they saw on the screen and heard in the tones.
When they ask how I can find anything around here shallow or deep after seeing how I use this thing I just tell them the old Carnegie Hall chestnut....practice, practice, practice.
So much easier out west, the F70 was a lot more calm and stable and here it became a lot more schizophrenic but to do what you gotta do and just learn to deal.

Then there is my beloved very simple F2...5.9kHz.
Packed it away when I got the F70 on Thanksgiving day in 2013 and haven't used it since but I remember what it could do both out west in great dirt and even here in my problem crazy dirt.
That thing could find a huge amount of coins in any site, silver like a boss and gold like it was a religion.
Please don't tell me how low frequencies find silver better and high frequencies find gold easier because to me that was never true.
I have found so much silver with all my detectors, so much with my higher freak units and a ton with the F2 but when it comes to gold that F2 could really shine.
I have found more three dozen pieces of gold jewelry in the dirt in the last 10 years mostly in parks considered totally hunted out and spread among all my detectors except the Mojave because I don't pull that thing out so much but add them up and in only 3 years using my low freak F2 it found more than half of them...more than my Nox, Vaq, Compadre and F70 combined.
More than that in my challenging dirt I have here the F2 could never get super deep but I still was able to pull out a shocking volume of coins and other targets in sites I have since revisited with all my other higher freak detectors and didn't seem to do as well.
I still did ok, the Nox and F70 especially have found a few targets so masked the F2 could not see them on its best day around here but as far as the shear volume of targets it could notice and lock onto so well in my dirt the F2 just seemed amazing.
More importantly it did it all with a stability level and tiny VDI range over targets my F70, and even the Nox actually can't exactly match...here.
It did this well in Kansas and Missouri soil but surprisingly it could do it here in the mineralized south, too.
I quit digging tons of trash and junk long ago, it really got to me after awhile, so I switched to using what I call my high performance method where I usually only dig the most solid of solid targets using all my detectors.
Found tons of coins, so much silver and most of my gold after changing to this method so don't worry about me missing a lot because I have found way more than my share of treasure despite being so picky, but mostly this is due to the fact that I make a huge effort to learn each tool so much better and deeper than just well.
Not saying or suggesting anyone else should do it this way but for me it works.
I still dig trash, can't avoid all of it because some still hits as a solid signal, but in time I eventually cut out about 80-85% of the the junk and trashy targets I acquired and I got pretty darn fast and efficient doing it this way, too.

So to recap...
I find stuff using all my detectors, back out west it was way easier and here not as much but here I am still considered successful by most measures.
All my detectors were stable in normal dirt in Kansas and here not so much but I still figured it out to a pretty good extent to be successful.
I got a Nox to help me here, out west I wouldn't have even considered it, didn't need it, but here it does make things a bit easier.
The Nox hits on most nickels solid like crazy, pretty decent stability over many other targets but still jumps around more than I would like but I deal with it, using it I again dig a little more trash than I would like but still it finds stuff so that's ok.
I like finding stuff with the Nox but that compression isn't super enjoyable to me.
The F2 was stable in great soil but it was also surprisingly stable here in my red hell iron infested mess although never very deep.
The F5 has more power than the F2, a set of features I understand and could possibly use to my advantage as I have learned to do with the F70, I have a decent compliment of coils that could help in all that, AND THAT LOWER FREQUENCY which at this point I am just guessing but I suspect might have had something to do with why it was so stable out west but also more stable here than my other detectors seem to be.
I sure hope it works out that way, anyway, but we will see.

A super powered F2 with more stability than my F70 and yet still having more than enough depth and more importantly a very helpful set of control features that I understand and just might be able to use to my advantage to succeed to even higher levels...or at least the next level in my evolution.
Basically coins are great but this thing is going to be aimed specifically at, and for, jewelry.
I got a nice selection of coils to do it too, the two concentrics will be used, the Sharpshooter should excel if my experience with the F70 and that coil in my dirt is any indication, and I even have a large Cors Cannon coil designed to work on the F70 but I think it will fit in the F5 and who knows what it will do and how deep it will go if it does...mismatched frequency notwithstanding.
Sure will be fun trying it out, anyway.
Hopefully this thing will make my sites come alive again, even if just a little bit I will be happy and no matter what I sure will enjoy swinging and learning a new heater.

THAT'S why I decided to get this thing, what is life if you can't enjoy yourself while living it and as always...
FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD!
It should be here on thursday...then the fun begins.
For now, however, I wait.

HH
Enjoy it! I do. Glad they still had them.

It's got the most informative and best looking display of any detector I have ever used. I loved those analog controls as well. No delving into menus. I also liked how the threshold control would dictate how chirpy/dynamic or quiet I wanted the detector to be.
An F2 on steroids perhaps ?

Enjoy it! I do. Glad they still had them.

Thanks. I am sure I will, I have thoroughly enjoyed my other two Fishers.
Sometimes you just easily learn to understand and click with a certain brand and I definitely have with my Fishers.
In over ten years in this hobby I have found many thousands of dollars worth of clad, other old coins, silver and gold jewelry and a ton of other neat things.
Those two found the bulk of it.
I am sure this one will pull its weight and be another joyful and satisfying experience.

Adding this I will now own three Fisher units, probably enough for anybody.
Then again that F19 does look interesting.
I think I am a sick man.

It's got the most informative and best looking display of any detector I have ever used. I loved those analog controls as well. No delving into menus. I also liked how the threshold control would dictate how chirpy/dynamic or quiet I wanted the detector to be.
An F2 on steroids perhaps ?

All kinds of neat stuff sitting on that screen, handy to find at a glance.
Ground phase, confidence meter, target type icons and more.
Knowing me I probably won't notice or use any of it after I GB the thing
I have never used target icons on any other detector I have ever owned, (except my first, a most hated Pioneer EX), and I usually gain more confidence and accuracy in my own ability to determine target types before I dig after some experience, much more than anything it is likely to tell me.
The tones and the VDI numbers are all I am ever interested in...how the tone sounds, how the numbers behave, stable, jumpy or whatever.
Maybe the depth meter if it is as accurate as my F70 one is, if not no biggie...I'll deal.

Last edited:
The 19 kHz machines are a must have for me. They calmly go places other machines won’t. They do good in mineral and are the best they offer in iron. And best of all, if you don’t want to feel bad about buying one, get the Time Ranger Pro for 399. Feather lite and identical to the f19 except the 11x7 is the stock coil instead of the 10x5DD. Which is excellent. I can never get rid of them. With a 12x13 cors strike I can hunt around massive power lines and get the stuff no one else can. And deep too. If I had to keep only one FT machine it would be a 19khz. And that’s saying something because I REALLY LOVE the t2 also.

Revier, congrats on your F5 purchase, I'm sure with your experience you'll get maximum use out of it
Depth reading on my F5 is astonishingly accurate . Another great feature I use a lot is fading audio, I can tell more about depth listening to the tone than actually looking at the depth meter.

Revier, congrats on your F5 purchase, I'm sure with your experience you'll get maximum use out of it
Depth reading on my F5 is astonishingly accurate . Another great feature I use a lot is fading audio, I can tell more about depth listening to the tone than actually looking at the depth meter.

Thanks man, late to the game vs so many others with this this thing but I will catch up.
Read a lot of the F5 bible while I was waiting for it, pretty cool shortcut instructions to set it up one way for jewelry hunting and another way for deeper coin hunting.
Very familiar gain and thresh control ability, curious to see if some of my outside the box and yet still very productive settings I use on the F70 will transfer over and work on the F5, too.
Got it later in the day so I assembled it with the Nel Sharpshooter and just went out in my front lawn and swung it around for a few minutes.
Not too bad handling the EMI I always get close to my house, tried all the D tone options and they all sounded pretty smooth but I was using the supplied headphones and those are not so great so they will be packed away...I got better.
Ground balanced in the 60's, typical around here, nice to be able to manual GB on a Fisher, my F2 has none and the F70 is only auto.
Love the knobs, something about turning knobs with click-stops seems so satisfying, none of my Tesoros have that.
Tomorrow morning early it should be cool and I am heading to my local park to an area that might have some jewelry and where I have been a million times to play with it and see if I can find just a couple more decent targets.
I think I I am going to enjoy learning and swinging this thing...after all, it's a Fisher so what's not to love?

The 19 kHz machines are a must have for me. They calmly go places other machines won’t. They do good in mineral and are the best they offer in iron. And best of all, if you don’t want to feel bad about buying one, get the Time Ranger Pro for 399. Feather lite and identical to the f19 except the 11x7 is the stock coil instead of the 10x5DD. Which is excellent. I can never get rid of them. With a 12x13 cors strike I can hunt around massive power lines and get the stuff no one else can. And deep too. If I had to keep only one FT machine it would be a 19khz. And that’s saying something because I REALLY LOVE the t2 also.

Never swung a 19kHz, I suspect a the lower one will still do a bit better around here but maybe one day I can compare.
A guy I know out in AZ. that got an F70 and did pretty well, we talked a lot in email and messages while I helped him get over the initial learning curve.
As much as he liked it he got a deal on an F19 one day and with that one he really clicked...it became his baby, couldn't praise it enough.
Everyone is different so nice that there are so many different brands and detectors and I especially love that there are so many different Fishers and FTP products, if we are really lucky we might find that one true soul mate we can really enjoy above all others.
One detector for everybody would probably be boring, I would suspect.

Last edited:
Mike can you give me any tips on the settings and the G.B. on the f-5,I have the big coil on the f-5.Thanks cjm45

Hi CJM...
Ground balancing larger coils can sometimes be a pain since they see so much dirt. You basically have to ground cancel at the height you will be sweeping your coil. Don't pump too fast, about a second up and down....you need to stay in sync with the ground phase display. When the number stabilizes you are done. Takes about 4 pumps most of the time if you are in sync. If you pump too fast it can a little longer. If you want to get a dead nuts on perfect ground balance, the Fisher F5 is one of the very few detectors that will actually let you get a dead nuts perfect ground balance in any ground minerals, .just switch over to all metal and manually tune it in.

Set up for what you are hunting for....if you want high sensitivity, set up Threshold first and adjust Gain for stability. If you want high power (depth) setup Gain first and set Threshold for stability.

You guys are making want to get another one.

Good luck. .
HH
Mike

Hi CJM...
Ground balancing larger coils can sometimes be a pain since they see so much dirt. You basically have to ground cancel at the height you will be sweeping your coil. Don't pump too fast, about a second up and down....you need to stay in sync with the ground phase display. When the number stabilizes you are done. Takes about 4 pumps most of the time if you are in sync. If you pump too fast it can a little longer. If you want to get a dead nuts on perfect ground balance, the Fisher F5 is one of the very few detectors that will actually let you get a dead nuts perfect ground balance in any ground minerals, .just switch over to all metal and manually tune it in.

Set up for what you are hunting for....if you want high sensitivity, set up Threshold first and adjust Gain for stability. If you want high power (depth) setup Gain first and set Threshold for stability.

You guys are making want to get another one.

Good luck. .
HH
Mike

You are pretty much correct, I had my first outing with it this morning.
My dirt is unusually bad, it can change every 10 feet and it wasn't easy to get to a real stable number and I GB'd several times in different areas on this hunt.
Eventually when I got it to stay on numbers that I knew to be normal when using the F70 I just left it alone and it still did well.
More than well, actually, it was surprisingly quiet and stable, seemed almost, if not just as deep as, my F70 or Nox with maybe better ID's on a few deeper ones than the F70 and acted over most trash with jumping behavior I am very familiar with while locking onto good targets like a laser.
I am thoroughly impressed!
I think it's gonna do exactly what I hoped it would do but that was after only about 3 hours.
I am going to put away my F70 and Nox for now and just explore this one for awhile.
If today's experience is any indication of what's to come I am expecting big things in the future...but we'll see.
Hard to believe you can get this thing that seems so capable with 2 coils for only $299...now.

I am taking a break and will write up my first impressions, pros and cons, in a bit.

Last edited: