Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another day ... Another ghost town hunt.

Monte

It's 3:38 AM and I woke up early to check my mailbox and get ready to head out and meet up with Oregon Gregg at an old town he's concentrated on for the past two years as of the 15th of this month. I've worked it a bit myself but only on a once-in-a-while basis as it's a several hour drive for me. I prefer the older and more heavily-used RR ghost towns, but this is in an affordable reach. Just hoping the ground cover has gone away from my last visit. March was nearly perfect condition, but one month later it was a bed of short, dense growth. It's been a month and a half now so I am hoping the drought weather has helped deplete it some.

Can't get back to sleep, even though I need it, just thinking about what success we might have today. All my ghost town favorite detectors are equipped with smaller coils, and to be sure my Makro Racer R1 has the always-mounted 'www' coil ready for service in trashier spots. But if it is open enough, I'd like to work my FORS CoRe with the stock 7X11 DD mounted because it's performance in more open areas is very impressive.

I'm excited and ready-to-go, the detectors are set with ample battery strength, and all I need to acquire is a decent camera to get photos of my finds. I hope all readers have a site or two ready to be hunted and I wish you all the best of success.

Monte

n/t

Hey Monte,

Don't forget to tell us how deep your coins were...LOL...:argue:

I know you laugh at us in the east when we worry about depth, but heck, it is what it really is.

Have a good hunt.

J in FL (aka Tom/Dick/Harry)

Oh, it can get hot, such as what we are heading into this week, but it's dry, with a low humidity, and USUALLY not too many bugs to deal with. You're holding off until "favorable" relic hunting weather in November, but "Out West" we have to deal with freezing conditions by then, in some places in some years, and hot, blistering sun in the middle of summer. When I was younger, healthier and felt invincible, I often worked some desert ghost towns day-long in the middle of summer.

Those days are long since past, but I can still enjoy what time I can devote, and when it gets too hot, night hunting is the way-to-go. I've been night-hunting such places for about thirty years during very hot times, and often, in milder-weather winters, I can still get in some detecting time in my favorite relic hunting sites. Glad I am not banished from having fun due to weather, bugs and critters. I wish you could have come on over Nevada way last month and join us on some serious relic hunting as that might have been enough enjoyment to help last you for a few more months. Might have been a good taste of a different level of trash to deal with, and definitely fine examples of why avid searchers of such sites depend on smaller-size search coils. ;)

JinFL said:
Hey Monte,

Don't forget to tell us how deep your coins were...LOL...:argue:
Well, we worked this ghost town in March and it was virtually ideal conditions with a lot of open dirt that was very easy digging. I was able to "toe scuff" most of my targets, just like I have a good 75% of the time in all of the old town sites, homesteads, pioneer and military encampments, and other such places I hunt when the ground is loose and workable. That's because the bulk of the coins, trade tokens and 'keeper' artifacts are generally in the upper three-to-four inches. Usually there is no disturbance or ground change to displace them.

In March I nabbed a 1900 Indian Head 1¢ [size=small](at 1½")[/size] and a 1909 Barber 10¢ [size=small](that was 'toe-scuffed' at ½" to 1")[/size], as well as a Trade Token [size=small](from almost 3" deep)[/size]. Another trip in April and it had a little bit of short, weedy vegetation and the ground was tougher to work in and not loose and manageable. We were both skunked on that visit.

On Thursday we both got toasted. We couldn't hunt the more open plowed field area because there was ample rain in April and May and the vegetation was too dense and too tall. Thus, my FORS CoRe & 7X11 DD took a break on the back seat. A lot of the open area where some businesses, hotel and houses used to be was also rather overgrown and that hampered our success. The bulk of my hunting was done with my Racer w/the small 'OOR' coil, and Gregg used his Racer's with either the 'OOR' coil, or occasionally the 5½X10 enclosed DD.

On the travel to get to the ghost town I made a stop to buy an old-time favorite detector, only to find out he had two favorite models to sell, both in 10-out-of-10 condition, too! These are old favorites that have provided me the some of the best success in the many ghost towns an d other old sites I've hunted in most western states so ..... I kind of had to mount my favorite SMALL coil on one and use it for a while. It was coincidental, but that was the unit I had in-hand when I found the two trade tokens in the top of the photo below. One was 'toe-scuffed' at about ½" and the other required my Lesche Digger to break up the hard, compacted dirt and pry it out at about 1½".

I used my Racer and 'OOR' coil to find a few small artifacts, but that day the pickin's of interesting small targets was pretty dismal. Gregg's token and pennies were also in the upper 3", I'm sure, and the Barber dime he spotted on top of the ground. That happens more often than people might think. You can check out the posters on my Relic & Old Site Forum who made the ghost town trek to hunt three of them in Nevada, the two oldest dating to 1868 and 1869, and see how deep their coins, tokens, Chinese Cash coins, and neat small artifacts were found. I can assure you, that while I do find deeper targets at times, most of them aren't because there is usually not much reason for them to get deep in the first place.

JinFL said:
I know you laugh at us in the east when we worry about depth, but heck, it is what it really is.
I know, and I don't doubt you or the others who are avid detectorists and have learned that in some instances, desired targets have been buried beneath erosion or a lot of fallen leaves and other vegetation, and we can't forget plowing and other forms of activity. I've been in touch with quite a few Relic Hunters from the East and South East since the latter '70s and we've had plenty of discussions regarding "depth of detection" with regard to coins, tokens and buttons on up to larger-size artifacts.

I've found some deep targets myself, but ... for me and most of the sites I hunt, depth isn't the issue as much as being able to deal with very abundant trash, both ferrous and non-ferrous.

JinFL said:
Have a good hunt.

J in FL (aka Tom/Dick/Harry)
We did, considering the amount of newer vegetation, the hard ground, the hot day we had. We are working on a plan for September to go camp out close by a few old town sites in September and try to put in 3-to-5 days of detecting. If you are getting bored awaiting November's arrival, you're welcome to come on out and join us. and bring the detectors and coils you think you'll feel most comfortable with. Maybe you can have a good hunt, too?

Monte

OregonGregg got a Trade Token, 2 early date Wheat-backs and an 189? Barber dime, and I found two Trade Tokens, a couple of buttons and a small jewelry item. One type token I had never found at this site before. The formerly open area I wanted to work with the FORS CoRe & 7X11 DD was well overgrown and unhuntable. I just used my smaller coil detectors [size=small](Racer w/'OOR' DD and a Tesoro w/6" Concentric)[/size] to work what available trashier sites I could manage. I guess the late April and early May rain they got did its job, at least so far as sprouting that annoying weedy brush. :rant:

We are working on one or two more ghost town trips this year, with one likely being another 4 day jaunt in September. Between now and then I hope to just stumble across an inviting site in my travels.

Best of success to you in your journeys afield.

Monte

Monte the "Racer" forum was too quite so I had to see what our Nokta brothern was up to :detecting:

Nice job on the trade tokens :thumbup: Trade tokens are almost more desirable finds at ghost towns then coins, although coins are certainly welcome finds as well.

hh,
Brian

any detector that provides great performance in very littered sites can sure be a pleasure to use when out ghost towning.

The trade tokens I found came from a small ghost town in Oregon that was a good 12 miles distant from the RR line, when it finally came through about 1906 or so, and lacked a lot of high-traffic activity. By "high-traffic activity" I refer not only to a lot of RR associated service and repair that left trash, but often those towns could have been a more active repair center, or had turnstiles and other structures that were associated with the RR.

On top of that, the railroad brought a welcome form of transportation for many localities and that meant they were shipping and freighting points. Cattle as well as dry goods, so even though some of the towns had a relatively smaller population, the 'transient' population was more active, such as hotels, stage line contacts for the trains, freighting contacts and warehousing, and so forth. It is a fun town to hunt, and has produced well for the past two years, as of this weekend, for OregonGregg, but it lacks the amount of trash as well as amount of older-coin potential as many of the old RR ghost towns that date to, and had ample activity, back in the 1860's and 1870's.

That brings me to an invite if you, or any reader, would like to travel a bit in September and join us on a four-day/three-town ghost town hunt in Nevada. The Racer with the small 'OOR' coil or 5½X10 DD coil would be good picks, or the Nokta FORS CoRe with the small 'OOR' coil. We will have the open invitation outing on the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th of September, and base our gathering out of Montello, Nevada. OregonGregg and I have already reserved our rooms at the little Pilot Motel in town, and folks are also welcome to camp-out near by [size=small](at one of the town sites)[/size].

If interested, shoot me an e-mail.

Monte