Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Equinox Counter weight

dblue

I machined a threaded insert for the shaft and machined a couple threaded inserts for a length of carbon fiber for an extension. I machined a weight out of solid aluminum round bar and bored out the inside to add weight and machined a threaded cap for the end of the weight and powder coated it black. I added 22oz. of lead shot inside the weight, it balanced the EQINOX 800 with the stock coil almost perfect...it definitely makes it better to hunt with now.....

Attachments

• IMG_3247.jpg
    IMG_3247.jpg
    838.1 KB · Views: 260
I machined a threaded insert for the shaft and machined a couple threaded inserts for a length of carbon fiber for an extension. I machined a weight out of solid aluminum round bar and bored out the inside to add weight and machined a threaded cap for the end of the weight and powder coated it black. I added 22oz. of lead shot inside the weight, it balanced the EQINOX 800 with the stock coil almost perfect...it definitely makes it better to hunt with now.....
I like it plenty, good job.
I don’t have that equipment so I only added a few sinkers I found using plastic ties.
I do need to add more, I am no where near 22oz
Tony

Thanks for the replies....I used to make and sell carbon fiber target archery stabilizers for indoor target shooting...that's where I came up with the idea for the adjustable weights. I have thought about replacing the factory rods with carbon fiber but the weight of the rods is not the problem, it's the balance of the detector that will cause fatigue after a few hours of detecting. I hunted with it a couple days ago after installing the counter weight and after 9 hours of hunting...it didn't bother me at all.

Thanks for the replies....I used to make and sell carbon fiber target archery stabilizers for indoor target shooting...that's where I came up with the idea for the adjustable weights. I have thought about replacing the factory rods with carbon fiber but the weight of the rods is not the problem, it's the balance of the detector that will cause fatigue after a few hours of detecting. I hunted with it a couple days ago after installing the counter weight and after 9 hours of hunting...it didn't bother me at all.
Dblue, so you have the parts and machine tools, that’s great and it does look professional!
Tony

Dblue, so you have the parts and machine tools, that’s great and it does look professional!
Tony
Thanks very much.....I have a small shop here at my home, I have two metal lathes and two milling machines etc...After getting out of the archery stuff, I got into shooting .22 rimfire bench rest rifle competitions and that lead me into building custom .22 bench rest rifles...I was building rifles for a few years until those guys wore me out...what started out as a hobby turned into a full time job and I already had a full time job...lol ...it took all the fun out of it. So, I finished up all the rifles I had at the time and quit shooting bench rest competitions and got out of building rifles...I just recently retired and now I just do what I want.....LOL All my friends told me I was going to be bored when I retired....not true.....after 40 years in the plumbing trade, which kept me in good health...I'll never get bored...Being a new member of the "Everyday Is Saturday Club" I'll always find something to keep me busy...LOL

Thanks very much.....I have a small shop here at my home, I have two metal lathes and two milling machines etc...After getting out of the archery stuff, I got into shooting .22 rimfire bench rest rifle competitions and that lead me into building custom .22 bench rest rifles...I was building rifles for a few years until those guys wore me out...what started out as a hobby turned into a full time job and I already had a full time job...lol ...it took all the fun out of it. So, I finished up all the rifles I had at the time and quit shooting bench rest competitions and got out of building rifles...I just recently retired and now I just do what I want.....LOL All my friends told me I was going to be bored when I retired....not true.....after 40 years in the plumbing trade, which kept me in good health...I'll never get bored...Being a new member of the "Everyday Is Saturday Club" I'll always find something to keep me busy...LOL
Dblue, your expierance has kept you sharp!
I’m in the same boat and there is always something to do - been retired a few years.
Tony

Way to go! I always had a desire to be a machinist. Love to watch guys make things out of a block of metal. Too late now. Guys, turn your dreams into reality. Old age will grab you.