Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Question on Xterra 50 Ground Balance and VDI

Ralph Bryant

Has anyone done any experimenting with the X-50 as far as skewing the GB either to the high side (positive) or the low side (negative) to determine if it makes any noticeable difference in the VDI numbers ? Just curious.

Ralph

The one thing about the X-Terra 50's GB is that it is different from any detector I've used before. The XP Gold Maxx, from France, worked rather well in many sites I hunted with it, and it had a simple GB adjustment. You bobbed the coil and adjusted the knob until you just silenced the ground. This is similar to using a modified IDX Pro or Classic III in the Disc. mode, or Tesoro's Eldorado and other similar makes. If you have a too-negative GB you hear it when you bob the coil towards and away from the ground and if you adjust the GB while bobbing in the Disc. mode (aka Power Balancing as I've referred to it for years) you can get to the point where you're just positive enough for the Disc. mode to ignore ground signal.

With a conventional VLF, such as my Shadow X5, you try and balance in the All Metal mode for as close to perfect balance as you can and then make sure it is ample to be functional in the Disc. mode.

With many manually ground balanced models you will be able to sort of fine-tune them a little, depending upon the coarseness of the GB controlled circuitry. The X-Terra 50 is a bit different and the numeric-referenced GB 'segments' do not provide for 'fine tuning' the unit. With either X-Terra model it is very important to make sure you maintain a uniform coin-to-ground relationship on your side-to-side sweeps, especially as the mineralization level increases. And radical coil lift or bobbing, especially at higher sensitivity settings in 'bad ground' environments will produce some falsing.

Friday I hunted a site with the X-Terra 30 and had very little problem if I maintained oil position, even at a full sensitivity setting of '10'. This was mellower ground for around here and the X-Terra 50 balanced at about #5. The X-Terra 30's GB is factory preset at an equivalent #6