Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody know how to manual GB a Compass AU 52

colt

Hi folks

The other day I was bought a used Compass AU 52, it looks brand new and I have been real impressed with its performance. It works great in the trash-out mode it hits every coin in my test garden and can hit silver coins that have rusty nails laying on top of them.

The problem I am having is doing a manual ground balance in the all metal mode, this little beast is driving me nuts. I have the manual and have read it many times but I must be doing something wrong, because it squeels like a pig under a gate when I pump the coil. Any help would be appreciated.

colt

:fisher::detecting:Try pressing the pin point button in, hold it in and bob the coil up and down rotating the ground balance nob slowly until it balances or gos neutral on sound. Bob the coil up and down from about 2" to 8" off the ground. After it is balanced let off the pin point button and go hunting. You can probably put the unit in all metal mode and bob the coil the same way either method should work try both. Also make sure you balance in a metal free area.

Good luck,

Bill G

Thanks Bill

I think my problem was that I would start out ok by raising the coil 12" off the ground, hit the ALL METAL button, ground balance, then hit the ALL METAL button, which now I realize would start the process all over again.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but once you ground balance you don't need to hit the ALL METAL button a second time.

colt

:twodetecting: Try starting out in all metal before you raise the coil, after balanced you can switch between all metal and discriminate mode. The advice I gave is general advice for detectors that have a manual GB. If the machine is in disk or discriminate mode you use the pin point method mentioned to go to all metal mode during ground balance procedure. > If set in all metal mode start the bobing process mentioned. Once the detector is balanced you should be able to switch between discriminate mode and all metal mode without having to rebalance. But remember to occasionally recheck ground balance as you hunt because the ground can change as you hunt or if you change the sensitivity it is a good idea to rebalance the detector.

Good Luck,

Bill G

Thanks for the advice Bill

I took the 52 to a park this evening along with some change and a 15 grain nugget, set it up in all metal mode using the preset markings and did the manual ground balance with no problem. One thing that I like about all metal is that it will not track the target out. In all metal with manual ground balance I got a clear signal on the nugget at about 6" and about 4 1/2" in disc mode.

What really blew me away was while in the disc mode, I could lay a nail on the ground, disc the nail out, lay it on top of the nugget and the 52 would still pick up the nugget. Same thing on the coins only more depth. I am going to take it to some old mining camps this weekend for a real test.

Colt