Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone ever use a Land Star?

Maria, I have had a lot of other detectors over this summer, because by reading other posts on the forums, i thought i might be missing something with my landstar. nothing could be further from the truth. i am finding out that there is a lot of bias when it comes to detectors. my landstar held its own and more against most of the detectors. of course , it was what i started out with, so operator experience probably has a lot to do with it. my suggestion, and it is only that, is that you don't let a lot of hype about expensive detectors cloud your thinking like it did me this past year. i only know the landstar works great in my highly mineralized soil here in eastern ky. i have found old coins, jewelry and relics with mine, and i guess i am comfortable with it. the 4 inch coil works wonders on the landstar. i also use the 10 inch coil when relic hunting.
the manual ground balance means a lot when relic hunting especially . i am still going to try a few more detectors, because in a way its fun. good luck with whatever you decide to swing. Tim

My land Star should be arriving tommorow by FedEx from California...It will be a used unit, but it looked like it was in good condition...We shall see...I wiill make a post here when I have taken it out and tried it in the field....

Catch ya in a bit,,,

Got the LandStar today, and went out for about an hour with it...Also bench tested it, and so far, I find it very acurate on it's discrimination...It finds items in an air test to 10" with the 8.5" coil...it also separates nickles from Pull Tabs...Something my 505 would not do. All in all, so far I am VERY satisfied with it.

Here are some of my recent finds with my LandStar:

LastScan.jpg

Not bad for a newbie....lol

Happy Hunting,

Hello everybody,
I've been using a Land Star for about a year now. A couple of caveats I noticed over time:
1. A rusty nail at about 9-12 inches will hit HARD as a silver dime with no jumping.
2. A lot of modern clad coins may ID from 1c Zinc to 1c copper or dime. I started digging up all zinc hits, with about 20% being modern clad coins other than zinc pennies.
3. Mine sometimes picks up ghost silver hits when at the top of my sweep to the right. Never happens to the left (weird...)
4. The Nickel identifier is usually pretty accurate. This is a big plus for the LS. Although about 10% of the time it will be a square aluminum pop top.
5. The volume will diminish as the batteries get weak, but not show a "Low Battery" indicator until half volume with regular batteries. Rechargables do not do this, but I get the Low Battery indicator more often.
6. The best setting I found for all metal mode ground balance is Pre Set. I also use the Ground Trac a lot. Hitting the All Metal button a little off the suspected target usually minimizes the amount of times I have to hit the Ground Trac button. Once I get a good pinpoint location, I hit the Disc button to get another ID reading and depth. Often times, the target ID will change after pinpointing the target.
7. The depth indicator is usually right-on for coins, but can be way off for the different shapes that foil comes in. I use a coin probe grind from a dollar store long screw driver to "feel" the target. The probe will go right through foil or a can.
8. A small ball of foil can also read as a hard hit for a Dime ID.
9. Gold can act like foil or trash and jump all over the ID. The gold I have found has been on the surface where I can see it.

That's it for now. Happy hunting!

[quote tbird]the gold ring i found with mine locked on pulltab and did not jump. thanks for your review.[/quote]

Yep, a ring will usually show up as a pull tab. I apologize. I was thinking of a gold cross I recently recovered from a school yard. Shape and size has a lot to do with how any MD makes an ID.

no apology needed Romeo7, as i have been at this for years on and off and know that targets can sometimes be unpredictable. hh

I love my Land Star except for one thing....When the batteries are getting low, I get a LOT of ghost dime hits...This is how I know when to change the batts before the low bat led lights. Gold can be really tough...especially in the areas like I hunt here in NY....I have a lot of trash in the parks and on the beaches (NYers are total pigs). After a day of digging pull tabs and screw caps, you kinda become reluctant to dig any more when the LandStar hits on these (But one gold ring is worth digging 100 pull tabs).

Happy Hunting,