Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

anyone have comments on the FBS 800 coil?

sgoss66

Everyone...

I'm planning to eventually get a small coil for my SE...and have been thinking SunRay x-5, 6x8 SEF, or EXcelerator EQ2 Pro. Anyone have any thoughts on the Minelab 8" coil? How does it stack up and is it a decent alternative to the three I mentioned?

Steve

Do a search on past posts.----Those coils have been much discussed several times.-----Also pull up Bryces field tests on them, they are VERY thorough & well written.

Hey Del --

I read Bryce's coil field test post that is a sticky on this forum, and I did not see the FBS 800 coil reviewed; I also tried a search on "FBS 800" and it said "no results are found..." :shrug:

Not sure how to find past posts, or any field test that Bryce did, since what I am trying did not work...

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve-----Maybe Bryce didn't do a field test on that individual coil (FBS 800) but I know he (and others) have talked about that coil in the past.-----Perhaps Bryce will "chime in" here & give you his expert opinion on it.-------I'll give you my comment/opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. :)-----The Minelab FBS 800 is actually a 7 3/4" coil and I'm not certain but Minelab MAY have dis-continued production on that coil.---If you are interested in that size coil (8 inch)---I would choose the Sunray X-8 (hands down).----It's a little "pricey" but well worth the money IMO.---My wife & I have two X-8's for our Etracs and love 'em.-----Read Bryces field test report on the X-8 and you will see why he and a lot of us really like that coil (for a mid-size coil).-----------Regards, Del

The Minelab 7.5 is a really good coil...and it can usually be found at a good price as well.

For me though...the Sunray X-8 performed just a little better for me here in my IL soil.

Thanks all for the info.

I wasn't specifically looking for an 8" coil -- though I really do like the idea of the 6x8 SEF -- to me it is still a "small" coil, but would cover a bit more ground, and get a bit better depth maybe than a 5" or 6" coil. Otherwise, I was thinking a 5" or 6" coil. But, as you said Bryce, I have seen some nice deals on the FBS 800, so thought it might be a decent option. I understand the point that the X-8 is better, but I think if I can only afford one more coil right now to add to my rig, I would go X-5 (or another 5-6" coil) instead of the X-8. Again, the only reason I thought about the 8" Minelab is because I've seen them cheap...

Steve

For price its best small coil and possibly for performance, but personaly never liked smaller than original coil and for me its not worked better in iron. Stasys

I hunted with the 10.5 stock coil at a nearby beach and was finding all kinds of wheaties and silver, the stock went on the fritz and I shifted to the FBS 800 for several months and could not find any old coins at that site, after several months I went back to the stock (when I got it working) and I went right back to finding old coins again. The FBS 800 works fine for me for trashier sites where the finds are on the shallow side but I prefer the bigger coils for the deep ones ... trashy or not. Unless I hunt really trashy sites I put on the 10X12SEF (I really like this one, just got it) or 15" WOT because my stock has a short.

I have a 5" excellerator and don't use it much ... at the sites I tried it just doesn't go deep enough. Found just a few silver with it. I must say it never really worked quite right from the start.

I have a Excalibur 800 with the 8" coil basically the same configuration as the Explorer and I'm fine with that on the beach it will hit up to 10-11 inches. I just don't have the same confidence with basically the same coil on the Explorer.

Just picked a minelab 8 inch coil up. I have the 6 inch treasure seeker and its a great coil. The stock 11 inch coil is very sensitive and dont understand negative comments on it. I wanted a concentric and not another double d coil. Picked it up new from a guy who got it with his detector. I see two 8 inch coils offered by minelab. The fbs and the 800. Is there a difference in them? I cant find much on this coil. But if it works half as good as my other coils may make a nice trashy park coil for me.