Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ATX Coil: Which one to get???

unearth

I will be using my ATX primarily for beach hunting. Which coil, the standard DD or the 8" round, or maybe both??? What say you, ATX beach hunters? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

I have been using the DD since I received the ATX with no problems. I have the Infinium with the 8" mono, I use that coil for winter hunts in among the rocks. The ATX concentric coils do not allow some of the ATX's functions to work...Not sure which ones. Cost of over $500 would keep me from buying one as, with the exception of the winter rocks, I see no specific need for the 8" coil.
With the Inifnium I also have other coils and each has a specific area use such as in among river rocks, the 3X5 is the best coil there.
If the conditions exist were you would benefit from using the ATX 8" as on land and hunting for small gold specs. The standard coil would do. Also with the 8" coil your arm will not tire as fast. I us a Minelab ProSwing 45 when swinging the ATX out of the water (wet or dry sand). I have not used the ATX for dirt digging.

For any coil or detector selection boils down to:
The need should by dictated by the area and conditions you will detect in for any desired target.
Each coil / detector combination will out shine all others in some area, but not all. It is up to you to select
what you think will do the best for your search. That is why I have 11 detectors and 19 coils.

I'd like to know, from someone that has used them, how the stock Infinium DD compares to the stock ATX DD coil, as far as depth goes.

I have used both. On the Infinium, I replaced the DD stock coil with the 10 x 14 mono, simply because I am not a fan of DD coils. However, the DD stock coil on the ATX pinpoints much easier then the 10 x 14 on the Infinium. You also have the pinpoint function on the ATX which I never use. I am quite satisfied with the ATX stock coil and have no intentions of replacing it. It is sensitive to tiny targets and gets fantastic depth.

John-Edmonton said:
I have used both. On the Infinium, I replaced the DD stock coil with the 10 x 14 mono, simply because I am not a fan of DD coils. However, the DD stock coil on the ATX pinpoints much easier then the 10 x 14 on the Infinium. You also have the pinpoint function on the ATX which I never use. I am quite satisfied with the ATX stock coil and have no intentions of replacing it. It is sensitive to tiny targets and gets fantastic depth.

Thanks, John.

The reason why I was asking is because I was considering hip/chest-mounting the ATX control box, and would have to use the Infinium coil to do so. Won't do it if it means giving up a lot of depth though..

John-Edmonton said:

So, the answer to my ATX question about the 8 inch coil for the ATX would be a no? Is there any really "good" reason(s) to get the 8 inch coil for the ATX?

I use the infinium DD 10x14 exclusively. I get great depth. I run my sensitivity around 7. Could get more depth on higher sensitivity but rocks too hot. I seem to reach the bottom layer under the sand anyway. One thing I like about the infinium coil is that it has less drag in the water. A big plus is that the coils run about $160. I have a home made one piece carbon shaft--again, cuts through the water way better than stock shaft. Search my old post for photo of my set-up. I also never use pinpoint.

8" round ATX coil is good when water hunting and also when Gold prospecting in streams/rivers it fits where standard coil do not and can be used in all directions IE forth and back when conditions require so.

I use my ATX chest mounted with 3 of the Infinium LS DD coils, also modified a std. ATX coil so it can be used with chest mount, this obviously mean it can no longer be used with original telescopic shaft but I have another std. coil on a std. shaft which by the way is very seldom used.

8" coil is a nice coil to use as mentioned above.

Std. coil is easier to use in water than the Infinium 14x10"DD due to better pinpointing.

Infinium 14x10"DD cover more ground on an open beach than the std coil with same depth, can also be used when prospecting on salt lakes, but for Gold prospecting I prefer std. or 8" round ATX coils or in tight places with obstacles the Infinium 10x5"DD and 7x3.5"DD are light and easy to use.

I only use it this way because it suits my hunting style.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will get both the standard coil and the 8" mono coil. Again, thanks for all the replies.